1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

$$$$ Option Question $$$$

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pony Keg, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pony Keg

Pony Keg TS Member

I was wondering if the majority of the general shooting population would be willing to play the option described below and if anyone knows of the name? Does anyone know of another or better way to break it down leaving the most money to the top shooters? This pays out the top five shooters in a handicap event. Would added money be an incentive to play the option? IS $10.00 dollars too high or too low?

Handicap Option $10.00 ($500.00 ADDED MONEY by YOUR LOCAL COMPANY, Inc.)

Pays out 60/40, the 60 is split 60/40 again for the top two shooters. The first 40 is split 50/30/20. so if there was $1500 total in the option. This way the top 5 shooters get paid odd are if you shoot a 93 or better you could get paid

1st place gets $540.00

2nd place gets $360.00

3rd place gets $300.00

4th place gets $180.00

5th place gets $120.00

We are just trying to find a player friendly OPTION that would draw attention. We are looking for Companies to sponser an option with added money.

Thanks,

Jeff

2. Pony Keg

Pony Keg TS Member

3. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Jeff,

The problem is not the options. The scores are so bunched up at the top that the payouts are diluted to the point where nobody wins anything of significance. My personal belief is the targets (35 degree dispersion 49 yard distance) have been mastered by the top shooters. Even on bad days the 27 yard shooters dominate handicaps so only a few scraps are left for the rest. A tougher target (wider angles and longer distance) would give the short yardage shooter a distict advantage on blustery days. Not to mention it would be a real challenge again.

Ideally there would be no purses at all. A pure amateur sport would play for honors or trophies thereby eliminating the potential for financial gain. Only the trophy hounds would bother to sandbag (cheat). Unfortunately this won't happen so we'll keep trying to improve the present dilema. All the best...

Bob Schultz

4. Pony Keg

Pony Keg TS Member

I understand about the AMATURE aspect of the sport. I respect your opinion. However, If I travel to other state shoots or big venues and hit a big score or a big purse, option, or calcutta I can pay for the trip. Shooters I know would be happy to just break even. Shells are $8.00+ a box now. Gas is still over $3.00 a gallon. Targets and fees are costing more and they will go up again. Hotels are going up. Food is going up. There is no sponsership to speak of. Shooting well enough to pay for a trip should be the reward.

Yes, I understand that there has been and is still a concerted effort to take all the money out of the game.

Yes the 27 yard shooters are the better shooters. I don't want to punish them I want to beat them.

Back to my questions.

Why not pay out heavy to the top?

Would shooters be more inclined to play the option if there was added money in it?

Jeff

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Bob Shultz I totally agree with you and have brought this up many times and discussed w/Neil Winston and other past presidents and delegates only to have it fall on deaf and IGNORANT ears.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

You might get more entrys if you set it up as a Lewis option with 5 $300 groups. The payouts would then be $180/$120 60/40% per group and you'd have at least 10 winners and the guy with an 85 could have a chance and a $10 entry fee is not out of line.

Eric

7. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

I don't believe the intention of this thread was to rant about whether or not options should be allowed in ATA shooting. The gentleman has a simple question.

As a shooter who enjoys playing the options and financing future shoots with monies won, yes, the donated money would definitely entice me to play this option... especially in a handicap. I subsidize most of my future shoots with handicap winnings. And at only $10 to play, you should get a lot of takers.

One issue, though... The "added money" terminology usually indicates trophy money that doesn't require an option entry to win. Basically, you're doing a Jackpot purse with $500 seed (or base) money. Perhaps that wording would be less likely to cause confusion... especially if you plan to advertise this in the title area of your shoot flyer.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jeff- It sounds like a good idea, but you will not know until you try it. A few years ago, in an effort to get our early squads filled for the last doubles event on the last day of our state shoot, I donated an ATA life membership to be awarded by drawing to shooters in the first 10 squads. That did not work.

Gary Bryant- It seems that above you stated that anyone who disagrees with your opinion is ignorant.

Pat Ireland

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I am not a great shooter, but I do like to play some options. A 10.00 buy in with a guarentied pot or added money is a plus. It would get me to play over just a 10.00 entry and # of entries is the pot. I like your option. Maybe there should be a 95+ type of option. Bottom line is getting the not so good shooters to put up some money. The class purses have been laughable with out any added money in the shoots I have been to this year.

10. fletcher

fletcher TS Member

I would play but I am a 27yrd shooter and if I am part of what you want to beat I would be glad to play where and when maybe a few of us could make it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.