1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Optima VS Mobile chokes?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by traedawg, Nov 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. traedawg

traedawg TS Member

What is the difference? Thanks

2. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Optima came out in 2000 with the Gold E and is for overbored barrels (approx. .730-.735). The optima choke tubes are longer as well. Mobile chokes are shorter and for the standard bore about .725.

Optima plus came out after Optima for hunting needs with steel shot and are thicker with a larger outside diameter for greater strength to resist steel shot pressure. These are used in some hunting guns.

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

The original Beretta choke system was Mobile, it's based on 18.4 mm bore.

Later demands from the market (mainly U.S.) bring out the factory larger bore, thus the choke became Optima.

In order to avoid mismatch factory chokes, Beretta made different threads and different length for the Optima choke tubes.

4. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

There are three bore sizes used in Beretta shotguns. The earlier bore (field guns) uses the mobil chokes (as noted about .725) Current field guns are somewhat overbore, and use Optima Plus chokes. Target guns are more overbore, and use Optima chokes. So the choke designators actually indicate what bore the shotgun has.

5. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

not all current field guns use optima plus. All the field over unders use Mobil choke except for the new Perennia. It uses a new choke system called Optima Bore HP (High Performance)

Most of the current semi-auto field guns use Optima Plus but there are still a few mixed in that use mobil. (20 gauge Urika 2's and all 3901's for example)

12 ga competition over/unders use Optima Choke. Subgauge competition guns use mobil.

The new SV10 Prevail uses the same Optima HP as the Perennia but in an extended version.

A little confusing.

6. traedawg

traedawg TS Member

thanks everyone

7. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

All my Berettas, whether Optima or Optima Plus bored, use Briley extended chokes for best patterning with the loads I use.

Jim R

8. chuckles

chuckles Member

SportingClaysUSA magazine had an article comparing Beretta Optima vs Mobil chokes in 2008 or early 2009.

They used all sorts of Ballistic comparisons, Patterning, etc.... the Optima chokes won by about 2%.....

so in my opinion they are even up...

the claim is that the Optima being a longer choke makes the difference....

Briley is considered to be more uniform in their chokes vs the Gun Manufactuer's, FWIW.

I'm sure if we asked 25 shooter's their opinion we would get 25 different answer's....

regards

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Here's a link to that article Chuckles mentioned. I think it is a very good one, in general, and probably tells as much as is needed to conclude that there's no difference in the chokes.

On the other hand it's not much use to us, since the chokes tested were all Improved Cylinder and we don't do much with them.

I have a simmering test (done but not written) testing full chokes, Optima and Teague. Forty yards, 0.040 chokes for both, Federal Gold Medal paper shells 3 dram 7 1/2's. The Optimas have a huge, long parallel section, the Teagues none at all. Any predictions?

Neil

10. wanderer

wanderer Member

Any interest in trading optima for mobile choke tubes?? Gary E. Gasaway.

11. traedawg

traedawg TS Member

I have mobile chokes

12. wanderer

wanderer Member

Hi Traedog:

Me too. looking to trade some mobile for optima. Thanks, G.E.G.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta mobilchoke vs optima choke
beretta mobile choke vs optima

beretta optima bore size

beretta optima vs mobilchoke
mobil choke vs optima choke
mobilchoke vs optima

mobilchoke vs optima choke

optima vs mobil chokes