1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

opnion Benelli vs Beretta shotguns

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

what your opnion of a benelli sporting clays semi auto gun vs Beretta's sporting clay semi auto gun?

2. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

I shot a sbe II recently and it was slick. I have owned a bunch of beretta autos in all models and guages. At a sporting shoot recently I heard a lady complaining about powder coming out breech when fired and remembered why I got rid of them all. Personally I shoot a super x1 in sporting but the benelli certainly has a lot to offer as far as reliability. Jim W.

3. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

I think if you looked at specs regarding LOP, drop at heel, comb height, etc, you are looking at identical guns. Unless one has a palm swell and the other doesn't, I suspect you cannot tell the difference in a blind taste test. I also suspect both guns require a regular amount of care and feeding.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The Benelli shoots clean and is extremely easy to break down for the process. Both have crappy triggers and are reliable but I'd give the Benelli a slight edge. Both are better Hunting guns than Sporting as they tend to be a bit light.

When I want to get serious about breaking targets I leave both at home and break out the Citori XS!!

5. smsnyder

Heck, with the price of gas i guess benelli is a better choice. lol By the way does anyone due trigger work on benelli's?

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I got to try a few benelli guns last year I liked the Cordoba the best. With the benelli comfort tech stock and the different combs pads and shims its very flexible. I just could not part with the 1500.00 and then have to buy the optional comb/pads. I ended up with a browning gold sporting reversed the safety and never looked back. I also shot the franchi 712 raptor, now called sporting. That was a good shooting gun also be it gas operated.

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

SM, I don't care what these guys tell you....from the looks of it, none of them have ever been on a Sporting Clays course. The Beretta 391 is BY FAR the most common gun used for Sporting Clays for a lot of reasons. It has more available accessories, less felt recoil (by far) to name a couple.

You just don't see any serious SC shooters using a Benelli. It's a fine field gun, one of the best....but a poor choice for Sporting Clays.

Tron

8. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I see a few Benellis at sporting clays tournaments, but not very many, and usually not in the hands of the top shooters. As Tron suggested, the Beretta autos are far and away the most popular autoloaders for sporting clays shooters...... and for good reason, IMO.

Personally, I prefer the 390 Beretta to the 391. I think that the 390 is even more dependable than the very dependable 391. Also, the 390 is a bit simpler in operation and maintenance than the 391 in a couple of areas.

Why pay $1,500 for ANY new autoloader for sporting clays when you can find excellent used 390's that are at least as good as any auto being built today for half that amount (or less)?

9. 45er

45er TS Member

I don't think you can go wrong with either gun for sporting clays, as long as you stick with the Benelli sporting clays gun, and not a Super Black Eagle. While the SBE is a great hunting gun, sometimes you'll get one of these guns that just won't cycle light loads. That can be a pain. I personally think the Beretta Technys is the best SC autoloader out there. Early models had some problems with ribs separating from the barrels ( there wasn't enough room between the rib and the receiver), but this has long been fixed. As anyone with any experience will tell you, above all get the gun that fits you the best and that you like the looks and feel of. The physical fit and what's between your ears will make a lot more difference that what manufacturer's name is engraved on the shotgun. Rob

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think the Benelli is way over priced- jams much more than the owners think and is far from the best gun - but it is the most expensive one

I would go with Browning first and then Beretta or Remington

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

I've owned two of each:

Benelli: 20 ga. Montefeltro and a 12 ga. M1.
    Beretta: 390 field and 391 trap.

I can't see how anyone can claim Benellis kick LESS than gas-operated Berettas. [scratches head] Anyway, Benellis are nice reliable hunting guns, if spendy. I never owned a sporting model but have shot one and didn't think it handled differently than my M1. I bought the Montefeltro first, no complaints. Then I got the M1 (special order from my gunsmith) and it came without the plug. The incredibly snotty and unhelpful Benelli folks condescended (after several calls) to give me two phone numbers of outfits I could BUY one from. Thanks so much. Several long-distance phone calls ensued to New York and New Orleans before I finally could locate one. Sorry, the experience still rankles. I eventually got rid of both, more because they just never felt right to me. But I admit I got soured on Benelli.

As to Beretta, I wish I still had my 390. The "improvements" to the 391 consist, as far as I'm concerned, chiefly in slimming the fore-end and making the gas system much harder to clean. Nevertheless, it'll go a damn long time without cleaning.

Take your pick, whatever you prefer. [shrugs]

12. smsnyder

i agree i like the new Cordova Benelli the best and purchased one.The gun has same features as sporting model. Very long choke tube, ported and the stock design is good. i also like the cleaner operation vs the gas system. i just hope it shoots light loads and heavy loads. It could double as a dove/sporting gun since i don't shoot clays that much. the trigger has to be improved. any guys out there who work on benelli triggers?

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The Benellis Pass the Argentina dove shooting torture test, 1800 rounds in a day with only a little squirt of lube occasionally.

I would jpersonally prefer the Beretta.

HM

14. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Earl,

Sorry I got on here a little too late, but at the Pro-Am at Nemacolin, most of the big dogs (including the guy who won it) were shooting 391s. There was a guy at the PA State Sporting Clays Shoot that works on 391 triggers, too (I'm sure there are pretty many out there, too). I picked up and loved the Benelli Super Sport, but when I got a chance to try one out, I couldn't hit anything with it! I've shot 390s and 391s without that problem, even if they didn't quite feel as good as the Benelli. Anyway, both are good guns and either will do what you want it to do.

15. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Earl,

I have owned and shot several different semi-auto's on the sporting clays courses. The new 1100 competition is a dandy. The 391 Tekny's is the perfect semi for those that have tinkeritis. The Benelli's belong in a duck blind shooting heavy shells where they shine. My money would go tward a new Winchester SX-3. Not a fancy one, but one of the synthetic stocked dull finish on the metal one's. The finish is nearly indesructable and they shoot absolutely lights-out! Try one out and you'll see what I'm talking about.

As for myself, I'll keep shooting my O/U's!

ec90t

16. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a 391 sporting tenkys for sale- 98-99 percent

30 inch barrel

case

regards

Gene

17. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Active Member

smsnyder shoot that Cordoba some more and you shouldn’t need any trigger work done. Takes about 2k rounds or so for it to settle in, at least it does on the Super Sport which is basically the same gun. Shot with a gentleman this summer that had Pat Gottberg do a release on his Super Sport so I know Pat is familiar with them. That guy shoots more than 20k a year but went to the release more for accuracy than recoil. Set it up with the shims correctly and you shouldn’t feel a thing. I need a PFS on my O/U’s but can shoot a SS all day long with 1 1/8 oz. sporting loads. The higher comb helps, not the tallest which is for scopes but the mid height. I see more and more Super Sports on the sporting circuit and those that shoot them do so very well. You can’t ride the birds with the Cordoba or SS, it is fast and if you miss the window it is too late. I know the SS will shoot 7/8 oz. loads without issue so you should be able to shoot light loads with your Cordoba.

18. Loyac

Loyac Member

If you can find a Beretta 390 Sport with a flat rib 30" barrel, BUY IT. You will not regret it. John

19. jackaroo

jackaroo TS Member

I think Benelli is a division of Beretta? if so seems like there wouldnt be much of a difference in the two.

20. oz

oz Active Member

Benelli......the Berettas probably don't kick as hard (gas) but you can shoot a benelli till your shirt gets dirty from the gunk in the action before you have to clean it. If you feed it good ammo it WILL work all the time. oz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta shotguns price

forum benelli vs beretta for clay sports