1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

opions on mec 9000 loaders

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

How do the newer models compare to older models, besides the larger primer feed tray what if any are the difference? Also compared to a 8567 grabber is there a preference? I have a chance to buy a Newer model 9000 bought last year for 325 a older Like new about 8 years old for 250 or as 8567 for 190????? The older model was set up and then never used, it really looks like its never been used.

2. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

I sell, load, and service on MEC reloaders. I will personally say this: I load on an older model 9000 Hydraulic. It loads wonderful shells. Before I actually bought this loader used, I ONLY believed that single stage reloaders (600 jr. and sizemaster) loaded the best. Yes, I have owned and tried them all. I still think that all of the above load great shells! About two months ago, a fellow (off this site) bought a 9000GN off of me. He asked if I would set it up for him. I hesitated for awhile (due to shipping expenses and past issues), but I said yes. Anything for a customer, and anything for a buck. I set the loader up, and I couldn't believe it. They have made major improvements to the loader. I loaded about 2 boxes of shells on it, and I was so impressed on how it how it loaded shells! I don't think you could wrong with a new 9000G or hydraulic.
    Matt Woodson - Woodson Enterprises
    (270) 804-5454

3. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

I have loaded for at least 15 years on a Mec Hydraulic. It loads pefect reloads Plus the fact, Mec really stands behind their products, I have owned at least 6 or 7 different models, They all performed as you expect a MEC to get the job done,turning out great reloads.
    JJJ

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have no problem with MECs them selves. My interest is in if anyone may have a newer model and a older and may have noticed any significant changes good or bad. Also was wondering if buying a grabber vs 9000. Is the auto indexing and shell spitter really worth the extra money? I have been buying mec 600s and 650s to rehab for about a year I reload now on a 650 thats 28yrs old it works great as do the one I rehab and sold. Thinking od steppping up and maybe rehabing the 8567s and 9000s but first want to get one for myself.

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have some of each of those in different gauges. The 9000 series wins hands down. The additional time it take to remove the shell from a 8567 makes it worth getting the 9000. My newest model is an 05 and I didn't notice any difference. The 9000 allows you to pay closer attention to the primer drop and making sure you still have power and shot. Once you get used to it, it will amaze you how fast you can reload, just don't try to go to fast as you will short pull and not get a full powder load. Jackie B.

6. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I have both. I use the Grabber for my 1 1/8 oz loads and the 9000 for my 1 oz.
    I loaded 13,200 rounds with them last year and never experienced a problem with either. The Grabber is about 15 years old, the 9000 about 10.
    One each machine I can reload and box about 400 shells per hour at the loading rate I feel comfortable with. At the end of the loading session on the Grabber I have 16 boxes, at the end of the loading session on the 9000 I have 400 shells in a plastic tray. By the time I box these I've used up the same amount of time.

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

As far as I am concerned, and it is only my opinion here, but I like the 9000GN with the Auto-Mate setup.

Hard to beat.

Hauxfan!

8. ZELMO1

ZELMO1 TS Member

Stay away from the newer grabbers. I had an older model and it was great. I bought a new one 3 years ago, tatal junk. I was on the phone with tech non support or ordering parts most of the last 2 years. I ordered a new Ponsness Warren Platinum 2000 on wednesday. Good luck with MEC, ugh. Just my opinion. Big Al

9. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

"I use the Grabber for my 1 1/8 oz loads and the 9000 for my 1 oz. I loaded 13,200 rounds with them last year and never experienced a problem with either."

-jbmi

I find that very hard to beleive. Are you saying that between the two, you loaded 13,200 rounds, and never had to touch either machine? No adjustments, etc.?

10. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

I've loaded 14,000 to 16,000 per year for the last three years on the same unit, and the only things I can remember doing are the normal clean and lubrication, replace the cam crimp punch with MEC's longer threaded version for better crimps, and give it a few minor adjustments. Mine sits on a very smooth Auto-Mate also. Maybe that helps. If I'd known they were this good, I would not have bought three of them. All were on sale, because all had the old style primer tray, which if properly modified and massaged, seldom fails to function.

11. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Blizzard, that's true, not one adjustment or replacement. I just keep it clean and lubed. The only thing I've replaced on either unit over the years were the wad finger guide and replace the primer tray on the 9000 from the original to the large capacity.
    In the past few days I just reloaded another 600 on my 9000, again not problem one. I don't know if I'm lucky or there just darn good machines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec 9000 loader difference from old and new