1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions wanted: Remington Spartan 310-Russia gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TW2, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TW2

TW2 TS Member

Are they any good?

I have a 12 ga.Mossberg 500A which is fine for trap.

I tried using it on skeet, and it seems a bit long.

Anybody have any ideas on a lower end over/under 12ga. that isn't junk?

I was looking at the Turkish made Mossbergs, but then a guy I shot with last week said his has been in the shop twice.

Not a whole lot of places around here to buy a used gun, and my one experience with a used Ithaca pump was a little underwhelming.

I know a nice piece will be way more than my budget (or wife) will bear.

Tom Williams
    Boston Mass

2. Stu Pidash

Stu Pidash TS Member

Its the best dang gun in the whole world if it was the only dang gun in the whole world but if there is at least one other gun out there even if its was a non-working piece of crap then the Spartan 310-Russia gun would still be in the top 2 but no longer #1.

Does that answer your question at all?

3. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

If you really intend to shoot much -- a thousand rounds or so a year, look for a used Citori. I know it may be a streach for the budget but it won't break and there won't be any repair costs and it will shoot at least 75,000 rounds before anything has to be done to it. And then if ever you want to sell it you can and probably cover your investment. They can be found for $600 to $700 if you stay at it.

4. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Just saw one yesterday, if this is the gun I think you are referring to. It does not have a selector switch, which means you HAVE TO use the bottom barrel in singles. The safety goes on each time you open and close the action. (what a pain!) I wonder, about the top/bottom barrel thing. Would one be able to put a spent shell in the bottom barrel and a live one in the top, close the action and pull the trigger to 'get to' the top barrel or would this be an inertia-type switch? It doesn't sound too safe either if one were to do that.

I have no intentions of getting one. These questions just came to mind after seeing this gun. Shoots VERY flat also.

Tim

5. barnbarron

barnbarron TS Member

TW2
    I have 2 spr shotguns and a baikal also . I have about10,000 plus rounds thru them and no problems.. You can select fire them by pushing forward on the trigger to shoot top barrel first but you must do this each time you break it open. Personally, I disabled the automatic safety for shooting clays but its not a good idea for field use in my opinion. I have found them to be good reliable shotguns. I shoot the 410 mostly , and the 28 ga.

Hope this helps,
    Barnbarron

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Wait a while longer and save more, look hard you will find a decent citori or beretta used. Cash in cans find things to sell on Ebay. I know some people hate ebay. I for one have supplemented my shooting and reloading componants finding odds and ends to sell on ebay. Its not hard to do. I looked at all the "new" sub 750.00 tagged O/U. I am so glad I waited and bought my used XT with a great Americase and several chokes.

7. BMC

BMC Member

E.Beaver on here who also happens to be the president of our club shoots one, and shoots it A LOT. I believe the last time I asked him how many rounds he had through it he said something like 30,000 without a problem. He shoots it very well too. Maybe he'll chime in here. He's the person I would ask since he has the most experience with the 310s that I know of.

8. barnbarron

barnbarron TS Member

EE,, could you tell me what parts were falling off the
    baikal? I would like to know so I can be sure and reinforce them with some duct tape and bailing wire.. I would like to find some of those 600.00 brownings . They are good guns but I have yet to see any for close to that price that hadnt been beat up . You can get an 1100 with fixed chokes or a rem-choke barrrel. I like the fixed choke myself. One thing you should think about is that because of bashing by people that don't know any better the spr will not have anywhere near the resale value that a Browning or other name brand o/u's will have. Good luck to you and good shooting.

Barnbarron

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It is crap that makes the Mossberg look like quality. But go ahead, try it on for size and form your own opinion.

10. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

Check out the H&R topper trap.
    They are aprox. $350.00 new and they shoot good.

Mark

11. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Spartans are just as the name implies, spartan....i.e. plain, unadorned, and from observations at the shop, poorly fitted. Can't comment on the reliability although we've sent a couple back for repair (not due to thousands of rounds, just poor quality issues like "not firing"). Wood to metal fit is lousy, edges are sharp. Look for a used 1100 or 870 (btw, mine developed a crack behind the ejection port last Sunday after thirty seven years and several hundred thousand rounds.) Did pick up an uncleaned 1100 trade in for under $300, a few rust specs and scratches but fine wood and with a skeet barrel. They're out there.

12. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

A beat up used Remington 870 express that you can buy for a couple of hundred or so is infinitely better. My opinion only of course.

13. Stu Pidash

Stu Pidash TS Member

You should consider buying a Stoeger instead. They are about the same price but will outlast the Spartan by a month or two.

If you bought a Stoeger today you wouldn't have to worry about it breaking till at least April or possibly the first week or so of May.

14. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

I just bought a beautiful used but completely gone thru and refreshed Winchester M/C Trap Super X1 off gunbroker for $550.00. Chuckles that uses this site was the seller. $550.00 how can you go wrong,perfect bluing,very nice wood and a MC stock, Trap Full choke.He has another listed same price!!

15. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

I purchased a new 310S in Dec 05 for $550.00.

Never looked back.

I shoot about 1,000 sells a month. So, I'm close to or at 40,000 through this gun. The only repair I had to make was to replace the bottom firing pin at 25,000 or so. It cost me all of $10.00 for a new pin and I put it in myself in less than 15 minutes.

My ATA singles average for 07 is 94.86 so far this year it's 95.33.

I won Sr vet in HC at the CA state shoot with a 97 last year.

I'v run doubles three times in the past year or so.

I started trap shooting in my early 70's. At my age I'm not going to be a national champion so I shoot for the fun of it.

I also like to tinker and had no fear of runing the value of the gun by making my own modifications such as.

A 3/16 diameter 2.5" long tube for a front sight. Slot in the forward end gives light to a 1/8" sloped insert. Can't be seen by my other eye. There are aftermarket sight like this but none round that I could find.

Made and installed two adjuustable combs. The first used the exhisting stock with the result that the comb was not parallel to the rib. Made the second one parallel. The parallel comb goes straight back upon recoil and is much kinder to my face.

I shortened the stock and installed a thick kickease pad(sp). The gun weighed about 7.5 lbs. There was a large cavity in the stock. I added three 7/8" copper pipes filled with melted lead to bring the weight up to a little over 9 lbs. That extra weight and the kickease took care of my flinching.

I aslo formed a finger grove in the front of the forearm for a more comfortable hold.

The stock was refinished with multi coats of wipe on polly.

I disconnected the atomatic safety following instructions on shotgunworld.com. Took about 20 minutes and involved removing a samll metal bar. The manual safety still works so no problem.

I also, using info from shotgunworld cut about 1/4 inch of the ejector springs to reduce the closing effort.

My muzzle rest I installed with two sided tape gave up one very hot day while shooting doubles. I simpley soldered it back on. Would I have done that to a B gun, probably not.

I clean and oil the gun after each shooting and have never been able to blame the gun when I miss a target.

I know, I know there are a lot of very nice guns out there. My gun fits me, I shoot it well and you don't have to break the bank to have fun trapshooting.

Charlie

16. k newman

k newman TS Member

I just picked up the unfired remington peerless listed on here for not much more than turkish remington. The info I've found about it doesn't have these as great guns of all time, but I'd wager it'll be ticking long after that remington takes it's licking.

I may not shoot it either -- wait for an up market and sell it - never can tell. Even the box was perfect.

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Gotta call BS on you beaver, anyone that burns up $10K in ammo can (and will) afford a decent gun.

18. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Hi Wolfram:

No BS here from Beaver. I can aford a different gun. Could be B, P, K, L etc but I dont long, desire, or need one. Doing just fine with my 310S Russian Gun.

Judging from the first 40,000 rounds I expect my gun to go a 100,000 rounds or more without major work.

But what the heck, that H&R Trapper would make a fun Singles and HC gun, just maybe...

Charlie

19. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

BMC, Thanks for alerting me to this thread.

Charlie

20. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

I KNOW ALOT OF HUNTERS AND SKEET/ SPORTING CLAYS SHOOTERS WHO SHOOT 310'S. FROM THEIR COMMENTS I CAN TELL YOU IT IS THE MOST DURABLE OF SUB 500 BUCK NEW SHOTGUNS. IF YOU CAN DEAL WITH THE FOLLOWING OR ARE AN ASPIRING GUNSMITH WHO CAN MASSAGE THE FIT HERE IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH:

LOUSY FIT/FINISH/WOOD MATCH
    HARD TRIGGER PULL
    STIFF OPENING AND CLOSING WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT IMPROVE WITH USE.
    KICK LIKE A MULE WITH STOCK PAD.
    CROOKED RIBS

I RECOMMEND YOU INSPECT A DOZEN AT A DICKS STORE AND PICK THE ONE THAT HAS THE LEAST OF THE OBJECTIONABLE CHARACTERISTICS LISTED!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington 28 ga over under made by spartan gun works value

remington front sight spartan 310 shotgun
remington over under made in russia

remington spartan

remington spartan 310

remington spartan review

remington spr 310

remington spr 310 parts