1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions wanted on Winchester Select Energy

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cableguy, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

I'm new to the trap shooting world. I have been reading the posts for a while now and would like to ask for some opinions on the Winchester Select Energy O/U 12 ga. I have an opportunity on one and just want to know the good,bad and, ugly on them. Any opinions?
    Thanks

2. drunk_again

drunk_again TS Member

3. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

I do not have one but have read nothing bad about them. For the money they are a great buy. As has been said above, you are basically getting Browning quality for less than the cost of a Browning.

4. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Good gun. Acceptable triggers. Great value for the money.

For info purposes. The gun is maufactored by FN and assembled in portugal. Brownings are made in japan by miroku. FN is the parent compnay to both winchester and browning. That is the only thing common to the browning and winchester.

5. dhockett

dhockett TS Member

I have a 32" Sporting version and am very pleased considering dollar value for dollar spent. The Trap version just has a wider rib, not a high post, which makes it shoot flat. Fine for Sporting Clays maybe not for trap. I went with a BT 99 for trap and use the Winchester for everything else.

The checkering pattern is different but functional. Watch wood to metal fit between the barrels and the forearm. The release lever shudders on some when opening and they can be overly tight. This can be adjusted out. Overbored barrels, invector plus chokes, and ported out of the box and don't forget, Browning in Arnold, Mo. looks after these.

Great entry level piece if the price is right. 5 to 600 more will get you an XT.

Dave H.

6. drunk_again

drunk_again TS Member

cable guy, there are certain things in life one must learn on his own. buy one and figure it out on your own. right now i am reading the classlessfied ads in the evening news paper, for sale, english bulldog one testicle, 500 dollars, isnt that kinda high for a 1 nutted bulldog????

7. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

The Selects are Good Guns; I'd compare it to something like the Ruger Red Label Sporting. Suggested Retail Price for the RRL is $1,790.00, whereas the Select Platinum Sporting lists for $2,625. What I like about the RRL is the fact that Ruger lists the Length of Pull at 14-1/8", which is 1/2" shorter that the Select at 14-5/8". With the Ruger you can add a thicker pad, or an adjuster to get your proper LOP and pad drop, without having to alter the stock.

Ruger desigates the Red Label model with the 30" barrels as its sporter. Another reason I like the Red Label is that it comes standard with 5 Briley chokes, which I use, and have had to buy for my guns. Your choice to make, but if you are asking for opinions, I'd consider the Red Label along with the Winchester Select.

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Prone to forend wood splitting. I had one crack hanging on display and never fired. Took quite awhile to get it replaced. Otherwise, a good value!!

9. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I know a man and woman that both have one. Hers is 30" his is 32". He says the 32" shoots better. I shot his and it felt like a solid gun. For trap make sure to get the one with the adjustable comb. She has had to send hers back to the shop to get something fixed on it but i dont know what it was. She said it "wasnt locking up right".

For what its worth,
    Forrest

10. Bill C

Bill C TS Member

I have put about 10k rounds through mine,I took the tiggers to 3# pull but had to go back 4# as both barrels fired sometimes ,out side of that no problems.

11. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

Thanks for all of the input, I'm probably gonna get it. The only question now is 28 or 32 inches and do I want to spend the extra $200.00 for the adjustable comb.

12. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

13. lumper

lumper TS Member

If you can get it for the right price buy it. Around me the current prices for a new adj comb trap gun is around $1100 to $1200. If the one you are looking at is not an adjustable comb then it would be IMHO worth about $200 less.

I have looked and considered and thought about that particular gun until asking friends I shoot with what there opinions were. One of the other more public sporting clay ranges with rental guns had a bunch of the Winchester Select Energies there for rental/trial/teaching purposes. A friend who is an instructor at times on those ranges knows almost everyone at that range. From what he told me of that gun and from what he was told by that range they were an overall mediocre/decent gun at best and for the various problems they had with them they were not worth the reduced prices they had paid for them.

Granted they were rental guns and probably not as looked out for and taken care of as if it were your own hard earned pride and joy but that said allot to me. Especially when there are so many other choices out there for relatively close to the same price.

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

If you do get it spend the money for the adjustable comb and go for the 32".

32" is a little long if you shoot skeet but 28" is far to short if you want to shoot sporting clays, 5 stand and trap from anywhere other than the 16yd line. 32" us a much more all around length if your going to shoot anything else other than trap and if your going to shoot only trap its basiclly perfect.

The reason I say spend the money on the asj comb is if ya need it later thats at least how much your going to spend and most likely you will learn that a little adjustment here and a little adjustment there will only dial that gun into you and get ya that extra bird.

BTW ... they are a 4-way adjustable comb right? Up, down and left, right? $200 is well worth it unless it is only a 2-way (up & down only) I cant remember which they were from when I was looking at one.

15. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

How can a person say that a gun has a cracked piece of wood on it just from hanging on the wall and is a great value all in the same sentence. If you look at the guns you pretty much get what you pay for. The are a less expensive price for a less quality gun. I really don't know how you could compare a Browning with a Winchester.

16. vaguru

vaguru Member

One of the guys at my club has 2 of them, a trap and a sporting. The trap was sent back the FIRST time for a cracked stock, they replaced the WHOLE gun as there was another HIDDEN problem. The replacement gun just came back after that stock CRACKED exactly like the first. The sporting to my knowledge hasn't cracked YET, but doesn't have the rounds through it the trap did. Stock failure after about 4 months use on both trap models, repair time 3 weeks each occurance. He didn't learn after the first repair and also bought a field model.

Now he wonders if he should have bought a Browning to start with! For the price of the 3 guns, he could have bought a Beretta 682 Gold E combo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester select energy cracked