1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions wanted on Caesar Guerini Trap Combo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rdf59, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdf59

rdf59 Member

What opinions or knowledge do you have on the Caesar Guerini Trap Combo in the Summit or Magnus model? 1st hand or secondary information most valued. I will also listen to reasonable hearsay.

Thanks for you time.

2. 9800312

9800312 TS Member

I love mine close 100,000 rounds through it no problems dont think there is a better buy out there for the money

3. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have a Summit Trap combo 32/34. I have about 9000 rounds though it in the year that I have own it. Not a problem. The gun shoot were you point it and the adjustable rib on both the unsingle and O/U is a plus. The gun light enough that you can shoot all weekend long and heavy enough to tame the recoil and keep a smooth swing.
    I think it's the best gun you can get at any price.
    The service department of CG is the BEST no question ask. Just give them a call and you talk to real people that want to help. They can send you a gun to demo if you want.
    You will not buy a better gun from a better company then Caesar Guerini.

4. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

I bought a Magnus 34" US / 32" OU in 2008. I registered 6,800 targets and shot approximately the same amount in non-registered. The length of pull (LOP) was too long 14 3/4" and the down pitch was too great about 3 1/2" at the muzzle when the rib was placed against the wall vertically. It did have some 'kick' to it because of the down pitch. (Caesar Guerini leaves the stocks long at 14 3/4" LOP so they can be fitted.)

I have been shooting a long time and know what works for me. I took out almost all of the pitch to where it is now about 1/2" at the muzzle when placed against the wall, installed a 1 1/8" Kick-eez recoil pad, and shortened the LOP to 14 1/4". No recoil reducers and no recoil devices. Now the gun recoils but it doesn't 'kick'. My personal opinion is that a Gra-coil or any other recoil device is not needed if the gun is setup correctly for you.

I shot Ljutic's for years along with Remington 3200's for doubles but I must say the Caesar Guerini Magnus combo is the best trap gun I have ever owned. I never liked combo's at the time because it seemed that shooters always had to adjust something when going from the single barrel to the over and under barrel. That is not the case with the Caesar Guerini. When you switch barrels you have exactly the same sight picture.

Make no mistake the gun moves very fast and may take some change in your shooting style to master. I would suggest you get the 34" US with the 32" O/U instead of the 34/30" because of the speed of the gun when swinging. However the high rib makes seeing the target quicker much easier. Just make sure you don't move the gun until the bird has risen above your rib.

I agree with the posts above. The Caesar Guerini Magnus is the best looking, best shooting trap gun I have ever owned. If and when I wear this one out I would certainly purchase another one.

Michael Stephenson

AA-26.5-A

5. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Just to make this interesting...they are coming out with a top single very soon for those who prefer that configuration. Lots to like!

WNCRob

6. jbrucejr

jbrucejr Member

Here is a copy of a posting I made to another similar thread - with some new comments added.

I had been shooting different guns trying to find out what I liked. A friend has 2 real nice P combos and a CG Maxis. I shot all 3 and I really liked the way the CG mounted and pointed. While doing this I found that I shoot far better with guns that shoot very high - like 100% or even a bit more. I would have loved to buy a P gun but the price pretty much took that off my plate.

I bought a used CG Magnus trap 34/32 combo from Guns Unlimited on December 26 - likely my Christmas for the next 10-15 years. It was formerly owned by "ink ball" here on TS - he traded for a K80.

This gun is great - I now have the single set to shoot about 115% high. My average on 16yd targets has gone up from 80 to 91 since I bought the gun. (I had been shooting my Browning Special Sporting Clays for trap - it is my tubed skeet gun - and is now dedicated to that use.) My doubles average has moved from 62 to 81 in that same time frame, and I have only shot 75 pairs of practice and 400 registered. The wonders of a gun that you cam make fit and shoot where you look.

The CG has a 14oz mercury tube in the butt and a decelerator pad both of which ink ball put on when he had it. He said that it shoots like a 28ga, and I would second that opinion, even with factory AA handicap loads.

All I can say is that I am real glad that I could purchase a gun with adjustable ribs on both the single and OU and that has this level of quality at a price that I could afford. I did not pay that much more than the Browning Unsingle combo I had been considering from GU.

What is there to worry about - CG has a lifetime warranty and the pit-stop program to boot. I called them before I bought it, and they said that even though I was buying mine used that they would do all 3 pit-stops and it carries the lifetime warranty.

I have even bought 2 skeet chokes and used it for doubles. (with the rib set to shoot flat instead of the normal trap setting of all the way high)

In short - I LOVE IT!.

John

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Fellow buddy shooters would like to see me get rid of my Caesar Guerini so they can win some buddy shoots, My gun has a 19 inch pattern at 42 paces with a 1 1/8th of 7 1/2s @ 1250 fps. My partner and I average over 80% wins.
    These guns are built very good and dependable to say the least.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

I have a trap unsingle because I liked and wanted:
    -- nice front to back balance compared to all the other trap SGs I shot
    -- not too front heavy (I know some guys like weight at the front but I dont)
    -- moves fast like my summit 34" sporting
    -- better recoil dampening out of the box so I did not need a recoil reducer like the other fellas
    -- with 1 oz 2 3/4 dram eq shells, the recoil is less than ANY other 12 GA SG I have shot
    -- 3 built-in rebuilds at the factory (the pit stops)
    -- life time warranty ... this helps the resell value

9. rdf59

rdf59 Member

Thank you all. I appreciate your reasoned responses to my question about the CG combo.

I own two CG's, a 12ga Magnus Sporter and a 20ga Summit Ltd Sporter. I bought them both used. My 20 has a trigger problem and CG said send it in and they will fix it at no charge and do the annual servicing. That's impressive for a used gun.

I am ordering the combo from Bob Schultz this coming week. I tried the gun out -- it was fresh out of the box--- at Bostic several weeks ago and with no adjustment and the stock being long I missed the first two birds and ran 23. I shot it once more time and got 23 again. It was soft and sweet.

Schultz, by the way, was two fields away from the practice field shooting 100 straight. After he finished, he said that I was hitting the bottom of most of my target and I should change the rib 2or 3 clicks and he should shorten the stock by a little over 1/4". !!!!!!! He came to that conclusion while shooting his 100. That, too, is impressive.

Again, thanks for your input on the trap combo.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gary- I apologize for my skepticism, but a 19 inch pattern at +-40 yards is quite unusual. That would be about a 14 inch pattern at 30 yards and would really smoke a target.

Pat Ireland

11. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

In years past a shooter purchased a gun that he thought fit him pretty well and then went out and tried to learn to shoot it.

It's amazing today the the guns available 'K', 'P', 'CG', 'SKB', etc. have adjustments that actually fit the gun to you. What an advantage over guns available 20 years ago.

Michael Stephenson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

caesar guerini top single barrel for sale

magnus trap unsingle patterns high