1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions wanted - Muller choke tubes...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Slugo, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Slugo

Slugo Member

Seems that they have become very popular. Mostly good reviews, but they are twice the price of most other choke tubes. Any responses appreciated...

2. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

When I have put on paper they have given me the best even pattern of any chokes that I have shot.

3. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

I have 3 of them, U4 in my unsingle, U3 in the top barrel and a U2 in the lower barrel of my O/U. I have had a couple problems with the U4; there was a manufacturing flaw in the early U4's made for Guerini's that has since been fixed. I was unlucky enough to get one, it broke but I met Jim Muller at last year's Ohio State shoot and he handed me a new one with an apology. That one broke over the winter and again it was replaced quickly. Since then, no problems. I don't know for sure why the 2nd one failed like it did but I have a feeling it was mostly my fault. It was bitter cold and I had greased the threads to keep the choke from backing out and was shooting a box that had been sitting in the truck. Again, not 100% sure why it failed but I had a replacement within a few days, all no charge.

Greg

4. Slugo

Slugo Member

two failures out of three choke tubes doesn't sound good to me. At $80 bucks a piece I would expect perfection...

5. Raystownbob

Raystownbob Active Member

I agree with 687 SP II, the patterns are very even with the loads I use. I have 10 Muller tubes from U0 to U4 for my Blasers and like them, no problems at all. However none of mine were purchased new, all on the used market and many of them here.

6. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

I have been looking for a U2 for about 3 months. They are hard to find used.

7. Slugo

Slugo Member

I've received a substantial number of PM's. Most of them are negative, by actual users. I'm now convinced Jimmy boy is a good snake oil salesman...

8. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

If anyone doesn't like their U2 Optima choke PM me. I will take it off your hands.

9. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

80 bucks for a choke that can break? That's absurd.

10. Slugo

Slugo Member

Johnny, I completely agree. $160 for two questionable choke tubes. No thanks. Glad I posted my question, was almost ready to pull the trigger...

11. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Slugo, and don't fall for the talk about "most even patterns." That kind of talk comes from people who shot the back of a target box out by the trap house, if they even did that.

12. Raystownbob

Raystownbob Active Member

You are probably right about that Johnny. The guys I know never even check POI on their guns. However I always pattern every choke with the loads I use whenever I get a gun a minimum of 5 shots each. I know that's not a real scientific test and I don't count pellet holes either but it's enough to satisfy me.

I also won't pay $80 for any choke, that's why I buy "previously enjoyed (or not)" ones:)

13. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Hell of a marketing job.

14. Loyac

Loyac Member

Love my Brileys.

Win571 and Gussers thanked this.
  15. paul7177

paul7177 Member

Found them to be NO better than my factory tubes.

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

There's nothing like a different flavor of vanilla ice cream.

HAP

timb99 thanked this.
  17. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

DIXIE SPECIAL 25 Lifes too short not to shoot a K-80... TS Supporters

I like my factory titanium choke tubes..never come loose. Only issue..my magnetic gun bbl rest wont stick to them..

18. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

What breaks on a choke tube?

Leo Suhre thanked this.
  19. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

What breaks on a choke tube? The picture below is the "exposed" portion of the choke tube, the insert was still in the barrel, was completely split up the middle and I had a dickens of a time getting it out...

unclescreech_2008_111011.jpg

And this is what finally came out of the barrel...

unclescreech_2008_111012.jpg

I still use them, I like the way they pattern, and yes I have put them on paper. There isn't anything wrong with the factory chokes except my full one seems to want to shoot a little to the right of where I aim. The Muller chokes all pattern just where I point and it's a very "even" pattern.

Problems happen and Jim Muller doesn't hide from that, he acknowledges it and takes care of it right away, no questions.

Greg

20. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that. I still want a set just for the fact of how clean they stay, no plastic fowling.

Search tags for this page
muller choke problems

muller choke review

muller choke reviews

muller choke tube reviews

muller chokes

muller chokes review

muller chokes reviews

muller u1 review