1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions Wanted -Mossberg Rifle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Today in the Peoia Journal Star Dicks has an adv. a Mossberg Whitetail Lightning Combo which includes a 3-9 x 40 scope, wood stock and no mention of the scope brand. Price is $299.98. I know nothing of these rifles and want your opinions good and/or bad. If they are bad can the rifle be accurized with a bedding kit etc?

2. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The rifles will shoot 2 inches at 100 yards with decent optics. A little bedding work and some load tuning will get them to an inch. If you are looking for a "truck rifle" like ctreay above they are great. My cousin keeps one in his barn for coyotes and wolves and has had zero issues. If you are planning a once in a lifetime hunt ... get a better rifle. For a barn or truck rifle they are not bad. The optics from Dicks are probable low end stuff but serviceable for general shooting. You didn't mention caliber so the only caveat I can mention is if its a 6mm or .243 or under the scope might be ok, the recoil from bigger shells might be detrimental to cheap optics.

I have a couple of Savage rifles that will shoot under 1 MOA! They have been re-bedded and have the accutrigger and Sightron scopes. Not a lot invested but they are shooters!

Bob Schultz

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I'm thinking of something for varmints-223 or 22-250.

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

For cheap guns, Mossbergs have always been more accurate than their prices would indicate.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I think you would get $300 worth of rifle and maybe a bit more. In that same price range you can also get a Savage bolt action that will probably shoot much better and not require any accurizing on your part. Since you specified that you want a varmint rifle you will want a better scope than what comes with the package guns. Be prepared to spend as much or more for the scope than what you do for the rifle. That may sound a bit extravagant but good glass is a must when you are trying to get a shot on those little furry things that are 300+ yards out.

6. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

+1 for the Savage with an accutrigger!

7. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Go with a Savage even if it is a little more money and buy your scope separately. The mossy rifles now are not the same as the old ones.

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

The Marlin XL7 and Stevens rifles are in the same price range. My understanding is the Stevens(owned by Savage) uses the standard Savage barrel but does not come with the accutrigger in that price range. If you can afford it, go with the Savage or Howa 1500 combo(it comes with a nice scope). They both can be found for $499.00 to $549.00. I'm sure there are other opinions but mine is that these two are the most accurate rifles on the market under $1000.00. Jackie B.

9. 5spd

5spd TS Member

I would get the Marlin X7 ($279 at cabelas usual sale flyer) before a mossberg rifle anyday.
    Like Savage the Marlin bbl is swap-able and already comes with thier adjustable trigger.
    That or the Savage 200 for a tad more, but heavy trigger.
    The Savage 200 & Marlin x7 line are more accurate as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
mossberg whitetail lightning
mossberg whitetail lightning combo review

mossberg whitetail lightning review

mossberg whitetail lightning rifle
mossberg whitetail lightning what type of wood is the stock