1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions Sought - Fixed Comb Too High

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SevenMaryThree, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

One of my good friends got bit by the sporting clays bug and rushed out and bought a gorgeous 391 Target...but he plunked his money down on a gun with the parallel stock before realizing that there were options.

He's been shooting it for several months and the high comb is proving to be a barrier to better scores.

I know you guys are going to suggest sending it to my buddy Joe and let him run it through the bandsaw. The rub is that 1) the wood is stunning and 2) he doesn't want an adjustable comb.

So the options are 1) re-shape and re-finish the existing wood taking a chance that the figure holds true, or 2) trade it for a sporting stock trying to find one that roughly matches the figure quality in this piece of wood.

What would you do?

2. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

I assume he has the correct stock shim in to lower it as much as possible? If so, sell the wood here and buy another stock set. Good luck, Harv

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

There is another option that might help in this case, and that is to raise the rib a bit. Your friend could easily get one of the add-on ribs from Keen Sights, or another add-on rib maker to slightly raise the existing rib (perhaps only 1/4 inch high for instance). This would have the same effect as lowering the comb. I would suggest that they first get a sheet of balsa wood approximately as thick as the width of the existing rib. Cut a couple of pieces as long as the rib (one piece 1/4 inch high, another 5/16th, etc). Paint the wood black, stick a round head pin in the front for a bead, and then tape it to the rib. Start with the lowest add on wood, try that for POI, if not enough change, go to the next highest, try that, etc until your friend finds the right height in add on that will work for him (her). Once the right height has been determined, your friend can then purchase one of the add-on ribs (which simply glue on firmly) and they should be good to go. Thw good thing about this is that it makes no permanent changes to the shotgun. The add on rib is easily removed should that be wanted later to sell it, or whatever, and generally would be far less expensive than alterations to the stock, which would likely be permanent.

Jim R

4. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I had this issue once. I had a good stock man change the angle of the stock at the receiver. This works essentially the same as putting a spacer between the stock and receiver to change the angle. Done right it looks factory correct and doesn't devalue the gun.

Joe

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I too favor putting an add-on rib onto the existing rib as Jim and Dave recommend. The comb remains parallel, the stock remains unaltered, wood does not need to be removed from the comb and the stars shine more brightly at night.

Rollin

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You're assuming the sporting clays stock is lower. It is only lower toward the
    butt end. The forward part of the comb where you would normally put your cheek is the same height as the parallel stock. I know because I've had both stocks on my 391 which I use for sporting clays

If you cut/sand/file down the comb, and try to refinish it, it will never look right. Ask anybody who's done it.

Changing the spacers to get a lower drop will lower the pad and change the pitch much more than it will lower the comb. I've done that to my parallel stock, and it's o.k. but it fit my shoulder better when it was higher.

An adjustable comb is not such a hot idea either, because you will have to
    remove wood from the stock, and actually lower the comb to almost touch the stock. Also you will have to bevel the stock to match the comb. Still it's the best suggestion. I have seen the most beautiful stocks with adjustable combs. Adjustable combs are an accepted part of a target gun. Send it to Tron.

I've put on a 1/4" add-on rib, but didn't like the higher rib. You might. Keep in mind that raising the rib 1/4" is not the same as lowering the comb 1/4". The reason is that the gun pivots in your shoulder, and so 1/16" change in the comb translates to a lot more all the way at the end of the barrel. Also the add on rib adds weight to the barrel.

Low cheekbones are really a pain. My guns have always shot high, and I've gotten used to it -even for sporting clays. Guns that shoot 60% high are very
    common in sporting clays, and preferred by many shooters.

7. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

I guess I don't understand the problem. I had a Urika 2 PT with the high comb and loved the way it shot for SCs. Is it shooting too high for him? I had traded a Field 391 in for the Parallel Target model because I thought the Teknys field shot too low for clays. The only reason I sold the gun was because I went away from SAs and now have all O/Us.
    I would investigate his gun mount.

8. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

On someone's website I saw aftermarket stock shims for 391's and for the life of me I can't remember who did them and I want to get one to try on my 391. Anyway, it looked like just the accessory to have for a 391...

9. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I suggest always start with the obvious. What shims are in the gun now, and what other shims has he tried to adjust the rear stock? I find that the Beretta 390/391 guns are very adjustable with the shim system. Mark

10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Sevenmarythree:
    Sent you a pm.
    Steve Balistreri

11. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I have a 391 RL parallel that was to low for me even with the highest available shim,I sent to Rod Stumbo at Rods Custom Stocks. Rod installed an adjustable comb which works like a champ for all targets,skeet,sporting, trap.

I think an adjustable comb is the best investment you can make in your shotgun, it allows you to dial it in exactly where in needs to be for you.

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

add on rib or lower comb on shotgun

adjustable combs are still too high to begin with