1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions Sought (everybody has one)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bentley998, Jun 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bentley998

Bentley998 Member

I have a Browning Superposed Lightening -early '60's (round pistol grip - no salt) 28" barrel
    I obtained the gun in 1965 from a previous owner who bought it in Belgium -I doubt that there haas been as many as4-500 rounds thru it as it has gone years between use - condition is probably 95% - few handling marks from a long career of not doing much.

I am now a five-stand shooter and goose hunter. As it is choked full/modified it is not as useful for five-stand/skeet as it might be. Am thinking of sending it off the Briley to get tube chokes installed

Question is -- if this is done what is the effect on value of the gun ??
    with thanks
    Bill Myers

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Bill:

To me it always seems unwise to spend hundreds of dollars doing something to a gun that instantly reduces its value. I would rather keep a nice old gun in its original condition and buy a different one for the current purpose (even if I have to sell the old original one in order to do that).

But that's just my opinion -- it's your gun and this is still America, so do whatever you want. I mean, it's not like you're doing it to a rare collectible or something (although I do love those old classic Brownings).

-Gary

3. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I would leave it alone! I think choking is way overrated, patterns can be controled by load and shot size well enough to let you shoot it as is. If you are on the target it will break, cylinder bore thru super full!

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

You have now owned the gun for over 45 years. It doesn't sound like it's for sale. Are you keeping it as an heirloom, or do you want to shoot it? If you want it to be a shooter, shoot it. I have a few older O/Us choked M/F, and don't do too badly at 5 Stand with them. Chokes change patterns by inches, you usually miss targets by feet. If you plan to shoot skeet, either put in choke tubes, or bore it out to IC/IC and shoot skeet and 5 stand. Buy a different gun for goose hunting. The value of the gun is what it's worth to you, unless you plan to sell it. To me a gun is a tool, use it or admire it, but it probably doesn't matter to the inheritors of your estate whether it has tubes or not. My $.02 Mark

5. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

You are going to spent a good bit to make the changes. For just a little more you could get a 1100 little more 391. Save the old gun and get something to shoot and see how much you shoot. You indicate you don't shoot a lot yet if you like it you will probable want something different later. That is what I would do. Tom

6. Bentley998

Bentley998 Member

Thanks everyone for the opinions - pretty much backs up what I thought -I have a number of other shotguns but your kind opinions stoke my desires for another (B-gun with chokes)

As a side remark I have shot numerous kangaroos with this gun so it has some sentimental attachments
    thanks again
    Bill M-

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

LMAO@P3AT!!

8. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Kangaroo gun.... Now Thats Funny- Don't care who ya are!

Kenny U

9. Bentley998

Bentley998 Member

Most the the kangaroos I have shot have had a high decreasing range rate and a zero deflection rate so no offsets have been necessary - 00 or slug to the chest at 25 yards does the trick every time

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I would let the Roo get far away and then smoke him with a 243 Ackley using a 90 grain VMAX at about 3600.

HM

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Of all the flying,walking,running animals,reptiles,birds or whathave I have ever wanted to shoot with a shotgun I can honestly tell you a Kangaroo was never on the list. I'm glad you told us what shot size to use before others on this site started into that as well!!! Now Do you need to shoot them with lights off a moving truck at night, like in the movie with Paul Hogen??? LOL. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.