1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions Ruger 9mm

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike K P, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Looking if anyone can tell me about the quality handling etc. regarding the Ruger P95 9MM pistols. Are they an OK gun for the money? Any info at all would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike.

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Good gun. Better than average trigger and reliable. For the money, they're worth it if you buy them right.

3. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Take a look at the FN Model FNP9...quality gun, with adjustable grips, comes with 3 magazines. Regards, Ed

4. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

I have a P89. It's been very reliable, even with a variety of cast reloads. It is quite big and chunky for the 9mm cartridge.

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

You can do better.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Badly overweight for what it is because it's a casting, not a forging or machined from a billet.

Does take a lot of abuse, though.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The Ruger P series are tanks. They are overbuilt, last forever, feed about anything, and rarely give problems. Resale is disappointing.

The Ruger SR series are different critters. These are elegant arms, equal to about anything out there. The buying public will be the judge on these.

8. Landshark

Landshark Member

Look at the Ruger SR9 instead of the P series. IMO, the Beretta 92FS and the XD9 are the best 9mm pistols for the money.

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Fortunately, never had to use it

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Will take a tremendous amount of wear-- P89

great for just going out and shooting

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. RLC323

RLC323 Member

The resale value is lousy with the P series because there are tons of them out there. Every pawn shop seems to have one, or more. Used they are a good bargain. Like was mentioned before nothing elegant about them, but durable. Trigger is ok, not as nice as a 92F or old S&W Model 39.

12. Ralph1100

Ralph1100 Member

I've had a P89DC for twenty years. It has never failed me. My XDs are much nicer to shoot but I don't know if they'll last 20 years.

13. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

They are cheap to buy, reasonably accurate and very reliable. I had both the 9mm and the 45 versions. Great for taking non shooters to the range. Great for self defense class training. Grate for run and gun combat games. If you drop it in the gravel, you will not feel like crying like you would with a $2000 custom pistol. Since they are the cheapest of the good pistols, they are a good value. If you buy one for $400 and 5 years from now can only get $300 for it, you are only out $100. If you buy a $900 pistol and five years down the road sell it for $650, that looks like high resale, but you are still out $250.

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Have a Ruger P89 9mm myself. Like the others have said its nothing of beauty but great shooter. I like the durability and is a good gun to throw in the console of the truck on trips. I have also never found ammo it won't feed. I compare it to the AK of pistols. Would probably function fine after dipped in water and sand without being cleaned. I don't worry about the scratches and dings like i do on my Colt and Smith. I never worry about resale because i bought it to use and abuse. When i get done with it you won't want it anyway. LOL---Matt

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Way too big thick and clunky than a 9mm needs to be. I compare mine to my 1942 Browning High power and think Ruger went backward instead of forward on that design.

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Shannon---Was it not there first attempt at an auto pistol? I would say it wasn't bad for a first time auto gun. Look back in history at some other first autos.

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

True,

But I had to pass off mine along to a friend that needed some nightstand firepower, for that purpose it works well.

18. codex53

codex53 TS Member

Do better, there is EZ-9 import from Serbia. A lot of people do not now about. It is based on Sig-Sauer P226. Israel made copy of that Serb gun and named Golan as well as some other countries. That handgun is distributed by EAA of Florida. It is half price then Sig, but I can not see any difference, very well made gun. You can go with Glock also. Ruger made good wheel guns as S&W does. Wish you good luck.

19. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I like the SP101 in 9MM personally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.