1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions requested on a legality question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by zzt, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about the buyer/seller thread a while ago, and came up with a solution that would afford the buyer a little bit of extra protection.

That solution is for the seller to deliver the gun/barrel/part to an FFL/Dealer who will ship it to the buyer when the funds have arrived and cleared.

I have received differing opinions concerning this. Some say it is legal, even if the FFL/Dealer and buyer are on opposite ends of the country, and others who say it is not legal. I cannot find a definitive answer. Opinions?

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I should clarify. The seller leaves the gun/barrel/part with a FFL/Dealer for shipment DIRECTLY to the buyer when the certified check or cashiers check is received. In the case of a money order or personal check, when buyer notifies FFL/Dealer the money order has been cashed or the check has cleared.

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If I had any doubt in my mind about dealing with someone, I probably wouldn't and be done with it ... My second choice would be to advise the person I'm dealing with that I will ship the item in question upon the funds clearing and if they balk at that I wouldn't do business with them ... There is nothing illegal about it and will put your mind at ease about dealing with some people ... I for one have never had a problem dealing with people and have been fortunate enough to have dealings with people who are on the up and up ... I am a man of my word and to this day make deals on hand shakes, guess I have been lucky but so far no regrets ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

zzt.... the FFL for the Seller cannot send it directly to the Buyer. It has to be sent to another FFL of generally the Buyers choosing. The sending FFL will have to record the receipt of the firearm in his bound book, receive the Buyers signd FFL then ship the firearm. Considering it involves his labor to do the recording and then sending after the Buyers FFL is received and verified, I would think that a fee would be involved that the Seller would pay. As an FFL holder, I charge a fee of $25 to bring in a firearm, record it in my bound book then complete the NICS transaction. I would sugest that a process like this would ensure some security but cost a little more for the trouble.

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Thanks blade819. I was hoping to eliminate the additional step. I usually pay my FFL $35 for his services. However, as a seller, I'd be willing to pay the additional fee to give the buyer some security.

WPT, that's how it works now. The seller has all the protection, the buyer none. On the previous thread, the seller received the funds from buyer, but never sent the item. It is protection for the buyer I'm thinking about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.