1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

opinions - progressive metallic reloading machines

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by AveragEd, Sep 4, 2013.

1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I would like to buy an RCBS Pro2000 Auto Indexing press but my contact at RCBS tells me that it could nine months before I see it so I'm considering a Dillon 650. I've never used anything but RCBS or Redding equipment so a Dillon would be a departure from what I'm used to. I'd like to hear from users of both machines about them if possible.

I know their warranties and service are the same; it's the operating quirks that I'm primarily interested in. Speed of loading is not a concern either; I need some relief from the number of rotational movements of my arthritic shoulder joint that my single-stage RockChucker IV requires.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Ed

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hard to beat a Dillon 550!

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Another vote on the Dillon 550. The 650 you mentioned is also good and has a higher production rate than the 550 but it is considerably more complex. The 550 makes great ammo in quantities that will keep even very active shooters well supplied. A lot better set up than anything offered by the other makers IMO.

4. 16gun

16gun Member

I to vote for a dillon 550. Mine has given me great service for years. I believe it to be the perfect press for speed and controllability at a more than reasonable cost. I also reload 5.56 plinking loads on it. You will like the dillon products and their service. Jerry

5. drgondog

drgondog Member

My Hornady progressive is great, easy to change dies and had good production speed

6. federal paper

federal paper TS Member

Do not buy a hornady lnl ! speaking from experience it is total crap.

7. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

DILLON!!

Pat

8. Ron Adams

Ron Adams Member

DILLON is Hard to beat !

Ron A.

9. hamm3839

hamm3839 TS Member

Dillion 550

10. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

Dillon Square Deal B.

11. John55

John55 Active Member

I have a 550 and a 650, both great machines. I use the 650 more than the 550 simply because of the case feed and auto index, much faster to churn out pistol ammo. The 550 stays on 223 most of the time and it does a great job, operates much like a MEC Grabber. Their dies are also top class.

12. AveragEd

So if I go with a Dillon, I'll have to buy new dies?

Ed

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You can use any standard 7/8" x 14 threaded dies with a 550 or 650 but I would buy the Dillon pistol caliber dies because their carbide sizer die has a very nice radius on the mouth that really eases the operation. Also the Dillon pistol dies have the seating die and the crimping die as separate operation. That makes a much better finished round especially when there are minor variations in case length.

The square deal B uses special dies and is limited to pistol type rounds.

14. AveragEd

On Dillon's website, they mention that each loader is shown with "options" - which ones are worthwhile for a handgun cartridge-only loader? I will still be assembling my rifle ammo on my RCBS RockChucker Supreme.

Ed

15. AveragEd

I would be using it for 38 Special/.357 Magnum, 38 Super, 44 Magnum and .45ACP.

Ed

16. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

When you buy the 550, buy some extra tool heads!

Pull 2 pins and slide out that set of dies and slide in one of the others ... no adjustments necessary.

17. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

Good luck getting supplies. I've been waiting 5 months to get FMJ 230 Grain .451 bullets. Crazy.....but told I should be at top of the list in next 3 weeks.

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I've never used anything but my Lee Turret press...never a problem with it..and it didn't take me broke...my most loaded calibers have the dies permanently mounted in their own dedicated turret..consistant and very quick to change

19. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have owned LEE, RCBS and Hornady progressives for Handgun cartridges. My last three have been Dillon, Dillon, and Dillon. I do not own the 650 model, but I have reloaded on one for several 8 hour days, and was really impressed at how much QUALITY ammo could be produced on the press.

The 550b is the quickest to change calibers. It does not have auto advance, but there is a little lever wheel system included that works really easy. Switching from large primer to small primer takes a couple minutes, switching shell plate takes about a minute, switching the shell plate about 15 seconds. I will not spend money on any other progressive.

Drink the Blue KoolAid, it is really good.

20. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

To answer the question about accessories:
    1)I already had a tall workbench so I did not use the "strong mount" riser brackets.
    2)I bought the roller handle for the 2nd press, it's nice, but I never bothered get one for the third press.
    3)If you are loading big volumes, like over 500 at a session, the auto case feeder is really nice. Of course if you have a few pieces of really deformed brass, it will jam up and need to be cleared. Not difficult, but takes time. 4)I never bought the adjuster tool kit or bracket. The units come with all the tools you really need, and I have plenty of tools.

The little bins and other trinket accessories are not really needed, buy 'em if you like.