1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by toad67, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toad67

toad67 Member

Please tell me what you think. I have been looking at buying a used 30" XT for awhile. I think that I have found one for a reasonable price. It is a 30" XT with the box, triple trigger sys, all chokes, wrench, etc. for $1600. What concerns me is that although the metal is 99% the adj. comb stock is the old style (adjustable thru the butt pad)and there are some dings in the butt stock. If I decided to keep it then I would probably want to have the comb converted to a better system and also have the stock refinished. Am I going in the wrong direction, should I buy a different used gun or should I buy new. I have shot one a few times but am thinking used in case I want to sell it and not take such a hit. Thanks.

Todd Klein

2. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

It all depends on the price! Another option would to buy an XT with just the Monte Carlo stock with no adjustable comb and have a good adjustable comb installed by a professional. Once again, it depends on the price!

3. warren

warren Member

I bought a new one and it has gone up in value from what I paid. I guess it depends on how long you keep it, but if you take care of it the value isn't gonna hurt you.

warren

4. missemucho

missemucho Member

The XT has just about taken over at our club; they outnumber the others at least 3-1. I myself have the 32" model. I bought it used on Gunbroker and it had the monte carlo which I immediately sent to Graco for their adjustable comb and butt plate. Quite a few of the XT's purchased here have the Browning adjustable comb; it may not be ideal but only a few people seem to have much trouble with them. Somehow they seem to be the folks that spend a lot of time "experimenting" with comb adjustments! The price isn't out of line, though 30" models don't seem to be as popular. The Browning wood finish is tough and I think it looks good, but it's going to get banged up if you use the gun and if you want to keep it looking like new you're going to be in a perpetual refinishing cycle. I understand it's no picnic stripping their finish and going to something easier to maintain. Personally, my gun is a shooter and I can put up with the battle scars. I don't think you'll be unhappy with the gun if it feels ok to you.
    John

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

This happens to me all the time...I find a good deal on a particular gun "EXCEPT or BUT"...(my emphasis from the caps in quotes)...there is a little something about the particular gun which requires a slight compromise from what I really want. In your case, the concern is with the Browning adjustable comb and a few dings in the stock which you would rather not have. So, Opinion: a buddy and I have talked about this exact situation and sort of agreed it is best to pass on a gun you have your "druthers" about...that way you don't have to apologize to yourself when (not if) you find something better you wish you had. Of course, the flip side is that only you can measure how uneasy you are about the deal. That said, an XT as you describe at that price sounds like a pretty good deal - how much do you really adjust a comb, anyway, and repairing dings - which happen anyway - in a Browning stock can be kinda expensive...like missemucho said above. Good Luck with Your Decision, Best Regards, Ed

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

OldGoat is right on. If you think the gun is not what you want, you WILL be unhappy down the road. Price (or a "deal") is easily forgotten.

Buy the gun YOU think will be THE GUN for the next few years and learn to shoot it. If you fall into the trap of constantly changing guns, you wind up repeating your learning curve and those 98's, 99's and 100's will elude you longer.

Don Verna

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

ONE of the problems with the XT's adjustable comb is that the through-the-pad adjuster makes it impossible to install any sort of pad adjusting hardware. If you think you may need to do that you will have to remove the original comb adjuster and have a different style fitted so you can put the pad hardware on.

MK

8. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that XT's are available in the price range you state. Start making additions to it, then decide its not for you and that money will be lost.

9. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I would pass. Sounds like an older XT with shorter out of favor (hurt resale) barrels for a price that is nothing special whatsoever. For some reason the recent XT sellers on here think that they are dealing with gold so there is a few right now being offer for sale and NOTHING is selling because the asking prices are too damn high. Just look for a newer XT with 32" barrels which you should be able to get in the same price range, but will be much easier to sell if you choose.

10. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Hi,By your original statement of "refinishing the stock" tells me you should pass.If the stock was refinished the cost to do so would not justify the purchase price and will be very hard to make it look factory.You could just use it as a shooter and convert the Browning hardware to better aftermarket hardware for the comb.I recommend you PASS.......By the way,I read recently that the new XT's ,post Oct.2009 production, are to be made with factory lenghtened forcing cones,if that would interest you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.