1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions Please shooting sticks vs. bi-pod

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by kolar412, Oct 23, 2016.

1. kolar412

kolar412 Member

In the next few months I am hoping to do some coyote hunting. I will need either shooting sticks or a bi pod. Please let me know my fellow hunters opinions on each, and which brand of sticks and bi=pods you all prefer. If it matters I'll be using a .223 and I am 6'2 1/2" tall and 300 lbs if for some reason that info is needed. Thanks everybody!

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I do quite a bit of hunting - every rifle is equipped with a bipod (most all are Harris) - I find it is the best for a stable rest (your body becomes the 'third leg').

That being said I'd say look at a 'BogPod' or the like as a secondary brace - these are tripod assemblies which are much more stable than other types of 'sticks.' The bipod will be much more stable, especially for long shots, but the BogPod is a good second choice - it can also be used from the standing position, which can get you over tall grass or other obstacles.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    SD Trap Family thanked this.
  3. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Primos has a tripod which is activated by a trigger at the top. This, to me, is the way to go. There is a rubber strap holding the legs together, press the trigger to extend the legs, and once extended, you just spread them as far apart as you want, rest your rifle in the swivel yoke, aim. and shoot. If the animal is moving, you can just grip the trigger on the tripod to release the leg lock, lean the tripod over to realign with the animal, release the bipod trigger, and shoot.
    I have looked at the BogPods and other options, but the Primos tripod seems, to me, to be the easiest to operate, steadiest, and most adaptable for height. They also come in short, for sitting or kneeling, and high, for kneeling or standing. At 6'4", the Primos is the best I have found for my height.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I use a tripod. I marked the legs with tape so I know how far to drop them. Almost instant setup, very stable.

5. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Well-Known Member

I use sticks and I made mine with two electric fiberglass electric fence poles cut to length then I slid automotive hose over the end about 6 inches in length then put castration bands on two, to hold them together. I spray painted them also to match the season. Cost under $10 and better made than you can buy.
    I also have a Stoney Point folding sticks, great For portability but not as sturdy as home made sticks.
    Just FYI I also have Harris bypod buy only use them Praire dog shooting.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    aloha one thanked this.
  6. DuckNut

DuckNut Well-Known Member

I use the truck window.

chee40 thanked this.
  7. Seft02

Seft02 Member

if you sitting on the ground i would use a bipod

8. bowhunterklk

bowhunterklk Member

Two Sticks and hose make a great rest for stalking or blind hunting

9. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I use the Harris HB25CS 13-1/2" to 27" bi-pods most of the time now. I do have some of the 25" also.

The 13-1/2" to 27" works for me while sitting or laying prone, I am 6 ft tall. I shoot from the prone position most of the time. The 13-1/2" to 27" is just a little tall for shooting prone on flat ground. They still work you just need to put the bi-pod legs in a little low spot or put your elbows and chest on a little bit of a high spot.

I do use shooting sticks when sitting on steep hill sides. My bi-pods stay on the rifle when I do use shooting sticks.

big kahuna thanked this.
  10. mac1

mac1 Active Member

I have and use both systems now most of my shooting is setting on a stool and I prefer the Primos sticks
    for that . I actually think it would be whichever you are the most comfortable with.

Mac

11. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Another vote for the Harris Bipods. I am 6"-04" . Derby is spot on about using sticks on the hillside.The bipods don't extend out far enough when you are on the side hill. If your hunting and you use treking poles then they convert to sticks quite easy. If you get the Harris swivel bipod note that it may scar your forearm if you have a beavertail or larger forearm. I have both swivel and non swivel for use on different rifles

12. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Active Member

Just something to think about and this did happen to a fellow that I have hunted with. A fellow new to the group was bragging about his shooting sticks and how they were better than a by-pod and did not add weight to the gun. They stopped the truck along the road on top of a ridge and get out, walk over to look down into a draw that you could not see into from the road. Saw two nice bucks. JR left his shooting sticks in the truck, two of them had their guns with their by-pods attached. Any guesses as to who got the deer? Not JR who was trying to get a good rest on a rotten fence post.

Jim Bradbury

13. aloha one

aloha one Well-Known Member

When shooting really big bores, shooting sticks are the only way to go. I've seen lead sleds go sailing off the bench with some big bores. When I shoot something that really kicks, I have a good friend to stand behind me, and catch me as I sail backwards. When you push 175 ft lbs, of recoil, you cannot deny the laws of physics, you are going to move! Ask OMGB, as he shoots a 12 gauge paradox like rifle. clear your sinuses with that baby!

Aloha

14. jredding

jredding Active Member

Sticks all the way calling dogs for me, bi-pods fixed to a gun are a tangle in the brush, cause a lot of fidgeting getting set up, and most of the time I never get one to come in where I think it will and have had no luck with the pods if I have to adjust. We call a lot of cedar country though and usually stay out of the wide open desert.

15. Yoda117

Yoda117 Active Member

Shooting sticks or PRS SSP1 rest. Have to say that I was never a big fan of the rests until I stumbled across the PRS line of stuff. Nice, affordable, quality built (in the US), and modular for when I want to strap on a pair of binos or rangefinder.

David Weeks thanked this.
  16. gun fitter

gun fitter Well-Known Member

bi-pod when you can use one. in high cover prone or sitting might not be an option then sticks are the only way so both.

17. Super X

Super X Member

I used to use a mono-pod (single stick) for dogs, but then started using my knees as a rest. If the coyote come in where you are set up with the stick, all is good but that rarely happens and then you have to move and adjust the stick and risk getting busted,

18. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I'm with you Super x. I've used and still have both sticks and a Harris bipod, but prefer to use my knees while sitting. The sticks take another hand and the Harris bipods I have are fixed and do not swivel left and right. It may be a little difficult tracking a coyote horizontally with that type of bipod on the ground. Just my experience.

Steve

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If your talking about standing up, I like tripods. You can adjust for the ground and they are a lot more stable than either the mono, or bi-pod. I bought mine from Midway. Its light, east to set up, and folds up into a very short package. If your talking about prone, then bi-pot is the way to go. Lots of choices there, go to amazon for the best selection and prices. The one I have on myAR-15 cost about $30 and works as well as a $100+ Harris.

20. mach1cj

mach1cj Member

I've tried both and I still like my Harris 13 1/2- 27" bipod.