1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions please on Hodgdon's International

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Border Bandit, Jun 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Fairfield PA
    Opinions please on Hodgdon

I'm thinking of trying Hodgdon's International for my handicap loads. Can anyone share their experience with this powder, especially comparing it with Green Dot or American Select. I use Remington STS style hulls and Downrange fig 8 wads. Are there any cold weather issues with certain primers, such as Remington? Thanks in advance.

2. bigben

bigben Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Mike, having shot all three of the mentioned powders a lot, my favorite is International, it meters the best for me, and is a killer 27 yd. powder. The original l Nitro 27 factory load was 21.7 gr. International, fig 8 wad, STS primer, that load is 1255 fps, with a low pressure of 9100 . A great 1200 fps loasd is 20.9 grains of International , SYS primer and a fig 8 wad, the pressure is 7000. Should you want to go 1145, use 18.6 gr. International, STS primer and fig 8 wad, it really cooks targets too! No issues in zero weather shooting. incin=erate em!
  3. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Nov 15, 2008

I use International Clays in my cap loads and also my 1 oz loads.
    Bought a few pounds by accident many years ago. One day thought I'd
    try it and I was really surprised. Burns very clean.
    What really surprised me was how soft the loads felt. I know that
    given the same velocity with the same wad and 1 1/8oz of lead, the laws
    of physics refute that statement, but it's how it felt to me.
    On the pattern board International has a slightly better pattern then
    Green Dot. I have no experience with American Select. My patterns were
    with STS hulls, Rem primers, Windjammer wads, loaded to 2 3/4 dram.
    Cold weather has had no effect for me with Int Clays. I've also used it
    in AA hulls with Win and Cheddite primers.
    Right now Recobs has Int Clays for $124.99 @ 8 lbs. Green Dot and American
    Select are $112.49 @ 8 lbs. That's about a half a penny more out of an
    8lb keg per shell for Int Clays. But to me it's a moot point because I have
    confidence with my loads.
    Mike C.
  4. ABH

ABH Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Parsippany, NJ
    While your at it Mike, try Universal also. I like it even better for the 27yd line with 1 1/8oz loads. It meters like sand.

ART H.
  5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
    I will caution users of Clays Universal against loading light charges of it. It will not burn - not just won't burn cleanly, won't burn at all - unless you use enough to get the pressure and burning temperature way up there. When I experienced unburned flakes all over my gun and hands, I contacted Hodgdon's and that was their advice.

6. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

May 13, 2008
    I have shot nothing but Clays (and tried Clay Dot) and International since using the last of my 452. That shows how long I have been using them, 452 hasn't been made for about 25 years, I think. I am using International now for all my loads. Remington hull, Cheddites for singles and doubles, STS for handicap, and Figure 8 wads with 1 1/8 of 7 1/2. International , no matter the size of the powder charge, burns completely, is consistent in metering, and performs well with both primers in all weathers. The only reason I use STS primers in my handicap loads is that the pressures and perceived recoil are less than with Cheddites. This reduced perceived recoil isn't just my feeling, but a few others who have tried my loads with both primers say the same; Remington primers feel softer. I don't know why that is, but I like it.
  7. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Overland Park KS
    Have had good results with Clays International in all 1 1/8 H-cap loads. Good powder. Regards, Ed
  8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2007
    International is a good choice for the heavier trap loads - 3 dram 1 1/8 Oz and up. Similar in application to Green Dot, I happen to like Green Dot better but for subjective reasons. Use the Winchester or Federal primer for the best results in colder weather - I did have some cold weather bloopers with this powder and Remington primers.
  9. chipking

chipking TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Hi Mike if you absolutely MUST abuse yourself with heavy 1 1/8oz loads then International is one of the very best powders you can use. It meters great and is very clean burning as long as you keep the pressures in the 8k range and up. You may run into low pressure (dirty)issues if you are still using the Remington STS 209 primers in Remington hulls (the one listed with fig 8 and STS 209 only made 9k for a 1255 fps load)

--- Chip King ---
  10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2006
    I have used International in the past but have now move on to Universal. My recipe is out of the Hodgdon's book. STS hull - win 209 primer - rem fig 8 - 23.7 gr Universal - 1 1/8 of 7 1/2's = 1255 fps at 9,900 psi.

I'm convinced its cleaner burning with less recoil than International. Plus it is totally different color than clay's which I use for lighter loads.

11. cafowler

cafowler Member

Jun 15, 2008
    I wanted to match the Rem Nitro Sporting load, and someone from Hodgden recommended it, said it is what the factory loads are. Don't know if it's true, but that's all I've ever used. I had a bit of analysis/paralysis getting going on loading, and this is the direction someone sent me and I've been happy with it.

I have two loads, an "A" and a "B", A= 1 oz about 1290 fps, and B= 7/8 oz about 1290 fps. Rem hull, Downrange Jammer XL1 wad for either load, Rem primers, load up great on my MEC 650. Chrony'd 10 or so and they avg'd within 5 fps of the recipe. We don't have cold weather issues where I shoot, so I can't give you any input there.

Until someone comes along to show me a better load, I'm sticking with my fast 7/8 oz loads for everything. Good luck.
  12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I use to load a lot of International Clays. Good metering powder and always performed well. I tried a 4lb bottle of TiteGroup some years ago and never looked back. Nothing against IC, I just like the flexibility of TG better.

13. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Central Coast of California
    Nitro 27's use an OEM version of Titegroup. All you have to do it cut one open to see that. TG has a very distinctive appearance. I use Titegroup to duplicate N27's and it is absolutely great! I am DEEP in TGT12's to load with Titegroup.

I recently started loading Federal hulls and there really aren't any published recipe's for TG and Federals. So I just bought a jug of International. Been using Green Dot and thought I would try something new. This thread was well timed.

I am hoping that International burns a little cleaner than Green Dot. It tends to leave a bit of carbon behind in the action. I don't get that with Clays or Titegroup but I sure do with Green Dot. International Clays also seems to reach the same speeds with lower charge weights.
  14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    Northampton PA
    avaldes, you'll probably notice International drops more accurately than Green Dot!!
  15. shrek

shrek Member

Mar 31, 2006
    I use and like very well international for 1 1/8 oz loads.

meters consistant, burns cleaner than green dot, good performance.

I also use it for fast (1250 fps +/-) 1 oz silo pigeon (feathered rat) loads.

for slower 1 oz loads there are better choices.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.