1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions Please...Kolar Sporting Clays gun......

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DUCKDIGGLER, Aug 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DUCKDIGGLER

DUCKDIGGLER TS Member

Howdy Gents,

New guy here from CT. I am a life-long shooter 40 years old (trap, skeet, 5-stand and sporting). I have owned all the major entry level target guns and enjoyed most of them. 1100, 870 Comps, 390-391s, 687, 425, XS, Ultra..Cynergy and on and on.

I have decided that it is time for my first(as my friends say) "Big Boy Gun".

I am first and foremost a sporting clays shooter, I shoot skeet the most but normally do that with a tighter choked sporting gun, low gun and play with break points, doubles on all and reverse doubles (you get the point). I do shoot trap but have BT-99 that fits me well and I shoot decent. So my quest here is for a solid, durable sporting gun.

From what I have read during the research process Kolar's Sporting Gun is just that. In fact the only negative I can find is the weight. I have been drawn to Kolar since they were introduced but purely on a look and reputation level.

I have a max budget of $6500...can stretch it a wee bit if need be.

My questions to you fine gents are as follows:
    1.What are your thoughts on Kolar as a sporting gun, good and bad please.

2. As I am looking to a used gun to fit my budget....what do I really need to pay attention to as far as buying a used Kolar? (ie.Serial #s or wear areas)

3. How is Kolar's customer support? Will it cost me a small fortune to keep this gun maintained?

4 I am looking at a 32" low rib gun with .740 bores....any ideas on where to
    look?

5. If you think I should look at another gun....please share the what and the whys.

Thank you all in advance! DD

2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Duck, there are a couple of things going for Kolar. There is no one, anywhere, that has better customer support or service....fast service. If the time ever comes that you want custom fitting, a trip to Racine is a memorable experience, and will hook you up with one of the best in the business; Jeff Mainland. Turnaround time = 6 weeks with Wenig doing the finish & checkering. There's a fellow from Harrisburg I've shot sporting with, who has the exact setup I've just described, and he's thrilled with it.

Best...mike

3. cafowler

cafowler Member

Welcome to trapshooters, about time you found your way over here.

I think the Kolar's are a top gun, as fine as any of the other top 3 with fewer service/maintenanc issues. If you like a heavier gun, this will fit the bill. If you shoot a light/short gun now, you might want to try a heavier gun and see if it affects your move to the bird. A few guys that go to a K-80 take some time to get used to the additional heft to get moving. Once you develope the muscle memory, it's a move up.

I met John Ramaglia (sp) at Nationals a few years ago, he really gave us the pitch on quality and I believe everything he said. He's built a gun that will last for years and years. He took care of some maintenance and repairs on my friends gun for a very reasonable amount given the work they did. John's always at Nationals in San Antonio the last week of October. Maybe tell he wife you "have to" go to Texas to try out a gun and you can talk to John then. I shot their Top sporting model a few years ago and love it, pretty sure you will too.

There's a guy on here who sells Kolar's new, do a search and contact Aaron, he may have some ideas or be able to help find a used one to meet your spec's.

I'm a big fan of Beretta DT-10's also. If you haven't test driven one, I'd look into it also. I don't think there's a better value out there.

4. DUCKDIGGLER

DUCKDIGGLER TS Member

Thank you gentlemen!

Great info. I heard the .750 doesn't seem to like to pattern the cheaper (promo) target loads, any truth to that?

CA...thanks for the welcome! I like you thinking.....I'll be in Fort Worth next week on business.....my timing is always terrible!LOL

Any other input gents? DD

5. Kolargunnut

Kolargunnut TS Member

The every best there is ..... period !!! Reason ... their tanks !!!

Customer service ... the very best there is !!! Reason ... they care !!!

.750's are fine ... if you can swing the heavier .742 their better IMHO !!!

I've got a .750 bore, 32 inch flat tapper rib with a full set of subgauge fit for this gun .... great wood ... recent service ... 7250 for all !!!

Be Safe All, Jimmy B.
    NSCA # 604279
    256 996 1177

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Having gone through a similar search for a trap "big boy gun", the FIRST think you need to do is to actually shoot it. No matter how good it looks online or on the rack, you REALLY need to shoot it before spending one cent. I almost made a very expensive mistake by buying a gun that I loved from looking online and doing research, but could not shoot it if my life depended on it. As a clays shooter, you are very sensitive to the dynamics of the swing so you need to shoot it. Lots of people are very friendly and would give you theirs to shoot a round and also contact any dealers around to demo guns. It's a big purchase so take your time and shoot it before buying anything. (PS - Kolar resale sucks so it could get very expensive if it doesn't fit you).

For the last time, please do not buy ANYTHING without having shot it first!!!

Also sent you a PM.

7. autogun

autogun Member

Here is another opinion. I agree only with the advice to shoot first before you buy. Beyond that, I have both 740's and a 750. The wood, i.e., the weight of the buttstock, will make a bigger difference to swing dynamics than the weight difference in the barrels. Second, in my experience, shooting with lots of kolars and krieghoffs, the latter fan fire more frequently than do old kolars. Last, mine are not for sale. What I see in the market is kolar resale getting better. Kolar's are great guns. Oh, I forgot, you asked about patterning. They both pattern very nicely. There is no difference; just more hooey from those sitting on the porch.
    Enjoy.

8. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

I, too, have owned a Kolar...trap gun. They are definitely reliable, but there are others you should look at, as well. The Blaser and the Caesar Guerini's with the fixed or adjustable rib are both great guns backed by great service...on a par with Kolar. And for the money, a Beretta 391 is a great gun, particularly in the trap configuration...just get the sporting clays stock shims...and don't let anyone tell you its not a "big boy's" gun for either sporting or skeet...just look in the winners circle! Picking up hulls is a pain, though.

WNCRob

9. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I think they are great guns, and they keep getting better. I just wish they had the ability to promote their product more, like Krieghoff.

10. DUCKDIGGLER

DUCKDIGGLER TS Member

Great stuff guys....thank you all. Please keep the comments coming! DD

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Another gun to look at is the Caesar Guerini Impact. It swings a bit better than the Kolar because of weight.

Kolars are awesome guns and their customer service is great! I'd tend to stay with the 750 bore barrels as they swing a lot better than the 740's. I've never seen any evidence of either barrel patterning better than the other reguardless of loads.

Good luck on your search and sporting is my favorite descipline of the big three. Welcome aboard and enjoy the site.

ss

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

they are beautiful pieces of craftsmanship....I actually prefer the weight forward for momentum on fast crossers...thats why I shoot the rare 32" Browning GTI's ...wish I could afford any K-gun or a DT10 for that matter

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Still like the 32" MX8 or Mx2000 flat ribbed Perazzis

14. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

If you do much research and digging around you will find several negatives on the Kolars. Weight,balance,triggers are a couple but re-sale sucks for a reason. There are very very few being used for sporting. And i mean very very few. The best advice anyone on can give you is find one to shoot before making your first "big boy" mistake. There are lots of better options for a 6000.00 gun for sporting. And i always hear great things about the crew at Kolar. And the fact they are built in the US is awesome but the gun still has to work for you and your style of shooting. As far as O/U's go there are tons and tons of Perazzi's , K guns and more recently Blaser's on the sporting courses. And for the money not much out there is better than the Beretta DT10's. Shoot all of them you can get your hands on before diving in the shallow end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kolar 5 stand sporting clays