1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on winchester 101 trap combo?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by George MT., Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George MT.

George MT. Moderator Staff Member

Hello, We just recenctly purchased a Winchester 101 trap combo for my niece.It is a 32" top single and 30" over under.It has all ported barrels,adjustable comb,adjustable butt plate and hard case.Im interested to hear what shooters who own and shoot this model have to say and also things that are peculiar to this model I should be aware of. Thanks in advance for any replys,George JR. MT>

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Recoil, they kick like a mule

3. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

A TICKED OFF MISSOURI MULE

4. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Long forcing cones and soft top comb will help tame the mule but they don't lie..they kick. Chrome lined barreels..they charge extra for all barrel work but worth the price. My son shot one at International for a couple of seasons and then one unfortunate day, someone stole it from an airline. Replaced it with a Beretta! His had two Edwards Reducers in the stock as well.

Big Jack

5. -3200

-3200 TS Member

I have had two of them. they shot well but as others have said they kick like a very mad mule. The rib on one of might shot loose. I was later told that this happended on alot of them.

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I learned on my 101. Put probably 15,000 rounds through it the most in one day was 500 doubles. Never thought it kicked much at all. The rib came loose after about 10,000 rouds. Glued it back down for $5.00 of RTV. They are built really solid in the action. Some people are really sensitive to recoil, some aren't. Enjoy.

7. moonpie

moonpie TS Member

I've had many 101's inc the same combo set you have...shot great...held a 96 average..and I didn't think it kicked as bad as others have said...with a greycoil system and a proper fit it should suit you well...the first post of the rib does come loose sometimes but a dab of JB weld will fix it forever...
    one of my shootin buddies call it a "kick 101" but he's a wuss..

8. George MT.

George MT. Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the input! Im loading 7/8 of 8.5 shot for her to shoot singles with so I dont think recoil on the shell side of things will be and issue.We will spend more time with gun fit as we go along.I agree that with proper gun fit you will really reduce the amount of felt recoil.For her handicap shooting we will be doing a 1.oz of 8 shot.I was very pleased with her first couple of outings with the gun,and the look of satifaction when she was really crushing some targets.SHe never really has hit targets really hard till getting this 101.I would like to find an origonal choke tube wrench for it,if anybody has one drop me an e-mail george44@centurytel.net Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.