1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on wenigs harlan cambell jr stock. Please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Willimon1, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willimon1

Willimon1 Member

I am considering buying one for my beretta. I need a stock with some cast. On a neutral cast gun i have to move my comb all the way to the right. My beretta stock is biting my cheek pretty bad. I hope this stock will help tame it from happening. I know custom fit would be the ticket but there is no way i could afford it. Thanks for tge help

2. white rattler

white rattler Member

I bought one about 3 years ago at the fall grand. It fit great and looked good but I could not hit s**t with it. After about a year of adjusting with no luck I went back to my other stock. Trevor Dawe.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

It fits Harlan. Are you Harlan?

Buying stocks and HOPING they will fix your problem can get more expensive than custom fitting one in the first place.

Keller

4. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Unless you are built like Harlan.....I wouldn't buy. Why not go and get custom fitted for a stock that FITS YOU and not Harlan. I like Harlan and Wenig both, but that stock is marketing hype based on a top shooter performance.

5. John55

John55 Active Member

I have two of them, one on my single barrel and another on the doubles gun. I'm not built anything at all like HC but these stocks fit me like a glove. They are the most comfortable gun stocks I've ever used by a wide margin. Never once have the guns got into my cheek or bit me in any way like most factory stocks do. Best money I ever spent on shooting gear!

6. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Go to Dennis Devault for a stock for you. He designed it.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Geez, At the 2010 Grand, I purchased one, LHanded, was able to try 5 or 6 till I found the one I needed. Was able to go out front and shoot them all.

Still shooting it, 2 3/4 1 1/8 for singles, nitro 27 1 1/8 for caps. never get the pounding I did with my Rad equipped P-gun stock.

I'd say spend the money IF you find one that calls your name.

If it wasn't for my dropping 2 of my last 400 singles targets, I'd be right up there with Dr. "shoutloud"..

bigmperazzi_2008_030327.jpg

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Harlan rose to stardom, shooting a mach-one, designed by Dennis DeVault--all the the others have tried to copy the basic design---the truth is in the personal fitting of the gun. Buying an over the counter clone will not do the job if you are a serious competitive shooter, go to the guru Dennis..

Phil Berkowitz

9. BigM-Perazzi

It's a stock design, not a name your buying...

If you feel you must, send DeVault a donation..

I doubt Dennis is going to give you a decent wood stock of his design for the $1500 you can get a well fitting Wenig for.

Jim Chapman

hellmi.jpg

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Boy that's a beauty Jim. Now do you automatically get a Harlan belly with the stock or does that come later?

11. BigM-Perazzi

Nah, Harlan shoulders...

12. SC trapshooter

SC trapshooter Member

I'm with BigM-P. Went to the Grand and test drove some stocks. Bought one and shot a 197 the next day. Just for fun, went back to Wenig and asked them if I could return it, they said sure, told them just kidding. It has increased both 16 yd. and handy ave. If I could only shoot doubles ----

13. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

Let them fit you. It's really not that bad and you will be amazed at how well it mounts time after time. Really takes the recoil out too. Let Bill or Jimmy work there magic. You will not regret it. I have never worked with Dennis Devault but I'm sure he is everything everybody says about him. Have never heard a bad thing about the man. Rich

14. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Find out what shoots they are exhibiting at, go there with your gun, tell them what you are after, try one or two on for size and likely you'll be good to go on the spot. Otherwize have them make you one that fits. Wenig is a professional outfit that makes a great product. And instead of thinking you need a "Harlan Stock", consider the "New American" style. Same, just not as radical. In fact I think Harlan style is a New American. Perhaps with some mods. Here is a "New American" I use on my MX2000.
    mia_2008_0303351.jpg
    This stock was made for a friend in New Ameircan style.

15. Willimon1

Willimon1 Member

I appreciate all the comments. I have to do something! I really dont like shooting and after a day having a spot of skin missing from my cheek.

16. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Willmon, a new stock will not fix your biting problem. A shooter I know whose wife's face was constantly being torn up, finally went to Dennis DeVault. After years of punishment her problem was cured.

Phil Berkowitz

17. BigM-Perazzi

And without stock work Phil, Dennis fixed her problem how???

18. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Dennis built her a stock after 2 days of trial & fitting, I believe she shot 3 flats of shells during the process.

Phil Berkowitz

19. BigM-Perazzi

So why did you say "a new stock will not fix your problem", when in fact, that's what you did?

20. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

A new stock without a stock fitter who knows what to do is just that a new stock & nothing else. J2Jake---where are U?
    Tell them the story on your & Sarah's fitting experience.

Phil Berkowitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.