1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Toyota Tundra

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kgun_shooter, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I'm thinking of trading for one of these vehicles, any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Looking for pros and cons.

Thanks!

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I owned one for three years. Great dependable vehicle, drove great and looked nice. Not really a full size truck, underpowered and mileage not so good. Got rid of it for a bigger truck. Buy an F250 and be done with it

3. rtclark21

rtclark21 Member

I have an 08' with the 5.7L V8 with 53k miles - no issues whatsoever. 4x4, Off-road & towing package. I've hauled a skid-steer with no issues, plenty of power. Average around 16.5 MPG highway & city. Reliable and drives well. Really can't think of any cons.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Everybody I know that has one loves it, if I wanted a pick up I would probably buy one ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. mooneymissle

mooneymissle Member

cuban: You must have had a 6 cyl. My v-8 will push you back in the seat. Drinks the gas though!

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I know several shooters who have a tundra & they are very pleased. I also know several shooters who have a new F 150 with the eco-boost and they are very pleased also. With either you can't go wrong.

Phil Berkowitz

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Only knew 1 person that owned 1 he liked it but it REALLY liked gas so he traded it for (I think) a Ford. I haven't seen the new one yet but he says it's much better. Ross Puls

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I had a V8 and was pulling a 15ft travel trailor up hill in the montains with my foot to the floor at 60mph and would go no faster when along came a F250 deisel pulling a 32Ft and he passed me going at least 80. They do not have enough power period

9. oz

oz Active Member

the v8's have plenty of power. I have a 2005. the only complaint I have is the bumpers are made out of dog shit. You have to get good aftermarket bumpers.

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Great truck

Those and the Nissans have really pushed the American truck companies on quality control and customer satisfaction issues

Gene

11. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

I have owned 2 of them- 1st was a 2000 when they first came out. The engine had a factory defect of poor O2 sensors. I burned the valves out @ 105,000 miles($10K new engine). I loved the truck up to that point and was not happy that the factory would not do anything about the problem( valves burned because of the sensors).They had a recall @ 50K miles but I was not informed.

I bought a 2010 Tundra 4x4 w/ the new smaller V8 they came out w/. DOG- had front end noise @18,000 miles and they replaced front bearings and the front differ. Traded it in the next week! The mileage sucked- probably about 15-16 and I drive about 80% hwy in no traffic.They just suck in my opinion- their quality control has slipped. I would buy a Ford again.

12. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Why would anyone even consider any other pick-up truck than the one that has outsold every other for the last 35 years...FORD...

13. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

One of the guys working for me has one, his biggestest Complain is BIG turning radius.

14. Westie

Westie Member

Bought a 2012 top end model, Crew Max in Jan. Get abot 15 MPG average and love the truck. Ride is a little more "trucky" than my Silverado was. Chevy had the full time 4 wheel drive capability and Tundra doesn't. Ride is jerky on dry pavement in 4 wheel because wheels are all pulling the same. I love the truck and would get another one. Plenty of power! Noted for trailer towing so that should tell you something.

15. Two Dogs

OK...Just some facts here...In every truck test, whether by the big 3 or Consumers Union, the Toyota has came in last place, and has the worst trade-in value of all..

16. Westie

Westie Member

Just now looked on Consumer's Reports. Three recommended full-sized trucks. Number one is Chevy Avalanche. Number two is the Tundra. Very close behind at number three is the Ford F150.

17. Two Dogs

Dam.. I hate it when real facts get in the way....lol

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

My uncles '02 has done very well other than he also had the o2 sensor issue that fortunantly triggered a check engine event before it did any damage..we pulled a large flatbed loaded with a FarmAll tractor chained down and it towed well but drank fuel like a fish...his truck only gets about 3mpg more overall than my F350 V10 and 3mg less when both our trucks are loaded towing the max they are capable of...his 6500lbs and mine 11K..but its a good truck among half tons

19. cashishift

cashishift TS Member

You are doing yourself and your money a disservice if you didnt look at and consider the new F150.. it's heads and tails above it's competition IMO.

20. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I have HEARD (no personal info or data to back this up) that they tend to eat transmissions when used for lots of towing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.