1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on the Ruger SBT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hoffman06, Aug 8, 2013.

1. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

I know this may have been kicked around before but now I have a chance to buy one of the Ruger single barrel trap guns and would like any ones opinions on them. Mainly how they will hold up with a lot of shooting and if Ruger can and will still service them if needed. Any input at all will be appreciated.
    Carey

2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine shot many thousands of rounds through one. Ruger serviced it for him free of charge when it needed it which wasn't often. They only made a few hundred of them so it is a rare gun but not exactly a beauty. Sort of the ugly duckling of trap guns but you see very very few. They are going as high as 3k now and will probably keep going up. Bill

3. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I tried to buy one about 7 years ago. They were $3500 up then, so I passed.
    I think they are one of the best looking trap guns ever made.
    Ruger has customer service second to none.
    If you can get that gun at a good price, you'd be unwise to pass it up.

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Ruger isn't known for making shotguns. Ever wonder why?

Why buy a trap gun that never sold, nobody shoots, and nobody has experience working on? That makes zero sense.

-Gary

5. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Thanks for all the opinions and would like to hear from anyone that owns and shoots one.
    Carey

6. jhoward

jhoward Member

I owned and shot one for a while, had to sell it when things got tight at one point. I liked the gun quite a bit, they had a number of features that were very nice. I think they were a bit ahead of their time and that the guns would likely sell better now than they did then.

Stainless steel, over bored barrel (don't remember the bore dimensions) with straight rifling, was supposed to keep the shot form spinning and produce tighter patterns. I never really checked it, so I can't say much about the claim.

Adjustable rib with click adjustments. You loosened a couple of set screws and turned a wheel to raise/lower the rib.

Adjustable comb/LOP/cant

Trigger was adjustable for both reach and pull weight with just an included allen wrench. No disassembly required.

It was a little light but didn't seem to kick badly. They were NOT a single barrel Red Label, the receiver only had a single firing pin. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the stock was a little thin at the grip, a palm swell would have helped it quite a bit.

7. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

"Ruger isn't known for making shotguns. Ever wonder why?

Why buy a trap gun that never sold, nobody shoots, and nobody has experience working on? That makes zero sense." end quote...

I disagree. Ruger did make very good shotguns and they were know for their highly dependable field guns. Strong, well-made, highly functional. I have many shotguns, ranging from Winchesters, to Brownings, to Merkels and Saurs. I also have several Rugers. The Rugers are equal in strength and functionality to any of them. There are those who don't like the fit or the look of Rugers. Some say they kick harder. (that's really the same argument as "fit") There are a million or so of us who like them, shoot them and are proud to own them. My collection includes a Gold Label, a Red Label in 28 GA and in 20 GA. I love them. I do not have a trap gun from Ruger and my only experience with them is from photos. Still, if they are at all like the Rugers I and my friends own, they will be uber strong, well finished and highly functional.

The key issue is going to be long range support. It was a highly limited production gun so spare parts are going to be in short supply. Ruger will no doubt do its best to assist but if the parts are gone, that's it, "stick a fork in you" as they say. I would think that there are better choices for daily competition given that concern. However, if you just want one to shoot for fun or because it suits you, why not buy one?

The Ruger detractors are entitled to their opinion. After all, it's still a mostly free country. Just don't be too quick to dismiss Rugers just because a few people turn their noses up at them. Some folks don't think redheads are beautiful because they don't like freckles. I think they're gorgeous and the freckles are a big part of that for me. Where aesthetics are concerned, to each his own. Pragmatically, as a competition gun, there are better choices.

R J Talley

8. rugershoot

rugershoot Member

I have a Ruger SBT that I shot for a couple of years, never had a problem. The trigger is completely different from the red Label, few moving parts, completely reliable.

Never had a mechanical failure with this gun.

9. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Rumor du jour......lots of the SBT guns are inventoried in Newport NH. Never placed up forsale. I know of four local shooters who use them.

10. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I call B/S on the gun going off if the stock bolt is too tight. My Red Label has a torque spec too but its so the morons out there won't overtighten and crack the stock.

Steve