1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on the MEC 650

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by famill00, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I currently load on a MEC Jr. I am moving a building from my grandma's house to my house so that I can have a dedicated "reloading room" I was thinking of upgrading to a 650. Precision reloading has the 650 at $205. The 8657 grabber for $285 and the 9000 for around $375 I already own a MEC supersizer that I use when I think about it. I was wondering if there was any difference between the 650 and the grabber, other than the grabber has a sizer on it. Does the 650 resize also? For the money I think the 650 is my best way to go without spending alot of money. What is your opinion?

Thanks,
    Forrest

2. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I have two 650's, one in 12 ga and the other in .410. They both work fine. I do not attempt to resize as I have not found it necessary. I shoot the 12 ga shells in 5 different guns with no problem. I have a Super Sizer for the .410 but have not had to use it.

Many will tell you that the 650 is not good as it does not resize. They must be shooting several guns with extreme tolerances on chamber size if resizing is needed. I have heard horror stories about cleaning shot and/or powder out of the resizing collet on the Grabber and above series. No one loads shells without an occasional spill.

3. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

I purchased a 650 used from an ex trap shooter who had never loaded on anything else, and I have no idea how many thousands of rounds he put through it before I got it. I have reloaded 6,000 rounds so far with only a few spills here and there, all operator error, no fault of the machine. I don't have a primer feed on mine, but can still crank out a case, loaded and boxed, in 45 minutes. They are a great machine and I have never needed to resize any of my hulls.

4. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Thanks Jim,
    I will see what Bill has tomorrow night. It will be a couple weeks on this. I have to find a way to get the building moved. My grandpa built it before he died. It is an 8 foot square with a barn type roof and a loft. The dang thing is almost 13 feet tall. I am having trouble finding a trailer that is 8 feet wide! I will get back to you on this.

Thanks,
    Forrest

5. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

loaded on my 650 today,

lately I put an adjustable bar in it, when changing powder it takes 10 to 15 drops to get the powder set, in the 1000 loads done with the adjustable bar have not had it change powder drop, still was throughing the same charge that I had set when I got it.

I have a grabber that I have put back together to load the heaveir loads My A5 needs to cycle when I choose to shoot something that requires a second shoot.

The grabber is OK but give me the 650 that I have loaded on since I was 13 years old, and I am rocking and rolling. with my daughter about to make me a granddad, I will admit to over thirty years working with a 650, with a few years driving a PW while loading shells for a small club group that shot evey sunday, double dipped for that while and hand set, on those sundays.

650 still the best

AL

6. virg

virg Member

I have a Mec 650, 12 ga. used I would sell for $75 plus shipping from Wis. Would throw in a supersizer for an additional $40. I have it all set up and ready to go, it is the older model, with the metal Dies, [not rusted inside] I changed it over to the tray primer feed. Virg

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The 650 is a decent loader. It will size as a separate operation. I would usually recommend that you size your hulls. I've seen too many issues caused by the failure to resize hulls. They almost always seem to make it into the wrong gun. We had a fellow load an auto that jammed an oversized hull into the chamber, just not far enough to fire it. That incident shut down the field for over 15 minutes while the gun was cleared. The shell had to be pried out of the barrel after it was removed from the receiver. I don't feel the need to repeat that scenario too often.

I would recommend that you buy the best loader you can afford. I like the MECs for value and have several 9000's, Grabbers, 650s, and assorted non-progressives. The new Grabber or the 9000GN is the way to go. I'd look for a deal on a 9000, since you may end up there eventually. They both resize as part of the reloading process.

8. famill00

famill00 TS Member

virg can you please send pics? Also, does this come with an adjustable charge bar?

thanks,
    forrest

9. virg

virg Member

Tried to emaim familoo, would not accept the address. I do not have the ability to send pictures at this time. Virg

10. gordy h

gordy h Member

I have a 650 used it sense the 1960's never a problem,1000's of rounds, only thing I replaced was wad fingers. it will do anything you want. the guy with one for $75 is giving you a great deal. Butch H

11. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I paid $200 for my 650,,,with a lot of powder,hulls,shot,,,,,Its a great loader,,,,mine must have 200,000 hulls thru it,,,only reason I got a 9000H was having sholder problems from pulling the handle,,,600 - 1000 at a sitting was to much,,,,now have a hydrolic,,,use the 650 for test loadings

12. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Virg,
    I talked to Jim Warner who was selling me one of these. He is an honest guy and called and said that I should take yours. Can you check tomorrow and see how much shipping is going to be to zip code 42459? You can feel free to ship whatever way is cheapest, with insurance. Does this loader have the adjustable charge bar or do any charge bars come with it? If the shipping isnt outrageous then I will take this one.

Thanks,
    Forrest Miller

PS Email me at f.miller@mccoylabs.com That is my work address and should not reject your email.

13. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Forrest: The 650 is a good reloader for the money. I would take Virg up on the offer and also purchase the Supersizer from him. If you purchase hulls from someone or pickup hulls at the range; you need to resize!! I used to load with a 650 and bought hulls from a fellow shooter. Out of 100 hulls that I loaded, at least 20 would not enter the gun! Once you have fired the resized hulls in your gun, you will not need to resize again. I can resize 25+ shells a minute on a Supersizer. A small price to pay to assure the shells will fit in your gun. Ed

14. esoxhunter

Roger: The bottom line of this thread is that Forrest was interested in a 650 and has an offer that would allow him to purchase a decent 650 for $75 + shipping. If he would obtain the offered Supersizer, ($40) along with the 650 he has $115 in the whole deal. If he ever wants to upgrade he will probably be able to sell this equipment for nearly what he paid for it. If time is not important and reloading is a hobby as well as a way to save a few $$; I would rather have the Supersizer and the 650. I will admit if one wanted to purchase these units new; then I would agree the Grabber would be the choice. Ed

15. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

Hey,
    didn't they discontinue the 650 along with availbility to buy spare parts? Check mecs website or someone here can correct me. I agree with one of the other post, buy what you can afford and consider how much you plan on shooting. If you shoot alot I would try to go with a progressive. I've got several loaders from 600jr.(12&.410), mec sizemaster(20&28ga.),9000G in 28 ga. and a PW in 12. My recommendation would be the sizemaster at very least and stay away from anything discontinued, I've nothing but rock solid performance from all mec products but boy I sure can crank out the loads on the PW. Have fun and shoot alot.
    Keith

16. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Virg, I forgot to add that I already own a super sizer. Therefore the 650 just makes sense for me. I will not need the supersizer that you offered above, therefore shipping will be more reasonable. Please let me know how much the shipping for just the reloader is to 42459.

Thanks,
    Forrest Miller

17. virg

virg Member

I forgot to mention in the above reply that I also have a new in the box 650 for $125 plus shipping. I will find out shipping charges today and let you know. No it does not have an adjustible bar, I will put in a manuel for it if I can find one, extra powder bushings and a MEC powder chart. Virg

18. JLW

JLW TS Member

I believe you can download a manual from Mec. I was able to do that for a discontinued model I bought several years back.-Jerald

19. esoxhunter

Roger: If you already have a Supersizer, I would get the new 650 that Virg has for sale. As stated previously, if you buy hulls or pick them up at the gun club; just run them through the Supersizer. From then on as long as you shoot the reloaded shells in your gun; you will not need to resize them. Virg has the new 650 in the box for $80 less than you can buy one elsewhere. Go for it. If sometime in the future you want to upgrade again, you will not lose a lot of money when you sell it. Good luck. Ed

20. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Virg,
    Consider the new 650 sold! Let me know how much shipping is and everything. Email me at f.miller@mccoylabs.com. I just sent you an email. Just hit reply!

Thanks,
    Forrest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.