1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on the Beretta 471 Silver Hawk

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BLKLABS, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLKLABS

BLKLABS TS Member

Just curious if anyone owns one or has personally shot one? What was your opinion of the gun? I'm considering one in 12 ga. with 28" barrels. Wouldnt mind going and shooting a few of the side by side events. Thanks

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I had a 20ga...it was the smoothest handling and most fun gun I've ever shot sporting with..like a dummy sold it to fund a Perazzi purchase..one of the many worst mistakes I ever made

3. esetter

esetter Active Member

I've owned three of them and they are a lot of gun for the money. Built like a tank so you can shoot them and shoot them. They are stocked high so you must like shoot a stock with high dimensions. Great Guns!

4. cementman

cementman Member

Any opinions on a straight english stock versus a pistol grip on the 471 Silver Hawk. Looking for a 20ga with 28" barrels, screw chokes in new or like new condition.

5. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I've shot a straight stock for 5 years now. The 20 gauge is my primary pheasant gun. As stated earlier, they are a lot of gun for the money. Wish they offered the 20 in 30" or 32" barrels. If your not use to a straight stock, I would get a pistol grip. The straight stock was originally designed for use of double triggers, so the trigger hand could slide down the stock easier to the rear trigger.

6. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

get in touch with larry friedman in maryland, best prices on new ones, i also was considering 1, bump for larry..............

7. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

My buddy purchased a 28' 12Ga about a year ago.Beautiful gun, great balance. Shoots very well but the recoil is nearly unbearable. He has purchased super low recoil AA's in 1 oz. to manage the recoil. The only problem now is that sometimes it will not set the second trigger. Another shooter at our club has the same gun in a 20 ga. The recoil is not bad. I suggest that you find one and shoot 25 rounds before you spend $ 2800 on a safe queen.

Bill

8. shotgunjoej

shotgunjoej TS Member

I had a 20ga and it had too much recoil. Side by sides are lighter in weight and contributes to more felt recoil. A 28ga is the only way I would go.

Joe

9. rdf59

rdf59 Member

I bought one (12ga, 28" 5 ext choke tubes) 2 years ago and used it for trap for a while. I managed a few 90+s with it. I have also used it for sporting clays and shot my rookie avg. I love the fit and finish. I do not notice recoil in most guns but I did feel it in the 471. By comparison, my Guerini O/U and my Win 21 sxs trap do not exhibit the same amount of recoil.

The balance is beautiful. I may sell it unless I decide to attend the Southern SxS gathering in NC next April. I do like the gun, but the reason I might sell is that I have too many shotguns and 3 SxS's and I want to create the room in my vault.

10. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

The gun is a Game Gun, not a target gun. It is lightweight on purpose...for hunting. For some reason recoil isn't as noticeable when a bird flushes, nor is it shot that often, unless your dove hunting. Even the old reliable Mod 21's are mule kick'n SOB's compared to most target guns.

11. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I bought the demo gun at the Grand when they were first released from Beretta, 20 guage with 28 inch barrels. Kicked the hold bejesus out of me, sold after a few to many missed birds because I was lifting my head so bad. It was pretty tho. Owned about three months.

My attempts to lighten the trigger by a good friend that is one of the best and largest gunsmithing store in SoCal were unsuccessful. Trigger was like a titter totter, either to light or to heavy, he remarked to me that the trigger design was poor.

I would advise to try before you buy, as you can see by the above posts that there are several different opinions of this beautiful gun. If you don't try it first you could be making a big mistake.

Tom Strunk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta 471
beretta 471 silver hawk

beretta 471 silver hawk problems

beretta 471 silver hawk trigger problems
beretta 471 silver hawk versus
used beretta silver hawk