1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

opinions on savage 330 over/under

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GD1949, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GD1949

GD1949 TS Member

I am looking for a first shotgun as a graduation present for my son who has recently graduated from VMI. I came across a reasonably priced (under $500) Savage mdl 330 over and under in 12ga and wondered whether any one has any familiarity with this gun. Condition seemed VG and I believe it had cut checkering rather than roll stamped. It seemed to be pretty well made especially when compared to the new pump guns available in that price range. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

They were made by Valmet and probably one of the most under rated OU's ever produced. Very high quality, well built and shoot and handle wonderfully. These can be a real diamond in the rough, especially if you find one that's had little use.

3. vatrap

vatrap Member

They are well made guns, made by Valmet in Finland.
    Parts can be hard to come by, but not impossible.

Mike

4. GD1949

GD1949 TS Member

Thanks for the input. my impression of the gun was similiar to yours and I appreciate the corroboration

5. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Had one but mine was a 333 (rib) it was a good shooting gun.If I had to pick one problem it was the top latch.You must keep it clean or it will start to stick.I used mine for hunting and it spent most of its time in a case behind the seat of the pick up.That might explain the top latch problem.Gun broker has some for sale now.might give the 333's a look I think the extra $ between the 330 and the 333 would be worth it.IMHO $500.00 is about right. trace

6. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Purchased one new in the mid 70's. Can't remember if it was a 300 series or 400 series, but it had a T after it for trap. Loved the gun. Wished I still had it.Never had a problem with it.

Steve

7. Rimfirejim

Rimfirejim TS Member

Had trigger problems with mine. Could not get it fixed,no parts available. Good luck . JIM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
savage 330 over and under

savage 330 over under

savage 330 problems

savage 330 review

savage 330 reviews
savage 330 shotgun

savage model 330

savage model 330 over and under shotgun