1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on release triggers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by darr, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I hate to admit it but I tried a release trigger a couple of weeks ago and I liked it.It was on a Kolar and I shot only five shots with it but crushed every target fron the 27.I am one of those guys who has always said if I have to go to a release that I would quit.My shooting has gone downhill for about a year.I have tried different guns,different poi,different loads,my BT100 fits me well.I have tried high hold low hold.I had my eyes examined.I try to practice with a purpose.I have never been a great trap shot but I have definetly hit a long lasting plateu.I shoot well hunting doves,not bad at sporting or 5 stand.Do you releasers think a release trigger could make a significant difference.I really don't have a flinch.But I do seem to shoot behind angles and above straightaways.Would a release improve my timing on these shots.I don't want to switch but I will if it will stop this downward spiral.One more piece of info I have been shooting trap regularly for about 4 years and for the most part with the same gun.OK opinions please.

Darr Wilson

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

You tried it and you liked it, whats the problem? You have been shooting longer than I have but I changed to release because of pull issue. Haven't looked back. I like it, I shoot it. Jake

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I went to a release a year ago. My regret is that I didn't do it years age.
    It will not only help prevent a flinch, but it will keep you from stopping your gun, the most common cause of missing angles. Read Frank Hoppe's article in this months Trap and Field about release triggers.
    I use a release for skeet and sporting clays as well. If I had to go to a pull trigger, I would quit shooting.

4. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Darr,

Only you can make the decision, it took me two years and approx $15,000 before I made the decision to switch and I must say wished I had done it years and $$$
    before hand but then again you have to be convinced yourself.

I did end up with a severe Flinch but only started with a slight one, it got worse as time and money went, then at the 2000 Grand I bit the bullet had a release fitted and as if by magic I was saved, well I at least was enjoying shooting again.

The scores became better my shooting buddies wanted me back in there squads and life was worth living again.
    In 2001 I shot nine 100's and one 200 in one five week period, went from B class at Iowa state to AAA class at the Grand, 21 back to 26, never shot as good as that before or since but am enjoying shooting my release trigger guns at every opportunity I get.

Life is short if it takes a release to enjoy your chosen sport then so be it.

Yours in sport.

Release Trigger.........

5. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

In a word I think they're "DANGEROUS" I've seen more ground shots than I care to due to people who have release triggers.

6. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

hoggy - I think your statement is "hoggywash".

Any inexperienced shooter with any type of trigger is dangerous!

darr - shoot the release and enjoy!

38-01615

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

A release trigger did not prevent me from stopping my swing...LOL!!! But it did fix my flinch.

8. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

thhwwweeetzzzzz!!! Asked for opinions, I gave mine. Hoggywash or not!!!! BTW Not too many shooters using release triggers are inexperianced. The times I observed shot trap houses or the ground was from very experianced shooters. No matter what you guys say, I still think they are dangerous.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Any trigger can be dangerous. They make guns go off.

A release trigger can be very expensive. Twenty years ago I had the choice of changing to a release or quit shooting trap. I changed to a release and that has kept me spending a lot of money.

Pat Ireland

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

hoggy, I've been shooting for over 30 years, and I've seen more trap houses shot, and more holes in the ground with shooters that use pull triggers than I ever have with those who use release triggers.

Hauxfan!

11. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Darr: I have been shooting a release for about 1 month now. I can't believe how a release trigger has helped me. I was flinching, "poking" at the targets and at times could not pull the trigger! Shooting is now enjoyable again. As far as being "dangerous"; they aren't dangerous. The danger comes with shooters that do not know how to safely handle a gun. That being said any gun is dangerous in the hands of an irresponsible shooter. (Release or Pull trigger; doesn't make any difference). Ed

12. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

OK, I give. Guess the reason I've seen this is because whether you shoot release trigger or not too many people do NOT follow the simple rule of leaving their finger OUT of the trigger guard until their gun is mounted and they're ready to call pull. I learned this rule when I was 9 and have followed it in all my shooting but see guys with fingers in guard and on trigger with gun down. BTW I'm 57 now.

13. FPBristol

FPBristol TS Member

Love my release. Occasionally hear about the danger factor, however, its uisually made by someone who drove to the club. The highways are the real danger.

14. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Every shooter can or should I say sooner or later accidently set off his/her gun whether it is a release or pull. May more with releases, but unless you are standing in front of the firing line little damage is done.

Several years ago a noted shooter in a big shootoff accidently pulled his trigger when he called. The shot hit the top of the trap house (he held a low gun) and then bounced off and broke the target. It counted as a broken target.
    I can't remember whether he won the shootoff or not. Happen 25 years or so ago. - Jim

15. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Hoggy: You are correct. As a certified firearms instructor before my retirement; this was something that was addressed time and time again. (finger out of the trigger guard until you were prepared to shoot) Heck, I don't have my finger on the trigger of my cordless drill until I'm ready to drill!! Once you have mounted your gun and are prepared to call for the target; only then does your finger belong inside the trigger guard. It is funny to watch these cop shows on TV. Some follow this practice, but most don't. Steven Seagall must have had firearms training as he handles a handgun pretty well; however, Chuck Norris surely doesn't!! Ed

16. JW Heck

JW Heck TS Member

Chuck Norris could kill you with his eyebrow.

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Grass grows, traphouses get re-painted and targets get broken much more easily.

Don't worry hoggy-you'll probably need a release yourself one day!!

18. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

whatever floats your boat.

19. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

esoxhunter:
    I notice that too watching both police shows and war movies. I used to think I could tell real shooters from Hollywood shooters by that but after shooting trap I know that's not a real indicator. However as you pointed out Steven Seagal appears to be one that does.

oleolliedawg:
    I probably would be better off with realease as I do flinch at least once or twice for every 100 birds but I shoot too many different kinds weapons and don't even want to take the chance of getting confused at this stage of the game. Old hog new tricks.....hmmmmm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

accidently pulled trigger on line trap