1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Ranger Shooting glasses XL or XLW

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bucko43, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

XLW's are for fat heads like mine...

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

The lenses are different. The Rangers and XLs use a "standard" lens type available is 64, 66, 68 mm wide and also have different temple lengths available so they can fit from a child to a big fathead like myself. The XLWs are a "wrap" type lens available in 77mm wide only so they fit the adults mostly. The XLWs are my favorite because they offer a bayonet type temple arm as well as the normal cable style. Both the XLs and XLWs offer an adjustable (height) nose piece as well. The lens interchange on the Rangers and XLs seems easier to me than the one on the XLW because of the wrap style. The XLWs have a separate prescription lens holder which means you don't have to by more colored lens every time your prescription changes.

--- Chip King ---

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

As was stated above the XL is the traditional Randolph Ranger frame, but with the adjustable nose bridge. However, the Ranger can also be fitted with the "skull" temples...

The XLW is more stylish, but I prefer the larger lense size of the Ranger to better protect the orbit of the eye...

The Ranger also offers a "sporter" model using a fixed Rx using clip on plano colored lenses.

An outfit like Morgan Optical in Olean NY, can dye a lense to any color combo or polarize to suit your needs... call Wayne Morgan...

4. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I own both of these glasses. I thought I would like the rap around style the XLW gives but the more I used them the more I just could not get the results I wanted.
    I only use the XL w/ 68mm lenses and my scores jumped 2-3 birds just in the switch.
    I had to use a prescription insert with the XLW and that could have been the cause of the issues I was having. I have to say the XL are a fantastic pair of glasses that have turned out to be just what I was needing.
    I defiantly would choose any Ranger over any post 4. Been there done that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.