1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OPINIONS ON MEC 650

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BIG G, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIG G

BIG G TS Member

Just aquired a mec 650 would appreciate any advice thanks G. GARDNER

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Good and Slow

3. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I like mine.

Forrest

4. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

If you don't need to reload fast, you can't beat it.

5. johnpe

johnpe Member

The 650 is a good machine. You will need to acquire a Super Sizer to resize your hull. I used a 650 and Super Sizer for years before I graduated to Grabbers.

6. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

The 650 is a great press. You can usually get away without resizing with brass based hulls, but with the steel based hulls (like rem. gun club, and fed. top gun) you must resize.

7. bwvan

bwvan TS Member

Love it...great dependent loader.

8. BP348

BP348 Active Member

I really like mine. A little slow but I haven't had any problems and I'm able to keep up with what I shoot.

9. rosies dad

rosies dad Member

I dont resize for any of my 3 guns. If I get "free hulls" I resize the first time only.

10. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

jbmOU wrote: "but with the steel based hulls (like rem. gun club, and fed. top gun) you must resize."

I have a 650 and have never resize my steel based Gun Clubs. I shoot both a XT and a BT99 with no issues. Matter of fact some of the GC's are from a buddy who shoots them out of a Beretta and doesn't reload, so he gives me the hulls.

Your mileage may vary...

Hawk,

11. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I have both a 650 and 9000. In my opinion the 650 is NOT that much slower. If you shoot just one gun resizing is usually unnecessary. Buy the new primer drop for the 650 and go for it. Sure the 9000 drops the newly loaded shell in a container but with the 650 when you rotate the turret you can place the fresh loaded shell in the thing that holds 25 to box. The 9000 you have to do that after not during use so it's almost the same in the long run to me. If I had it to do over I would not have bought the 9000 as I had the 650 since early 70's but thought it would be a bigger upgrade.

12. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

If you like to load a few unsized shells per month, the 650 is the reloader for you. That loader is SLOW and what about resizing? This is not the reloader for a serious target shooter.

13. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

With the remington gun club hulls you usually have to resize if they are fired out of another person's gun and you only have to do it once. Whenever I first got my 650 I had a lot of problems with gun club hulls that had not been resized not fitting in my chamber. If you fired the hulls they should be fine, but if you picked them up off the ground, you should resize them just to be safe. I have a bt-100, a win. select energy, and a browning gold, and have no problems with them fitting in any of them, but every gun's chamber is different, some more than others.

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The 650 DOES resize, it's just done as a separate operation using a sizing adaptor that is installed on the press when you wish to do so. I like the collet style resizer, so I would go with the Super Sizer as an accessory. I AWAYS resize my hulls. All it takes is one bad experience at the wrong time to convince you. Brass heads seem to need it a bit less than steel, but sizing removes the chance of related chambering/extraction troubles. It's a good reloader, but it is a little bit slower than some of the more expensive progressives. Mine is well over 30 years old and still works fine. It has the old "tube" style primer feed on it. It will get a refurb and a new primer feed at some point. I have several other MEC presses and use my 9000Gs the most. The 650 still has proven useful for some short runs of odd loads and it has found a permanent home on my bench.

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

magnumthunder:

Look at page 10 of the instruction book that comes with the 650. The section is titled, "If You Have to Resize". Look at photo #31 and #32 for the illustrations. I stated that I prefer the Super Sizer and MEC states that it is preferable if a large number of hulls need to be resized. The sizer adaptor for the 650 does a decent job for the casual reloader and is usually included with the press. I provided a link to the instruction book for your convenience. It's also shown in Photo #3 on page 5.

16. AdamsRibs

AdamsRibs TS Member

The 650 (and the Grabber) are both excellent presses. I
    especially like them for reloading the small gauge shells
    (like .410 and 28 ga) because if you do have a goof-up or
    spill (which happens more frequently with the small gauge
    shells) it is very easy to remove all hulls from all stations,
    clean up the mess, re-insert them and keep on going. With
    a 9000 (I use two of those) a spill is a real MESS and
    time-consuming to get your press working correctly again.
    Have fun with your 650. If you don't plan on shooting
    more than several hundred rounds of ammo per week, it will
    last you a LONG time.....

AdamsRibs

17. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

If you got your 650 for a good price, you probably got a good deal. I still use a 650 in a couple of gauges. If they made Grabbers when I bought them, I would have bought Grabbers. I won't retire them while they're working, but if they ever wear out, I'll probably replace it with a Grabber.

I box my shells using a MEC EZ Boxer, so I don't find the 650s/Grabbers appreciably slower than 9000s for the reasons Hoggy gave.

Eventually you'll find some shells you wished you had resized. I've resized with the gizmo MEC supplies. It was OK, but I'm glad I have my Super-Sizer now. I resize all pick-up shells, and all shells going into my automatics.

18. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

I have a feeling that many posters here do not shoot a lot of targets. I REGISTER at least 10,000 targets per year plus I shoot practice and winter league. So lets put the number at 15,000 shells per year. If you reload that number of shells with your MEC 650 you are going to be a very busy reloader and unlikely to get lucky. The 650 is not a volume reloader, nor is it a good reloader for sub-gauges.

19. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Mec 650 is good...............Mec 9000 is GREAT!!

hubcap

20. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

My 650 is hooked to a hydro. It's about twenty + years old, has been upgraded a bit a couple of times. I purchased it used from a friend that became discouraged when he pinched a finger in the wad guide. I think it was lack of coordination but he'll never admit it. I really don't see any reason to change my use of it. It supplies all the shells I need and if I feel they should be resized, there is a Super-Sizer mounted on the bench within a few feet. From the dust on the sizer, I don't think I use it too often.

Big Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adapters sizing on mec 650

mec 650 reloader opinions

mec 650 resize adaptor replace with washer