1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Mccarthy's Stock Lock

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kgun_shooter, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Can anyone give me some pros and cons on why I should or shouldn't buy one of these stocks. Also, do you think it would better just to buy a regular custom stock from devault.

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

The stock lock helps with recoil at a cost. There is usually an addition of weight to the gun sometimes that is good sometimes not.

A stock lock will cost considerably more than a custom stock from either dennis or myself.

A stock lock moves and could be detrimental to a doubles shooter.

Stock lock is a complicated piece of machinery and more prone to breakage.
    (in trap shooting anything complicated I want two of; receivers or trigger groups mechanical pieces for a stock as well)

Both the stock lock and Dennis produce a Quality product.

80% of the shooters can go to anyone to fit their stock but not everyone can.

I know that Dennis has nearly 100% satisfaction in his gunfit's and stock building.

If you have to ask I would say you have the answer go to Dennis.

Joe

3. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Leo has shot a Stock Lock for several years now. Over the years, Pat McCarthy has continued to refine and improve his recoil reduction system. Today it is much lighter in weight than his first version and the amount of maintenance has drastically been reduced. It required no more "repairs" than any other normal part, like a trigger, etc. Actually, the reduction of recoil is a plus when it comes to doubles shooting. The less you get pounded on the first shot, the smoother and easier the second shot becomes. I believe Leo's record of doubles scores backs up this theory. The cost not only includes the recoil system but comes packaged in a beautiful piece of custom fitted wood. If you were to pick out a quality stock and add on a recoil reduction system, chances are the bottom line would not be very far off the package price of a Stock Lock. Pat McCarthy goes stand behind his product. I have seen him arrive at many shoots and spend all his free time meeting with Stock Lock owners, offering to clean, adjust, repair, or whatever was needed. He is a gun dealer with the highest of morals and his integerity is the best. Leo could have his pick of any recoil systems and he chooses the Stock Lock for many valid reasons.

4. shoehorn324

shoehorn324 TS Member

I have had my stock lock for going on four years
    and have not had any problems. Over the years I have tryed
    most all recoil reduction systems and found the stock lock
    to be the best!
    If you didn't know one of the best things about it is
    you can mount and pull the gun in as tight as you want and
    you will never collapse it till you fire. Most other systems
    crush as soon as you mount them. It has also is great for doubles
    after a couple hundred you won't know it moved after the first shot.

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Mallory ran her first 100 in doubles at the CC with hers, she also had some 98's and 99's, and she looked dam good doing it!

No offence Mik.

Shannon

6. viperrt

viperrt Member

I have owned two stock locks. When you consider that you are getting a new stock and matching fore end, AND an awesome recoil reduction system, it is a bargain. Pat is fantastic to work with and as Karla stated makes himself available to solve any issues.

I also had Dennis make a custom stock and then had the new RAD 3 system installed by Greg. By the time I paid for the stock blank, paid Dennis, and paid for the RAD 3 the cost was not far from that of a stock lock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.