1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

+Opinions on Longshot: Need 1 1/4 Load+

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pullbangloss, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

Now that the Turkey shoot season is upon us I am looking to experiment with some different 1 1/4 loads. Need these for those shoot offs that make it back to the parking lot.

A lot of guys sound like they like the Longshot but I'm curious as to the recoil of the powder. Also, how many grains you have to load. Would also like some opinions on primer, wad type and hull.

If I could get something around 1300 fps with slight recoil that would be great.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt Krizinski

2. Charles.F.Phillips

Charles.F.Phillips TS Member

Matt,

Not to be a wiseguy, but you really shouldn't use any load you get from a BBS - the only truly safe thing to do is to get a manual such as the Lyman Handbook and use it in conjunction with the charge tables that Alliant and Hodgdon have online for your convenience. They are safe, tested loads unlike what someone may recommend in a message thread.

R/s,<br />
    Charlie

3. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I used to use longshot for games.....now I just load #6 or #5 shot, lower recoil and more energy per pellet.

you can keep your head in the gun......and the report is not as loud.

tony

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Matt,

There is no such thing as light recoiling 1 1/4 oz loads. That being said, go buy a box of the Federal 1 1/4 oz 1330 fps shells at wally world and see how you get along with them.

If you don't find them too offensive to shoot, look at Hodgdon's and Alliant's website for the appropriate data. I like both Longshot and BlueDot.

Straight hulls are preferable for these big loads as they take some of the bite out shell.

ss

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Matt..... Listen to Charles, above. This is especially true with "Hot Loads" such as what you are inquiring about. Longshot can be loaded up and reach 1500fps. in some receipes published by the mfgr. In any case, with loads such as these, consult the powder mfgrs. reloading guide and use only tested loads. You will be dealing with some pretty high pressure stuff...

Now, that being said, I have used Longshot for game loads, ONCE! I quickly found the recoil to be excessive when compared to other "game" load powders such as 800X, SR7625, IMR 4756, Herco, Blue Dot, etc. If you load it to its extreme, you will find your patterns totally blown out due, in part, I believe, to the excessive speed and high pressures of this load. While it wasn't as bad with 11/8oz., it was very noticeable in the 11/4oz loads on the pattern board. You will also notice, when shooting in the evening or under lights, that longshot will throw a flame out the end of your barrel that will make a US Army flame thrower jealous. While some guys love it, the majority of the meat shooters I shoot with leave it alone and stick to the lower pressure, slower burning powders. I know, I know, you will have to experiment with it because all serious meat shooters have, at one time or another, done it. When you decide, however, to quit using it (and I would be willing to bet it won't take long), come back and read this thread and gleen what you can from it.... Just my own, personal experience.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Remington HD, 1-1/4 oz. of # 4 @ 1325 fps.

Curt

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I used to use Longshot and know of several long yardage shooters who do. It will get you a very fast shell but I gave up on it and went back to Herco. Herco is not quite as fast but will keep your head on the gun and in the game. Blue dot and 800X work well for me also. I think 800 X is my favorite but has a litlle more recoil than Herco. If you shoot Longshot with 30 + grains like the manual says, you better get a PFS stock. Then you can shoot them all day long

8. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

26.5 grains SR7625, Red Winchester or Claybuster 1-1/4 wad, Silver AA hull, #6 shot, Winchester primer. Smokes the bird from the porch, parking lot, etc. Recoils like a new AA handicap, no flames or roar. This is the only load I have used for 30+ years in all games 27yd and back. Have never used longshot, but prefer to be on the other end of the line from those that do. You will never be at a disadvantage shell wise with this load.

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Lou..... Ahhhh, another Herco fan emerges. It just doesn't get any better than that. 800X is also good if you can stand the aggravation of having to hand weigh each and every load... Dan

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Remington STS hull, Winchester primer, SP-12 wad, 1 1/4 oz #5s,28.3 Longshot,
    9300psi out of Hodgon reloading manual. 1330fps.

Or Buy KENT 2 3/4", 4 1/2 dram, 1 1/2 oz #4s 1400fps, new shell, not real bad on recoil, new shells.

I prefer 1 1/8th oz #6s in AA hull, winchester primer, windjammer wad,33.2 Longshot, 10,100 psi, 1475 fps.
    Parking lot on back.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

Thanks guys.

Matt Krizinski

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.