1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Listening to Music While shooting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Browning Guy, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browning Guy

Browning Guy TS Member

What is everybody's opinions on listening to music while you shoot? I don't do it now, but I was thinking about starting.

2. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

It's great, provided you have lots of experience, and have the fundamentals down. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're already shooting in "A" class or better. cls

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The opportunity to do something dumb presents itself here. I see people with earbuds and no other means of hearing protection. this will not prevent hearing damage while shooting.

If you want to listen to music you should get electronic muffs with MP3 player connections, or the custom molded plugs with transducers built in.

Being deaf sucks.

HM

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Flalagarto...It don't mean a thing if it aint got that swing. LOL

Listing to music, concentrating on the fundamentals and keeping tract of who's turn it is would cause me to have a melt down.

I also agree with halfmile, if your going to listen to music while shooting get the proper equipment.

Bill

5. Browning Guy

Browning Guy TS Member

6. tomk2

tomk2 Member

I should try it. Why not? I have already tried many things that have made my scores go down, perhaps this will be an exception.

7. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

If you are going to listen to music while shooting you have to pick the right type of music to listen to. You need to go with something that matches your shooting style. If you are a fast shooter you need to pick something with an up beat to it, so your timing stays with you. If you picked a slow beat with a fast style you will have problems. Things will be off. It may take sometime to find the right tempo, so don't give up if scores go down. Remember, pick your music with your shooting style and use the proper hearing protection like halfmile stated.

CHEERS

8. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

Tomk2,

If it works, let me know. I'll try almost anything.

9. otnot

otnot Active Member

I like it but I can't hear the chair person call out scores and if the song changes during the shot it disrupts you concentration. It's also one more thing to go wrong.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Otnot, obviously your equipent is defective. I have Pro Ears, good stereo sound independently adjustable, outside sounds adjustable, and good protection.

As far as the music goes, I use instrumental rock so the lyrics don't distract me. Or at least some that has good guitar solos (Roy Orbison - Move On Down The Line, Led Zep - Rock and Roll, Queen - Fat Bottom Girls,etc). Shag music at about 120 or so is good too.

I did go through an experimental curve finding the music that suits me. I occasionally restart the song between stations if I want to get the bridge while shooting. Just have to reach in the pocket and hit a button.

HM

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Its a good idea, but you got to listen to the right music.It must be stimulating and profound. I prefer the music of elephants mating!

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

This pretty much started years ago when Phil Kiner put out some shooting tapes and shooters listen to them before shooting. Soon they started listening on the line. See if you can get some of those tapes. I think it gives you some rythem on rough squad that could be disruptive to you. It cuts down on outside distraction. Again see how many top shooters use it.

Don

13. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

I love it and find that I have trouble without the music while shooting! I started because of background noise and the music just puts you in your own zone. Rooferbob good luck and shoot well!

14. BAP

BAP TS Member

I listen to Kiners tapes while I shoot. I find that with music I let my mind wander but with thes tapes I seem to tune out outside distractions. I have used them in the past before with mixed results but started back at my state shoot to cut down the distractions and help keep my mind in the present. Be sure to use good ear plugs with mic's built in or the newer style that I bought at the Grand this year that have the speaker in line and the sound is carried by hollow tubes to your ear plugs. I then use muffs over them to get even more protection. The only problem is that you have trouble hearing youir scores when you change stations or don't know what is going on if someone questions weather a target is dead or lost. Bill Parson Jr.

15. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I'm thinking that most of the listeners-of-music-while-shooting-trap are under the age of 40.....right?

How can having one more sensory input improve shooting concentration?
    The basic idea of the mental aspect of shooting is to tune everything but the shot OUT!

I might see how the soothing, rythmic sound of ocean waves might be of benefit, but Led Zepplin????

16. KeystoneLight

KeystoneLight TS Member

I tried the PK subliminal tape to keep the background distractions down. I did not have a good experience score wise. Your subconscious has enough to deal with making the shot without additional subliminal input. I have better concentration using only a three count breathing routine preparing for the next shot.

The PK tape is Contemporary and has slow drumbeats, birds, ocean waves, and other soft music.

STONE

17. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

I have the Bose full ear cover headphones.Even with out music I can't hear anything.I make sure I put music on that I know what song is next or I'll lose concentration...Nuc

18. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

I listen to music when I shoot, usually no words just nature sounds and soft music. This tape is by a doctor who is an expert in cognitive and emotional response to music. The two I listen to are called “natural stress relief” and one called, “Concentration” they can be found at www.solitudes.com they are supposed to keep you calmer and more relaxed, I think they do in stressful competition situations like starting or finishing events. I would listen to the CD while dry firing on the wall chart, it made the workouts fun and more interesting. When you are listening to the soft music you seem to think less and do less talking to yourself. I had gone years without hitting a 200 and I hit several the first year I was listening to music.

Terry.

19. IM390

IM390 Member

I tried it once and haven't gone back. It is suppose to block your mind from day dreaming while shooting. It can also be very distracting. My buddy still does it and his scores haven't improved. I keep telling him to change the song "Music to Strip By" to Bolero, but he enjoys it too much.

20. JPettengill

JPettengill TS Member

It must help, because it is banned in International Trap and Skeet.
    JIm P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best music to listen to while shooting birds
listen to music while shooting
listening to music while shooting

music to listen to while trapshooting