1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on KX5

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich C, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich C

Rich C TS Member

I'm considering buying a lightly used KX5. All opinions and information is appreceiated.(used price range?)

Thank's
    Rich

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The point well and have good swing dynamics. The stock fit is either hit or miss. The one I shot needed something done as it kicked the snot out of me.

The used price of a KX-5 seem to hover around $3500.

ss

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Funny story. A few years ago my buddy decided to sell his. Seems he thought he needed a 32" instead of the 34" barrel. He brought it up to a local 50 target shoot for a customer to look at. My wife, all 5'4", was going for Lasik surgery next day and just came along for the ride with no intention of shooting. Anyway, wife couldn't stand it anymore and asked my buddy to borrow his KS-5 and get in her shooting fix. She easily broke 50 straight never having shot it before.

Needless to say, my much bigger buddy looked a little red faced and the potential buyer didn't let it out of his sight and immediately peeled out the cash. They are fine guns and $3,500 is about the right price!!

4. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

I agree with Short sucker in one regard; felt recoil. However, I shot mine at the PA state shoot (as a trial) and it smoked targets, but did beat me up. I made several modifications to the gun (instock reducer, proper fit/comb & more etc) and now, with 1 oz loads I can shoot 300 targets in a day wearing a tee shirt, with no problems with felt recoil. I am a slightly built fellow. 165 lbs 5'9".

It is a gun (for me, the 34")that shoots better if I take my time. It swings nicely but if I rush it, it misses.

I feel the gun can be modified and adjusted to reduce your level of felt recoil considerable if you experience that.

js in PA

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I know of a KX5 (mint) for sale if interested----PM me for details---George

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

One of the best least expensive trapguns out there.

GB
    DLS

7. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I've been shooting a KX-5 for about five months and just love the thing.

I shoot some heavy loads of 1 1/8 ounce and need to wear a shooting t-shirt with a shoulder pad if I'm shooting anything over 100 birds in a day.

But I haven't done anything to the gun except change out the butt pad with a 1" think kick-eez butt pad. Nice...

I paid $3800 for my gun that was 2 years old when I bought it used.

Kevin

8. chipped99

chipped99 Active Member

I had the pleasure to shoot one when they first came out and thought it was a very nice gun for the money.Broke a straight with the one I tried and it pointed and shot where I was looking.It had me for a while but after my cheek started to swell I gave up and went back to the old perazzi.They are a great sbt.The German's do good work!You can't go wrong with the KX-5. IMHO Tony

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I have a KS-5 Special that I have shot for 12 years. Bought it used from Joel Etchen. Had it rebuilt 3 years ago. I don't think it was ever rebuilt before I owned it because the receiver face was not machined. So I shot it for nine years without a service. Not recommended, but I did it. The locking lever started locking up tight. Could not open the gun once every 100 shots, without putting pressure on the top of the receiver. Four moving parts inside. When you move the locking lever you cock the gun. Fewer springs and parts to wear out. Simple but very effective. The only difference between the KX-5, and KS-5 is the KX-5 has an adjustable trigger (LOP), and the push-button forend release.
    The gun does seem to kick with 3 dram loads but can be cured with some barrel work (backboring). I also put an 11 oz. recoil reducer in the butt stock. I am also 6'1" and 250 lbs. of which was mostly muscle back when I bought the gun but has since changed a bit. LOL. Pricing, KX-5 $3500, KS-5 Special $2700, would be a good buy. Good time to buy a used gun not only because of the season, but the economy really nocked down the pricing.

10. Rich C

Rich C TS Member

Thank you all very much. I'm going to take the plunge!

Southjblue you have a PM

Thank's again,

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.