1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OPINIONS ON KRIEGHOFF KX5

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mastiff711, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mastiff711

mastiff711 Member

Anyone have opinions on a Krieghoff KX5? Was contemplating buying one and any opinions will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Stacey

2. trapshootr288

trapshootr288 TS Member

Spend the extra $$ and get a K-80 or K-32 so you can shoot doubles with all one gun. It is very easy to find a nice 80 or 32 on the used market for about the price of a new KX-5.

Just my opinion

JB

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

KS-5 Special is nearly the exact same thing and mine will be the last single shot I'll own for cometition. A study in simplicity and fine engineering......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

4. mastiff711

mastiff711 Member

I have an over/under trap gun and am especially wanting a single barrel....thanks for the opinions...know about the discontinuance and was wanting to know if this was a good single for the money. Opinions are definitely appreciated.

Stacey

5. mastiff711

mastiff711 Member

Does anyone else think this gun would be hard for a female to open? Thanks.

6. 3357

3357 Member

I shoot a KX-5 and am very happy with it. It is a little more difficult to open than other guns. I would suggest you try one by shooting a full round of trap, then you will know.

7. just_bob

just_bob Member

I find that the KS-5 and KX-5 both open quite easily if you move the lever with your off hand. (forearm hand)

As an additional benefit your hand is positioned to catch the expended shell in your palm as the gun swings open.

Oddly my KS-5 only ejects fired shells and just raises unfired shells, I have never experienced untimly ejections.

just_bob

8. cfchief

cfchief Member

HAVE SHOT THEM ALL AND MY KS5 SPECIAL WITH A WRIGHT #9 CHOKE TUBE WILL BE MY LAST TRAP GUN AND IT DOESNT OPEN ANY HARDER THAN ANYTHING ELSE PERIOD

9. mastiff711

mastiff711 Member

Guys thanks so much for all of your opinions!

Stacey

10. BigGuy

BigGuy TS Member

When the KX5 came out from Krieghoff as an updated and improved KS5, I wanted one to replace my KS5. I bought one and was so happy with it that I thought it was the most underpriced quality trapgun on the market, so I bought another one. That gun remains unfired in its original Krieghoff case. I have found that a backup gun for a Krieghoff KX5 is unnecessary! Is there any reason for concern about the model being dropped by Krieghoff? A knowledgeable Krieghoff person says not to worry. In the unlikely event that the KX5 ever needs a replacement part, Krieghoff will be there for you. Also, I was assured that the value of this fine single barrel may actually increase if they become difficult to find. That's good enough for me. You get used to the cocking lever quickly. Buy the gun without any worry. IMHO Ron

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Remember they have dis-continued making the KX-5 and are closing them out at reduced prices, so be aware of this and do some tough negotiating on the price.
    Dealer cost now is somewhere near $3200 for new in alum. case gun.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The KX-5 is a terrific trap gun. Simple.(only five moving parts) I don't
    find it any harder to open than my MX-8. Moderate recoil and good factory
    release trigger.

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The opening lever effort is not a concern, in my opinion. I know a very slightly built woman shooter who uses one with no problem. I became accustomed to mine in a trap or two.

Regarding value, I remember that nice used KS-5s, especially 2nd generation (1994-up) Specials, increased in value shortly after they were discontinued.

Ed

14. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

I think they're nice guns, I did a fair amont of shooting with a friend of mine's KX5, never really noticed the lever being that much harder to push over than any other gun. I shot a Ljutic then, though, so anything with a toplever was different for me. I know a few women that shot Kreighoff single barrels, they seemed to do fine with them. As far as it not being a good gun because it's being disconinued, I guess Model 12s weren't good guns, either. I'd almost guarantee that Kreighoff will continue serving them, too, just like they do for K32s, also.

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I enjoy mine, bought it gently used at a nice price. Any number of guns have been discontinued, only to be brought back. It wouldn't surprise me if Krieghoff sits on the sideline a bit, watches what happens and reintroduces another generation - "KZ-5" ?! (lol)

regards to all,

Jay

16. mastiff711

mastiff711 Member

Guys thanks so much for the opinions!

Stacey

17. mastiff711

mastiff711 Member

What would be a good price on one of these? Thanks.

Stacey

18. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Stacey,

If I were you, I'd look at a used one. As long as there's no homemade porting done to it and the stock hasn't been cut to a weird dimension, it will be fine. I've seen quite a few for around $3900, and you could probably haggle your way to less than that for some.

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The word is they are going to put a higher rib on the KX-5 and bring it out as a new model, to compete against the Kolar T/Ss New High Rib Model.

One weak point of the KX and KS is extractors breaking. And short firing pins that are not covered by warranty, they charge for the repairs and it takes about 4 weeks turnaround to do a simple job. I know my friend just got his back.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. mastiff711

mastiff711 Member

Well guys I appreciate all of the info and opinions and I have posted a thread wanting to buy a nice used one. Saw one on auction arms last week (it was perfect) and I didn't bid on it. The auction ended Thursday and it didn't get relisted. Hope I get as many replies for my WTB post as I did this one.

Thanks again to ALL of you!

Stacey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
kreighoff kx5
krieghoff ks5 review
krieghoff kx 6 opinions
krieghoff kx-6 opinions
krieghoff kx5

krieghoff kx5 review

kx5 krieghoff for sale