1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

opinions on Kel-tec P-3AT 380 pocket pistol w

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lavarock, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lavarock

lavarock TS Member

My 9mm Glock is collecting dust in my dresser drawer. I just find it to much of a hassle to try to carry. I was at the gun shop and saw a true pocket pistol last night. The Kel-tec p-3AT 380. Ay opinions on these or possibly a another similiar size pistol that I should be looking at? Are the Kel-tec's any good?

Thanks

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Did it look like this?

[​IMG]

Sure looks like a nice little gun to carry.

Hauxfan!

3. JRD

JRD TS Member

I have a P-32. Its a reliable carry gun, but you better be up close if you want to hit them.

4. famill00

famill00 TS Member

You cant shoot accurately at say a max distance of 7 yards??

Forrest

5. dfm

dfm Member

I bought two KT's the past month: a P-32 and a P3AT.

The 32 is a bit easier to shoot (recoil-wise), has a slide lock, holds one more round, and simply disappears on your person.

The P3AT is chambered in the more common and powerful .380, doesn't have a slide lock, holds one less round then the P-32, but is still pretty damn small and lightweight.

I gifted the P-32 to a good friend's wife for CCW and kept the P3AT for myself. However, when I find a good deal on another P-32 I'll buy it since I thoroughly enjoyed the first one so much.

Both of mine shot extremely well for both accuracy and reliability. Never had a problem with either putting a bit over 400 rounds through each. Remember to keep a firm grip when shooting these peanut-sized guns or you can generate your own malfunctions because of "limp wristing."

For forget-about-it carry there's nothing else that even comes close for the money, compactness or weight.

6. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Good gun to carry with ultimate concealment. Shot 4/500 rounds through mine to assure reliability and accuracy. 10 yards and they are all in a pie plate. I don't expect much more from a gun of this size(close in / last resort).

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Excellent "Gut Buster".

Curt - Delaware

8. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

I have owned two of the P-3ATs both jammed so often that I gave them away with the warning not to trust your life to them. I have my J frame in my pocket, a little heavier but a lot more punch and I don't worry about reliability.

9. zucksrq

zucksrq TS Member

Check out a Kahr PM9 Best pocket pistol bar none

10. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

If you decide to purchase one, make sure you look for the "second generation" model. It can be identified by the larger extractor (when viewed from side), and wider flat surface on top of slide when compared to first generation. I was surprised at how accurate the one I shot was from a reasonable self defense distance of 10 yds. and in. I opted for the Sig P230, which is a bit larger than the KelTec, but still comfortable to carry.

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I like mine just fine! Small, light, and concealable. I have put about seven boxes of full house .380 rounds through it with out a hitch. I have tried the CorBons and they did fine also. The recoil is a bit sharp due to the light weight and small size. My P-32 is a little easier in the recoil department. I'm looking at the new 9MM PF-9. It's a bit Smaller than the P-11 and is a full house 9MM, which I would consider the very least necessary for serious social work.

12. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

Heard pro's and con's of Keltec p3at. Almost bought one, con's discoraged me. Loooking now at the Kahr PM9 (like zucksrq mentioned). It's rather pricey, but I love the fact that its a 9x19 and still a pocket pistol.

Hawk,

13. rscotty

rscotty TS Member

A good friend of mine who is a cop always told me "Never shoot anyone with a .380 - you'll only make them mad."

9mm is a much better round. If it comes down to having to fire, I'd want to make sure the perp doesn't have the chance to return fire.

14. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I have a Kel-Tec P-11 9mm. To me, it is maximum pocket gun size. I really don't carry it much. It is reliable enough if you hold it tight and pull the trigger firmly. I am considering exchanging it for a P3AT. I know the .380 will be carried more.

My local FFL is a police officer as well. He carries a P3AT as a pocket backup gun. He says he had to pull it one night and it saved his life. That's seems good enough for me.

A pocket CCW gun is made for short-range self-defense. If bad people are 7 yards away and not closing, I'm probably headed the other way anyway. Within 7 yards, my plans are to be accurate enough to incapacitate, not just make someone mad. Longer range firefights would require a full sized .45 or 9mm, and those aren't pocket guns, or even easily concealable.

Danny

15. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

I like mine, I can carry it in my back pocket in jeans. They sell a small clip to use for carrying too. Recoil is a little sharp but I didn't buy it to use for target practice.

16. lavarock

lavarock TS Member

Thanks for the replies! I'll be sure to check out the Kahr's as well. If I decide on the Kel-Tec I'll check for the 2nd generation unit.

What is the most leathal ammo for the 380?

Lavarocks

17. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

Federal Personal Defense (Hydra-shock) ammo will get anyone's attention. I believe that the type of ammo used in a defense situation can make all the difference in any caliber (hardball/FMJ vs. hollow point), but is particularly important with the .380 and 9mm.

The stuff is expensive, however I would still strongly encourage you to shoot at least a magazine or two of it through whatever you carry to make sure it cycles reliably in that particular firearm.

18. oldsoul

oldsoul TS Member

I have a P-11 with a belt clip. I can carry it wearint a bathing suit and a dark t-shirt. It you buy a Kel-Tec. go to the links and you will find all you need to make your gun a reliable shooter. It took me less than 3 hours to do mine and it is 100%. Good Luck,

scott

19. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

Smith and Wesson .38 442. 13 oz revolver. Its an aluminium airwieght model. No safety, no hammer, no wondering if the chamber is loaded, no magazine to come loose and no jamming. You can fire it in a jacket pocket if needed. The downside: it only holds five and it is load and recoils a good bit. I reckin if the tussle last more than five rounds, I'm not doin' too well anyway. It also comes in a 9mm(moon clips) and I think .32 and a 8 shot .22(weighs 10 oz.). They mkke them in titaniom also. They weigh 2 oz less and cost twice as much I shot the ti one and it kicks alot. I'm no fan of the .22 for self defense but I'd probably stop whatever I was doing if shot with 8 of them..

20. sherpa

sherpa TS Member

i like mine, my friend shot mine and liked it so much he bought one for his wife and one for himself between us have put over 1000 rounds through them no problems. they even shot 500 rounds wolf steel case for the break in. based on experiance with them i bought a P11 9mm that is 11 rounds of 9mm in a very small package, recoil is very sharp but controlable. still like to carry the .380. jmho

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kel-tec p-3at opinions forum