1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Ithaca SKB O/U

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by claybuster77, Mar 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claybuster77

claybuster77 Member

I have a chance to buy an older Ithaca SKB 20 ga. O/U in mint condition for $650. Does anyone have any opinions on the guns reliability or ability to get service and/or spare parts??--Dan--

2. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Better check with skb, I think you`ll find parts aren`t available for the ithica skb`s anymore.

Tom R.

3. BT-Lee

BT-Lee TS Member

Had firing pins put in my 600 also. Its a good buy.

4. claybuster77

claybuster77 Member

Found out today that it is a model 500 with 26" barrels.

5. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

nspktri, I said (I THINK ,NOT THEY ARE DEFINATELY HARD TO FIND), and that`s why I said to contact SKB to be sure.

TOM R.

6. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

I,not everyone, two different locals, two different ways of saying the same thing.

Tom R.

7. libertybay

libertybay TS Member

I don't want to burst anybody's bubble, but, for the most part, the parts on the new SKB's are interchangeable with the old Ithaca SKB's. Like all O/U's, parts need to be more or less hand fitted to the individual gun.

I recently broke a top ejector on my Ithaca/SKB 700. After a call to Gun's Unlimited, I had a new ejector in days, and another couple of days for a gunsmith to fit it.

If you look at the schematics on the SKB website, you'll find that parts for the Ithaca/SKB 500, 600, and 700, and the SKB 500, 505, 585, 600, 605, 685, 785, and 885 are the same. The 85TSS has a couple of modified parts, but very few.

The SKB is a modification of an old Merkel design that hasn't changed much since the 60's.

Bob

8. claybuster77

claybuster77 Member

9. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I used to have an older SKB, I think it may have been a 505? Can't remember for sure. I used it for hunting for 4 years and whenever I went.....pheasants trembled. :D

10. Dynokick189

Dynokick189 TS Member

Just found a model 600 28" at a local gun show for $350!!! Really!!
    The guy told me it was a "skeet gun" (barrels marked full and impmod), also was told it was bored out to take 3" shells (forcing cones were lengthened and polished). Gun was probably 95% condition. Shot it yesterday (in a typical U.P. spring gale) and hit 22/25 (not bad for a strange gun).
    I learned to shoot trap w/a century single from SKB. Wish I still had it, just for fun.
    SKB's are good starter guns, and largely underrated.
    Mike

11. zoomgunner

zoomgunner TS Member

Just purchased older skb w/ no identifying marks on top of barrel either side of very wide broadway vent rib. only proof marks are - left side of barrel by chamber: "M7IV" over "891" - right side: "SPR" over "SPR" - bottom of barrel: "K" then the serial number "708XXX" then "6" then "NP". The only markings on this o/u shotgun that identifies this firearm other than the actual way it was manufactured is the buttplate w/ " SKB " lettering on it. Nothing about Ithaca. The shotgun's entire receiver,trigger guard, and top end of barrels near the chambers is intricately & highly engraved by hand ( deep relief ). Can anyone help to identify what model ? Serial # on reciever is "CM708XXX" on bottom within the cavity made for it. Also I need to replace some of the trigger parts, the trigger itself w/ selector as well as bottom firing pin and bushing/retainer and possibly both sears..... how long did it take for skb Omaha to rebuild your shotgun? Thanks for any info. zoom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ithaca model 500 disassembly

ithaca model 600

ithaca skb 500 serial numbers

ithaca skb 600 serial numbers

ithaca skb model 500

ithaca skb model 600 firing pin problems

skb serial number prefix cm

skb shotgun serial numbers