1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Ithaca MX8

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by watchknut, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. watchknut

watchknut TS Member

I am new to the board and have read a lot of the posts--everyone seems incredibly helpful. I am looking to purchase a Perazzi MX8 Special Trap from the Ithaca era (numbers matching). The gun has 29 1/2" barrels that were ported by Briley with thin-wall chokes installed. It has the internal selector P4 Pull/Pull trigger, an upgraded custom adjustable comb monte carlo stock with Gra-coil adjustable pad. The gun rates about 90% with original blue with no major flaws. The top lever is slightly right of center and the gun had new springs installed by Giacomo a few years back and has not been shot since. The seller is asking $3500.

Before I shell out any money, I wanted to ask the board what they think. Thanks in advance for the opinions.

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Ithaca imported MX-8's in the 70's the special came out long after the 70's sounds like the receiver is a special, but the barrels are from the Ithaca era. If it is a really clean gun $3,500 would be a fair price. I would check to see if it has type #4 barrels and forend on it, if not the gun is worth less.

3. watchknut

watchknut TS Member

I stand corrected, it is just an MX8 and not a special. The receiver, barrels and forend iron numbers match.

What are some other guns that are worthwhile in the $2-4.5K range? I would like to buy pre-owned.

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

It's almost impossible to find a type IV MX-8 in reasonable condition at $3,500.

Ithaca import MX-8 are mostly type III with case color receiver. IMO, these guns are good value, you saved approx. $1,000 on average vs a type IV MX-8 in the same condition.

This particular gun's modifications are subject to your preferences,

Briley chokes are a plus, it can offset the (negative) about porting if you don't like porting. The P4 trigger with barrel selector is definitely a plus (value wise), the custom stock is strictly up to you.

90% condition is not high in my book, you'll need to evaluate it carefully.

5. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

They are great trap guns, but over priced in my opinion. For me money is very hard to come by so I can only afford cheap used or inherited shotguns such as my Dad's 1950 Model 12 trap shotgun. Many years ago I had the FFL and owned Eastern Gun. It was nothing but a head ach. Anyway after my wife died last year I decided to shoot again. I went with a used 870 Comp that I paid $450.00. It is a fine shotgun but doesn't fit and neither does the Model 12. I almost bought a used BT 99 which I shot many years ago, but came across a used Ithaca Century II trap with 34" full choke no ports barrel. It fits like a glove and I like it. So for $650.00 I have a gun good enough to shoot against my friend who shoots a Ljutic and the MX 8 for doubles. He broke 96 shooting an 870 pump in doubles and the best he has done with the MX 8 is 94 after 4 years trying. So buy what fits best and go from there.

Harry

6. hot springs

hot springs TS Member

I bought a used on in 1992 for the same price. I shot it for 18 years with no troubles whatsoever. Mine did not have the P4 trigger however. In my opinion, they are great pointing guns and I really enjoyed mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.