1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

opinions on Hi Viz Beads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RAScott, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAScott

RAScott Member

I am interested in the opinions of the HiViz beads installed on some barrels. I am considering installing one, are any ones better than others or not?

I dont realy care for the looks of them, just want to know if people have had good results.

Bob s

2. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

I like the hi-vis bead that came on my SKB but I personally do not think that they are really necessary other than to make sure the gun is properly mounted. Any color bead should do for this purpose for most shooters. You normally shouldn't be looking at the bead when you shoot. Other folks may have different opinions. Neil Swenson

3. Mikr101

Mikr101 Member

Bob,
    I took a DD clinic and one of the first things Denis did to the gun while fitting it, was to change the sight pipe from green to the smallest diameter white that is available. I now only see the front bead with my peripheral vision, as it should be. Just my two cents.

4. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

I have the Easyhit 5", 2.5 mm green on both of my trapguns. These fibre optics are shrouded and will not get damaged from handling. Also very easy to install.

If you concentrate on the target and keep your cheek down on the comb, you'll see the bead in backsight. Works for me - highly recommended.

Ned

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

It helps me see the bead in my peripheral vision. As long as you look at the target, this is a good thing. I prefer the small green pipe for all shooting.

If you don't have the discipline to look at the target, I don't think it matters what is on the front of the barrel.

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Focus on the target, a "Hi Viz" bead draws your focus away from the target....not good, IMO

John C. Saubak

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

White pipes only, the further back in caps you are the smaller the pipe diameter--this is why Chris Vendel sells small white beads. Why would you need a bead that could appear bigger than the target?

Phil Berkowitz

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I painted all my white pipes with flat black plastic model paint (and threw away the glo-in-the-dark pipes). All I need is the silhouette.

Color is a pointless distraction hanging out on the end of a shotgun barrel. If it's really in my peripheral vision, I'm not seeing the color during the shot anyway. For hunting turkey in low light in the woods...maybe. For shooting clay targets in the air...don't need it.

MK

9. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I prefer the Champion Easy Hit over the Hi-Viz.

IMO, The smaller 2.5mm fiber optic works better for target shooting.

I do have Hi-Viz on some hunting guns, which work fine.

SW

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I don't know how to answer this question other than to suggest try it. A close friend told me a couple of years ago that he has something that helped him and it would help me also. Between singles and handicap, he put on a high vis sight with the larger green tube on my gun as a surprise to me. I shot it for a year or so and it didn't hurt but I don't think it helped. Last year I colored the end of the green tube black with a magic marker. I think that did help me, perhaps. I am not really sure. I have shot some good scores, many average scores and a few low scores with both the green sight and the green sight painted black. Now, I am shooting a high vis sight with the green tube painted black. Quite a combination. A sight designed to "glow" painted black.

Pat Ireland

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Some shooters like them some don't. I have the Truglo red fat bead on my gun, and I like that one the best.

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"White pipes only, the further back in caps you are the smaller the pipe diameter... Why would you need a bead that could appear bigger than the target?</I></blockquote>

The problem with the Hi-Viz sight is that the silhouette at the end of the barrel is ALWAYS the same size regardless of what size pipe you put in it and you can't put a small enough pipe in it to make it smaller than the target from yardage.

The hoop that the pipe passes through is as big as the largest bead on the end of the pipes. You see a big colored bead from the largest light pipe or a black lump with a smaller colored center with the smaller light pipes. Take the pipe out entirely and you still have that lump on the end of the barrel. I just use a light pipe to plug the hole in the light tube support.

I don't use beads to check gun mount either. If I feel the butt pad is where it belongs then the gun is right.

MK

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Well.. I'm a One Eyed shooter.. The Green Hi-Viz/Tru Glow works very well for me.. Especially on higher rib guns.. While I focus on the target.. I tend to loose the front of the barrels.. For me.. I shoot with a barrel/target relationship.. While I can't see the bead clearly.. I can see a green blob approaching a black/orange target.. even on dull,dark days.. When the green touches the orange.. I pull the trigger..

Saying all that.. I've shot decent scores with no front sight.. if the day is crisp and clear.. With a SXS.. I use no front sight.. as the barrel blob is large enough for me to see it.. as it approaches the target.. That's the setup I use on ZZ birds.. and it works for me..

Best thing I can say is try it.. It's a love/hate thing.. Also be careful that the bead height does not change your POI.. I've successfully changed my POI on my Bunker gun with a magnetic Hi-Viz and the largest sight it comes with.. The POI goes down with a higher front bead..

All Good.. Mike

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what brand mine is but it came on my Beretta and has the changeable light pipes in a little dispenser. I use the smallest bright green pipe. I use it to line my beads up quickly when shouldering the gun. I then let the sight disappear into my peripheral vision.----Matt
    grntitan_2009_250346.jpg

15. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

I think that anything that improves the sight picture is beneficial, especially in handicap which requires more accurate pointing.

Bob-you can see from the responses that you need to experiment for yourself.

Ned

16. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I have the Uni-Dot P210 on my 90t installed behind the original bead. The sight is small in diameter, about the same height as the original bead, and 4 1/2" long. A lot of the rib between the mid and original front bead was visible due to the necessity of raising the comb to get the desired POI. The Uni-Dot extending back the length of the site took up a lot of the space giving the impression of stacking the beads which aids initial alignment. As far as eliminating cross firing, I am not sure as I am not aware of seeing the light pipe when swinging on a target.

17. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

My preference was the white bead with a bit of silver paint to improve contrast with the clouds. They kept breaking so I now use steel brads. Problem solved. Ron

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Wife uses an Easy-Hit orange front bead. Last eight scores were 98,96,97,99,98,100,99,99. I'm using a plain old white bead. So that's why she's been soundly beating me!!

19. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Any bead that has the ability to be brighter than the target is pure JUNK!

GS

20. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

I've tried everything you can think of. I am currently using a very small gold beed, although I'm still the worst trap shooter in Texas. They do make some really cool F/O sights for turkey hunting. YMMV

Shoot safe, John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hi vis tru glo big bead

hiviz light pipe colors

perazzi red bead

what hiviz sight works best for trap shooting

which color champion easy hit sight is better for trap