1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Dram eq or speed?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MattSaban, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattSaban

MattSaban TS Member

OK Guys,

Im guessing to some this may be a worn out discussion, but Im relatively new to the forum and would like opinions.

What type of velocity is preferred?

Thanks

Matt

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Speed. We haven't used black powder for ages; in fact, I've misplaced my dram ladles.

Though "dram" is finally gone, the terms "light," "heavy," and "handicap" still are a useful shorthand, at least for 1 1/8 ounce loads.

Neil

3. MattSaban

MattSaban TS Member

Ok, point taken.

How many FPS do those of you who reload prefer to aim for?

Is there an advantage to faster or slower ammo?

Thanks

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Matt, the advantage to using faster ammo is the fact that you can tell if ya hit or missed the target sooner. Makes sense to me.

Gne J

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Matt, in general I'd say that people shoot "light" for singles and the first shot of doubles, "heavy" and more for the rest. For 1 1/8 oz. that's 1140 fps for light, 1200+ for the rest. One-ounce shooters often use more speed, others not. Competitors using 7/8 and less vary from crawling to blazing and will soon tell you why.

Neil

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Matt, all you need is 1,145 fps loads on the 16 yard line. Some will use these for the 20 yard handicap as well, some like to go to the 1,200 fps loads there. The faster the load and the heavier the shot load is the more it recoils. one ounce loads kick less at same speed. Recoil is bad, how much can you take in one day. That's the question??? Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.