1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on dillon SL 900 Loader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by az outlaw, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. az outlaw

az outlaw Member

Are there any Dillon SL 900 users out there? Does anyone have an opinion on these units? I have a chance to buy a fully loaded unit for a good price, but have never heard of anyone that has used one. I currently have a mec 9000 g and would like to hear some input....... good and bad. Thanks in advance,

Mark Williams

2. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

I've been using mine for a few years, and wouldn't use anything else, I had a Mec 9000 hydraulic, and even though the Dillon is manual, it is still faster, you can load shells faster than you can box them. And it's adjustable shot and powder drops let you get exactly what you want, regardless of shot size or hardness and the exact powder charge, without having to fill in or ream out bushings, really nice when your powder density changes from lot to lot, (Promo). The only drawback is, it only holds 100 primers, but putting in more primers gives me a chance to take a sip of my coffee.

If it's a good deal, grab it or let me know where it is.

3. az outlaw

az outlaw Member

$850.00 ........ comes with a stand, hull hopper,12 gauge setup and 20 gauge setup and a couple other minor things i cant remember. it is used, but, used very little and definately not abused.

4. 682 beretta

682 beretta Member

Buy it, before someone else does. I have 2 Dillons and I wouldn't entertain anything else.
    Barney

5. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Just buy it, it's a great deal. 9 out of 10 users will say they love theirs, the other 1 is just too stupid to figure out how it works :)

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

I am one of the stupid ones. I had one set up for 12 and 28 ga, and could not get the crimp right. Sent the head to Dillon for adjustment and it came back the same. I guess the PW spoiled me - it makes perfect crimps.

It is better than a MEC, (yes, I am too stupid to get one of them suckers to work well too!) so you will be happier.

Eventually you can move up to a PW or Spolar. They are perfect for we stupid ones. Those machines are so easy a Caveman can operate them and get perfect shells.

One last thing, the case feeder is a joke if you are a high volume reloader. It is the same size as the hopper for pistol cases. It is a PITA to fill the hopper every 8-10 minutes. I loaded 2000 shells on Sunday and that is typical for me. If your loading sessions are a flat or two at a time, not as frustrating.

Don Verna - (who should have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express before getting the Dillon)

7. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

Been happy with mine for over 10 years. The case feeder holds about 120 cases. I do a hundred shells and need to fill the powder, primers and cases anyway. Its is fast, and I hate to load my 1 oz loads on my Mec because its so slow, but that is easier than changing the Dillon to 1 oz back and forth. A machanical aptitude is handy for the Dillon, but once set up it doesn't change with use. For me, the timing during use is important. Going too fast tends to cause problems. Watch the primer feed every round made and hesitate on the down stoke to be certain the wad guide its centered before completing the stoke. Parts are a phone call and lifetime free to the owner.

Maltz

8. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I have one. I love it. It is not without its quirks so if you are not mechanically inclined, you will be frustrated. If you are impatient or expect everything to work 100% all the time, you will be unhappy.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have one of the first ones ever sold, and s second I bought used 9 years ago. They both run smooth as silk, once you get the hang of stroke timing. I've never paid for a part, and just like any other loader they will occasionally need a part. Adjustable shot and powder systems, so no bushings required. Either is much faster than a my PW electric, even though they don't hold as many components. I've also had a number of Mec's and a Pacific, no comparison. The Dillon is a great machine, but you have to pull the handle. They do not make one with a electric or hydraulic drive system.

10. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

The 900 is not a bad machine by all means. I used to think it was a great machine until I switched to P/W. I have found that a P/W with a auto case feed and auto drive can not be beat and that is coming from someone who has owned and loaded on both. Good luck with your decision

11. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I have used the SL900 for several years, actually had three at one time. Still have one, just back from a check up at Dillons where they replaced a few things. I've loaded 25 shells since it came back just to ensure it was still set right for my loads.

I bought a Spolar in the fall of 2008 because as I get older I tend to get "tennis elbow" from pulling the handle on the Dillon. The Spolar is hydraulic.

I use the Dillon once in a while, but use the Spolar all the time.

Is the shell hopper size a problem? Not for me. I load about 90-100, stop for a few seconds, throw hulls in the hopper, add a box of primers and continue on. A minute or less to do that.

I've thought about selling my Dillon since I hardly use it, but hate the thought of packing it up, although I still have a factory box. And, if I did sell it, it'd be nice to find a local buyer so he's get it set up, ready to load and I could show him how it works.

The price sounds fair, and there's really not a great learning curve, so I think I'd buy it. I found the Dillon far easier to use and keep running than any MEC I ever had. I honestly don't think I'd recommend it for someone who has never reloaded before, but, for someone with experience, it'd be pretty easy to learn the ins and outs.

Bob

12. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I owned a 9000G before I got the chance to get a Dillon. For the money the MEC was hard to beat, but imagine: 1. A 9000 whose handle effort is at least 10 times less. 2. A 9000 whose resizing collet doesn't attract stray shot, dirt, jam, fail to drop the hull, or require lubrication. 3. A 9000 that doesn't require you to let go of the handle to insert a wad in the wad guide. 4. A 9000 that loads the empty hull onto the loader for you. 5. A 9000 that allows you to adjust the powder/shot to fit your needs (with seemingly no thread lash). 6. A 9000 that holds 25 lbs of shot(in a container that won't break off). 7. A 9000 that never needs a replacement "gas spring". 8. A 9000 that never has a charging bar lock back hiccup (shot shower). 9. A 9000 that has a lifetime warranty. 10. A 9000 that will crank out 25 loaded rounds in 1'38" in "cruise" mode.

Is the Dillon perfect? Nah, nothing is, but set the 9000 aside and see how long it sits there before you bring it back. Good luck.

13. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I was thinking of getting a Dillon SL900, I have a 650 and 2 Square Deal B's now. I currently use a Mec 9000G, but I got it used and have been having a few problems with it. Thanks for the advice you all gave to AZ Outlaw!

Looks like its a SL900 for me too!

14. addictedtotrap

addictedtotrap Member

I have the Dillion reloader, for the shooting I do it makes great shells in little time.. I am feeding 4 Shotguns at the moment, so I sit down and in a little while (hour maybe 2)I have several shells ready to go..
    Love the Dillion and cant beat their customer service.

Jake

15. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

WTF

Every reloader has it quirks.

If you can't deal with them shoot gun clubs or any other shells and get the rebate.

If you buy in bulk and reload 1 oz shells your cost is around 3.90 a box.

You can buy cheap wally world or dicks @ 4.79 a box on sale and not worry about anything. Just shop and look.

If you are that worried about what you are shooting and the cost, maybe the time and effort would be better spent...... on bowling or watching ufc cage fighting, fishing, or politics.

Just a guy that does not shoot registered ATA

By the way, I have a MEC Grabber, and it does ok, since i have been fishing this year.

Kenny U

16. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Had a Dillon for years. Great loader. Had PW and Pacific before.
    Still have PW and it sits idle. Like has been said has a few
    quirks but what loader doesn't. Some folks should shoot factory
    shells.

Doyal

17. Reinz

Reinz Member

Had a Mec 9000 that would not drop powder in 2 out 500 rounds. In my game, that is a lost match. I had a SL900 waiting for a part. Fixed it, sold it, but never tried it. I decided to just go with the best and get a Spolar.

Now after reading this, I wonder if I should have given the Dillon a chance ?
    I own 3 Dillon cartridge loaders and love them. Love the Spolar too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
dillon 300 loader

dillon 9000 loader