1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Citori XT Trap with GraCoil

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ricky B, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ricky B

Ricky B TS Member

I've been shooting trap off and on for over 25 years but I've never seriously gotten into the game. Recently I've been shooting a Beretta 687 sporting clays model (6.8 lbs). I've never had a problem with recoil with it.

I am thinking about getting a new gun solely for trap and have been considering the Citori XT Gold with an adjustable comb and GraCoil recoil reducer. The idea of being able to adjust the comb and LOP is very appealing. I'm not sure I need a recoil reducer, but I have often heard and read experienced shooters say that recoil is cumulative, and if it doesn't bother you, that just means you haven't shot enough.

I know the XT Trap is cheaper, but I like the way the Gold looks and don't want to fool with finding someone to add the GraCoil and make an adjustable stock. I can get a good enough price on an XT Gold that I am satisfied with the cost of the gun, but the gun is not local. I would have to buy it and have it shipped. Therefore I can't try it out.

I know the best way to try a different gun is to join a trap league and try other members' guns, but I can't join a league right now.

Is the XT a popular trap gun?

Are there any idiosyncracies that people complain about?

Does the shooter notice the operation of GraCoil? By that I mean, does the operation of the GraCoil distract the shooter? (The first time I shot my 1100 in doubles, the sound of the action operating to chamber a second round was distracting.)

Does the GraCoil adversely affect the balance of the gun?

At 9 lbs., is there any significant recoil to begin with? Might it be too heavy?

Do you recommend 30" or 32" barrels?

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

2. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I have one and the GraCoil does not bother me at all. I shoot doubles with it and do not notice it at all. Mine is a 32in O/U. I'm not a good doubles shooter but thats not the XT's fault it shoots right where I point it. I've been shooting it for 2 years now and no problems at all. I like it alot.

3. Kent

Kent TS Member

If you are going to get the Gracoil unit go all in and get the adjustable LOP version. You will always be satisfied then. My XT and my Grade III Citori have had them on as soon as I could get the job done. One other thing.....Don't try and set the unit so that you feel no recoil at all and it almost bottoms out on you when fired. Tighten to themax and back off just a little to take the initial sharpness of the recoil. Espescially if you every shoot doubles.

4. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

"Do you recommend 30" or 32" barrels?" How big a boy are 'ya?

5. nobody

nobody TS Member

I have a Citori with a reducer and 32" barrels. The 32" barrels seem to balance better with the weight of reducer. With the reducer and the heavy weight of Citori's, it will be a soft shooting gun.

6. Frye

Frye TS Member

I'm a HUGE fan of these guns. You get a very nice package for the price you pay. I have both the XT 32" and the XT unsingle combo. Both with MC stocks. These are very well balanced, soft shooting guns as they are. I considered a set up similar to the one your considering and I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money. I simply don't need it. These fit me right out of the box.
    You'll have all the adjustabilty you need to get the gun to fit you if you go with the comb and adjustable gracoil. Both of my Citori's are grade 1 and they are stunning to look at. I've never seen the grade 5 or 6 in person but I can only image the wood they put on those... OH MY!.. I see More and More XT's on the line every week.. that's gotta tell ya somethin'!

I have and will continue to HIGHLY recommend these guns to anyone that asks. Alot of people have approached me about my unsingle and everyone is impressed with it. I've let a few shoot it and they loved it right off the bat.

I don't wanna get flamed by the Perazzi and Kreighoff guys for braggin' up on a Browning. Those guns are WAY out of my price range so for you guys that have one, I still envy you!

7. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

I have 2, an xt top single combo 34\30 and an xt 32. Great guns as every kid and adult in TN has shot the 32 and no problems. Well not everyone I guess but a bunch. I replace the springs and firing pins every year they never need it but I'm anal about a broken gun being a rock. Do it yourself for $30 in parts. Very simple design.

I would highly recommend them to anyone

8. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I shoot a Citori Special Trap, 32 inch with adjustable comb and a LOP adjustable Gracoil. Putting on the Gracoil was something I did the first year I bought the gun also the first year I shot trap (2000). All that it did was ruin a perfectly good stock. Unless you are growing, I see no reason for an adjustable LOP. If I want to change LOP, I change the recoil pad.

As far as the recoil reduction, mine is set as tight as it will go and I really wish it were solid wood. I found that shooting doubles with something that moved around under me cost me second targets.

The Gracoil buttplate does not use floating steel threads for the recoil pad screws. You must put the steel pad screws into soft aluminum threads. Very easy to strip and you may not even be aware that you did it. A few years ago at the Maryland state shoot, my recoil pad fell off the gun while putting the gun into the rack after the first 50. I think I was shooting class B at the time and had shot a 48 on that trap. I gotta tell you that I did not have as much fun on the second half.

My bottom line is that my doubles average last year was just under 92 on 4,400 targets and I like that gracoil so much that I called Wenig and ordered a new machine inletted laminated stock which I am in the process of fitting. I will never put one of those things on a gun again (a Gracoil).

9. Ricky B

Ricky B TS Member

Jon Reitz: I'm 6', 200 lbs.

All: Thanks for the replies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta 687sporting 32 inch for sale

beretta 687sporting good for trap

citori gold plus gracoil

citori gracoil

citori xt trap stock adjustments