1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Canterbury Wireless Voice Release

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by zzt, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

My club is considering changing from the wired system to the wireless system. If your club uses the Canterbury wireless release system, I'd like to hear your opinions. How do you like it? Does it perform the same as or better than the wired? Are there any problem areas or gotchas? Thanks in advance.

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I had experienced Canterbury wireless, just once @ a club in NJ--they performed the same as the wired units. However; & a big however; ERAD is the way to go.

Phil Berkowitz

3. gary0920

gary0920 Member

Tallahassee Rifle & Pistol Club has had the wireless CRV for 2 years. They work great, and no wires or boxes to mess with. We change out all the batteries (24) about 3 times a year. I would give them an A+ rating.

Gary Rickard

4. J. Fox

J. Fox TS Member

zzt

Our club bought one set of Wireless Canterbury 2 year ago and we were not pleased with them. From a function standpoint they worked well with new batteries which didn't last long and you would start getting slow pulls. We also had some trouble throwing targets from the 27 yard-line and when we played our games such as jacktrap. You still have the cluttered fields with all the equipment to move around and store, cross calls, wind effecting calls and throwing targets, and also talking by shooters and pullers throw targets. We now have two sets of ERAD at our club. Our club members can come out and shoot anytime but have to set up and store the equipment. We have had the 2 sets of ERADs about 18 months and our practice shooting has almost double. Have yet to replace any batteries. We plan to get 2 more sets of ERADs next Spring so all our program fields will have the same system.

Hope this helps. jake513

5. trapgeek

trapgeek Member

Well, we have 4 sets of them with the oldest being 3 years old and we love them. They work great and we have no problem with pulls from the 27 yard line. I highly recomend them - no wires to deal with!

Trapgeek

Leslie York

St Joe County (MI) Conservation Club

6. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Our club has 4 sets of them and we are well pleased. No problems and a lot less hassle setting up................Uncle Sam, Pa.

7. JJM

JJM Member

I have shot at a club that used both wire and wireless Canterbury voice calls.
    In order for the wireless to function properly the transceivers must be located as high as possible on the back of the trap house. The speaker stands must have the transmitter located on them as high as possible or you will get a bounced signal to the transceivers. This will result in a slow or no target being thrown.
    Shooting at a club that uses both type of voice calls where the wireless is not properly installed can result in an unfair play field. The ATA rule book does not address the subject of functional or nonfunctional voice calls. A shooters only option is to not participate at those clubs only interested in target revenue. Joe Miller Omaha, NE

8. Mo Bill

Mo Bill Member

I have shot over them just once.I liked the absence of wires,but many
    slow or no targets.It was not just me,many shooters had the same trouble,
    vexing to say the least.

I don't know if it was the equipment or the tone of our calls.In any
    case it was not a good experience.

Mo Bill

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

According to Bob Schultz of Target Shotguns who is a CVR dealer, the transmitters should be about 12-16" off the floor on the stands. We've had one wireless CVR set for about 3-4 months and it's been flawless with zero problems.

Eric

10. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

We've been using the wireless CRV for three years now and after some minor setup problems (our fault), they have worked absolutely flawlessly. And an increase in 'target revenues' is not the only benefit they'll bring. It's cutting edge trap and cuts down on unnecessary noise on the line.

LA in MA

11. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I never liked them at the two clubs I have shot at. Lots of no pulls. Rather go with the wired ones any day.

12. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

zzt,

ERAD is the Future and Should be your Choice. All others are Obsolete.

Gunnerx

13. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

what's ERAD?

14. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Click on the link and it will take you to a recent thread on ERAD. Bill Malcolm

15. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your comments and recommendations. This is going to be an interesting process.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mu club uses the wireless Canterbury system. We moved the receiver outside of the trap house and they work pretty good. You do need the transmitters pointed at the receiver.

I also like the ERAD system but they have a major design problem for trap shooting. They are designed to do too many things and have a lot of buttons that must be pushed in the correct order. They deactivate if setting for several minutes and if shooters who do not know what to do try to turn them on and the wrong buttons are pushed, it can cause a major delay.

The ERAD system also results in some extra walking for us. I frequently arrive at the next trap and discover I forgot to leave the transmitter at the last trap and I have to walk back.

At one time, I was concerned with shooters unintentionally driving home with the ERAD transmitter still clipped on. That concern seems to be unfounded. North Carolina has used them for a few years on 12 fields and have not lost any.

Pat Ireland

17. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

It's not just walking off with the ERAD that's a problem. Last time I shot with them the shooter next to me called for a target..no target came out..called again..same result..looked down to check his ERAD and realized he
    forgot to put one on.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

dickgtax- I have done that more than once.

ERAD are sensitive to getting wet. They fit nicely into a water proof plastic sandwich bag with only the clip sticking out. They work well in their dry bag.

The Canterbury wireless systems do not seem to be affected by rain the few times I have used them during a shower. But, I am affected by rain and try not to shoot when it is raining hard enough to make a spot on my glasses.

Pat Ireland

19. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Our club tried ERAD's and most of the members absolutely hated them. tried pinning them all over my shirt and got a lot of no targrts. We now have wireless Canterbury's on 4 fields and the wired ones on the rest. The wireless are great as there are no cords to get all tangled up and it literally only takes about two minutes to shut a field down for the day. Just make sure that all the trnsmitters are turned off before storage. It's real easy to leave them on and they don't shut off automatically. The pullers button does shut down after two minutes of inaction.

Tim

20. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

X2 fan,

The individual transmitters will power off automatically after 5 minutes once the receiver is disconnected from the relay box in the house.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ata trap wireless voice release
canterbury voice release systems for sale north carolina

canterbury voice release troubleshooting

canterbury voice release verizon wireless upgrade setup
canterbury wireless voice release
canterbury wireless voice release troubleshooting
canterbury wirelesstrap voice
wireless speakers for trap shooting