1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

opinions - on Cadillac motor

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Coming home from gun club today I stopped to gas up the F250 and the guy next to me fueling had a for sale sign in his Caddy. I've been toying with the idea of getting a road car for road trips because I'm tired of driving the truck everywhere. So I asked him about his car.

It's a 2003 CTS with 85K miles and he is asking $8250. Seemed to be in great shape - old guy, orginial owner. Anyway it has a 3.2L engine in it. That is the thing that scares/worries me. 3.2L - damn isn't that a small engine for a 4 door Caddy? I'll probably put less than 5000 miles a year on it, so longevity isn't the worry. Just worried about power, I don't want a big a*$ dog, that is going to tick me off everytime I get in it.

Anybody have any experience with a 3.2L in a CTS Caddy?

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Would you be happy with a 220 hp engine in a mid size car?

3. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Stay away. Warranty companies won't cover them. What's that tell you.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I am on my eighth and last Cadillac. When they are right, they are hard to beat on the road. The engine has a power band like an electric motor, and is under rated. Fuel economy, ride, comfort, and handling is at the top of the domestic food chain.

Bad thing is, when they get miles on them, they get horribly expensive to keep up. The car maker only has to stock parts for a vehicle 7 years, then you are looking at junkyard parts for some things.

The CTS has issues with the timing chain. Something to think about. Apparently, it is an interference valve engine. If the chain pukes, the engine is puked.

If the oil change interval is 6000 miles, which is what Cadillac says, the engine can have issues when it gets long in the tooth.

Google Cadillac CTS problems

Many independent shops will not work on a Cadillac. (PITA)

Looking at a Toyota for the next car.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Bisi- A couple years ago I was looking for a good road car also. I asked my brother in law long time mechanic. He gave me some good advice. Cadillac never made but one good motor and that is the Northstar V8. There are several good road cars out here and none of them will cost you that much. GM made the V6 3800 motor and it is a good one. You will find it in Bucik Lesabre and Park Ave's etc. Ford made the V8 4.6 in thier Crwon Vics, Lincolns and Merc. The ford is rear wheel drive, heavy, rides like a dream, goes like a rabbit and gets 25-16 on the hwy. You can find an old used crown Vic or even Lincoln Cont cheap. I bought a Crown Vic and have had it now 3 years and love it. If it were to fail, I would find another. My son found an older Buick Park Avenue and he has had same results. I paid $1500 for the Crown Vic, 1993 that belonged to an older lady who drove it back and forth from Idaho to Arizona each srping and fall. It had 73,000 miles and now has 123,000. Great car, clean and what a ride.I personally would stay away from the Caddy you are speaking of. Over the years Caddy had some real lemons until the Norhtstar. However the 3.6 may be ok, not the 3.2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.