1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on buying "as is"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GBatch_25, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Opinions on buying

Just my opinion. If I can't inspect it and have the option of sending it back, I don't bother. UNLESS, I have had prior dealings with the seller and am comfortable.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Opinions on buying

Depends on the price. I like to shoot it before I decide to buy it. HMB

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Opinions on buying

"As is" doesn't mean you relinquish your right to inspection. If you are denied that right then you should move on.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Opinions on buying

I would pass

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Opinions on buying

I might risk it on a low priced gun; or a gun that is selling far below its value. NO WAY otherwise.

A 3 day inspection is common and not unreasonable. If the seller is unwilling, there are a lot of guns out there - so pass.

Don Verna

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Opinions on buying

No inspection = No Sale! I don't care if I had dealings with that person before. They are hiding a serious flaw with a listing like that.

ss

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Opinions on buying

I would bet that something is wrong. You probably would not find the problem until you actually shoot the gun. Suggest, let some other sucker deal with this character.
    Steve Balistreri

8. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Opinions on buying

3 day inspections .... Is what is common on most Internet Deals...Here's How they Work.Buyer sends payment along with FFL Dealer info. to Seller.. Seller sends Gun to Buyers FFL Dealer...Dealer recieves package and Opens Box...Buyer comes to Dealer and Inspects Gun in Store...Has 3 days to ya or na gun deal..it NEVER LEAVES FFL DEALERS POSSESSION until Deal is Excepted and Transfered to New Owner...NO TEST DRIVES Until YOU OWN IT. And of coarse Hand to Hand Deals at the Gun Club are a Different Thing. Shoot Well..Shoot Often

9. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Opinions on buying

I have bought and sold both cars and guns 'for parts only'. If the deal is fully understood by both an informed buyer and an honest seller, I have no problem with 'as is' sales.

LA in MA

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Opinions on buying

My thought on inspection doesnt include shooting it- why would it?

Just because you decide you really dont like an MX10 for example after shooting it- isnt inspection--- it is a trial period

If you receive it- inspect it and it is as advertised- that is an inspection

If someone wants to give you a trial period- well I guess that is what you call it- a trial period on his or her dime

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Opinions on buying

I've seen so many misrepresented guns out there.. I'd demand an inspection period..or at least.. have a friend in the area go look at it and report back to me.. Even with that.. on a Perazzi.. everything can look great outside.. and have severe problems internally..

I just spoke to a guy at the gunclub.. who just bought a 687 Beretta.. top barrel shoots high and to the right.. bottom barrel shoots low and to the left.. He bought it used.."Like New".. The factory would be of no help.. They said it fell with in specs..

I have always said.. a standard should be set for used gun..like a car certification check list.. Where a regestered gunsmith would check out the specific things on a gun..and those papers would follow the gun thru a transaction.. There might be a charge for that service.. but it would certainly help in the sale of it.. Something like what Percision triggers is doing now..

All Good.. Mike BTW.. At the GRAND I'll inspect any Perazzi you're looking to buy at no cost to you.. That's a full take down inspection..so you'll know what you're buying.. Some people I made happy.. some people were less than happy..and returned the gun without purchase..

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Opinions on buying

Well, I won't buy a gun if I don't have a "trial period" so I can shoot it. If I can't shoot it, I don't buy it. It's that simple.

The last gun I bought on TS.com came with a three day inspection period. It poured rain for those days so I asked the seller for a two day extension. He said yes. I tested the gun on the pattern board and bought it. If the seller hadn't extended the inspection period, I'd have sent it back.

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Opinions on buying

While I mean no disrespect to anyone.. Seeing how many shooters can't even adjust their comb..makes me think how many of these people could describe.. or even know if there was a problem.. I put shells in it.. it goes bang.. it's in excellent condition..

14. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Opinions on buying

Touche' Mike. JW

15. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Opinions on buying

Unless the gun is grossly misrepresented, you shouldn't be returning. An extra ding on the stock is not a reason to return it unless it was represented as being in mint condition.

Also, it shouldn't take you three days to inspect a gun. When it arrives, go look at it. If it's not in the condition stated in the sale, return it the next day. But, things happen and you can't always get to the FFL right away. So, three days is not unreasonable, but it shouldn't be expected unless stated.

I would never allow a person I didn't know shoot my gun unless I was at the range with them. Sorry, shooting is not part of an inspection. If it functions mechanically, it will shoot. I don't know of any gun dealer that would let you shoot a new gun, why is a used one any different?

16. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Opinions on buying

I agree with the "no shoot" inspection period. If the gun is being sold as "used", don't expect any of the parts to be "new" and not have any failure of any kind the day after you take delivery. It's a used gun. A firing pin can break the next day or 3 years from now.....that's the risk you take buying a used gun. How do I know, as a seller, the buyer will not use reloads or put a thousand rounds down range, clean it up and send it back within the 3 day inspection period (which really turned into a 3 day demo period for him)?

As a seller, I offer only a non-shoot inspection period. This helps weed out the guys looking to demo a gun and waste my time or someone who I don't trust or know, use reloads that could cause a kaboom in the gun.

17. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Opinions on buying

There are many dealers that will let you shoot a new gun you are planning to buy. I would never buy a gun I could not have the right to shoot first. A prime example is a gun that does not shoot to POI or barrels are not regulated correctly. If you do not shoot it first or with a trial firing or you are now stuck and have to deal with the manufacture with the typical it is within tolerance answer. Now you have to pass the gun off yourself adding to the ugly scenario. Shoot it first remove all doubt with that said there must be a problem with the gun to return it not a change of mind or heart. A three day inspection allows a return with out cause and a no shoot rule may be requested on that one I just pass.

18. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Opinions on buying

dealers have the $$$ to take a hit to allow a gun to be demo'ed.....private sellers do not...

19. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Opinions on buying

No dealer I've ever heard of will allow you to shoot a new gun before you buy it. They would be crazy to do so. Just one round through the gun and it takes a bunch off the selling price because now it's a used gun.

Some dealers have "demo" guns so you can shoot a gun that's similar to the one you're looking at, but they won't let you shoot the gun that hasn't been fired yet.

What I've done with some potential buyers is offer them a demo of my gun for $100. If they buy the gun, the $100 will go toward the price of the gun. This weeds out all the tire kickers who just want to shoot my gun.

20. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Opinions on buying

DB Bill,

I'm speechless. I can't believe that a person would try to return a gun under those conditions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.