1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Briley Helix choke tubes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SouthMetro Shooter, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthMetro Shooter

SouthMetro Shooter TS Member

Hey all. Thinkin of getting one of these new Helix choke tubes from Briley for my 390. If anyone has any opinions on these choke tubes, please share. Yeah they look funky and are a chunk of change too. But if they work, who cares right. Thanks.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

By chance I just shot 10 each patterns from the 40 with the modified and xf ones in a 391. It'll take a while to analyze the patterns, but what do you mean by "if they work?" What are you expecting?

Neil

3. SouthMetro Shooter

What i meant is if they do what Briley says they do. Which if i remember right is spread the shot out more over the pattern and less flyers. That is if i am remembering right.

Matt

4. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

<I>"What i meant is if they do what Briley says they do. Which if i remember right is spread the shot out more over the pattern and less flyers."</i>

If they do that, it contradicts the purpose of having different constrictions.

Both Dr. A.C. Jones and Neil Winston has shown more than once that at a given distance, the overall pattern size varies little from a open choke to a tight one. The difference is that as the chokes get tighter, the more of the pellets will be concentrated in the inner part of the pattern.

To say that a line of chokes is better because it will spread the shot out more over the pattern contradicts logic. Sounds like a marketing spin to me.

Mike K

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

My money is on "gimmick."

I suspect they will pattern no better, and proibably no worse, than any other choke.

6. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Seriously doubt that the "target escape holes in any pattern" phenomenon are solved with this "gimmick"...sorry to borrow your description, Tim, but it is right on. A good ol' ventilated Poly-Choke would be more versatile. Best Regards, Ed

7. SouthMetro Shooter

I just had Comp-n-choke tubes also brought up in a pm. Which is more popular or better(However better is defined)?

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Again, SMS, I haven't gone over the data as carefully as I should even though they are a year old now, but I must say the Comp-n-chokes look very good, so good I bought some "Kicks" just to see if there is anything to those holes (they share the characteristic of lots of big holes.)

I'll have the answer in a week, probably on North Star Clay Target if Ron wants it.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

opinion on briley helix choke