1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Bowen Trap Guns?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by George MT., Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George MT.

George MT. Moderator Staff Member

I have an interest in finding out from anyone who might own a Bowen Trap Gun what thier opinions are and what led them to the purchase of a Bowen.I have not had a chance to shoot one or see one except for thier web site.I guess we are all searching for the best performance out of a trap gun we can afford,so it would be nice to hear from any Bowen shooters.Thanks in advance for any replys.George JR.

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Ditto.

3. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

After looking at them closely, and several times, at the Grand I think they are an IMPROVED design of the Seitz! My buddys Seitz was popping open because he had too much lube on it! A Bowen sure won't. I consider it one of the finest guns made.

4. antique

antique TS Member

look at the Bowen that buckshot has for sale on this site

5. Ithaca$$$Grade

Ithaca$$$Grade Active Member

George, here is some information I has posted a while back on a Bowen/Silver Seitz comparison. My email and phone number are at the bottom it you want to contact me with any more questions. Happy Hunting. Jim W

jrc,

I went through the exact same decision that your going through last year. I researched all of the high end guns, came to the conclusion that what I really wanted was a single barrel gun, not a combo, and narrowed it down to the Bowen or the Seitz.

I travel a little and whenever I saw somebody that was shooting either gun I would ask them if I could look at it, shoulder it, and if it seemed to line up for me, shoot it. You will be surprised at how many shooters will let you shoot their gun. I went to the Grand and brought both guns to the practice field to shoot them. If I was down a target or two in a 200 target race I asked to shoot the gun for the next 100 targets. If I was going to invest that much money in a gun I wanted to make sure it was what I wanted and expected. I took both guns apart, barrel off, side plate off, and checked how the fit & finish was not only on the outside but inside as well.

After a year of looking I came to the conclusion that the Bowen & the Seitz are not the "same" gun. Similar? At first glance, maybe. But after looking closely they are both their "own" guns.

They don't take down the same, the receivers are different sizes, they don't weigh the same. The Bowen is a close replica of the gun Tom Seitz designed.

So, after all that I chose the Bowen. I found the fit and finish, both outside and especially inside superior to the Silver Seitz. Every part inside a Bowen is hand polished and hand fitted. The tolerances are checked over and over again. The barrels are possibly the straightest, most concentric in the industry. Each barrel is regulated to throw the best pattern. There aren't any choke options, you just get the best choke constriction for crushing targets. The service you get when you go to the shop is second to none. They expect to spend a day and a half with you to fit the stock, make any adjustments and shoot the gun at a local gun club. It takes them "about" 300 hours to complete each gun. For me, the Bowen has a lot less felt recoil.

Like has been said on this site so many times before, look long and hard, handle as many as you can, shoot as many as you can, and then make your decision. Mine should be done soon, if we run into each other you are welcome to try it. Call me if you want to talk more. xxxxjimw-mn@earthlink.netxxxxx 952-888-3805

Jim W

6. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I suppose I'll be the fly in the ointment here. I have shot 4 different Bowen guns....with dubious success. I have 3 friends/acquaintances that own or have owned Bowens....all three have had problems with their guns coming open when fired and with the forestock coming off. Additionally, all 3 met with resistance or refusal of Bowen to make the problem right. I find George JR's comment about recoil being surprisingly light for the weight of the gun to be true, but still not as light as my Alfermann, which does weigh considerably more, nor any lighter than the 5 Silver Seitz guns that I've shot. Should you decide to spend that kind of money for a gun, I hope your experience is more like the other testimonies here.

Buz

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

The only comment that I can make is if you get a chance to talk to Gerald Michell do so.

When Bruce Bowen brought out an adjustable rib prototype a couple of years ago he asked Mr. Mitchell to shoot it and tell him what he thought. Bruce had to fight to get the gun out of his hands. Gerald went out and promply broke a 98 in the 'caps without any warm up time on the gun. The gun was set up for him but no practice.

ec90t

8. George MT.

George MT. Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the replys.I currently shoot a Kolar combo and have been very pleased with it.I have grown comfortable with the Kolar but am also always seeking better performance.How does the action break open on the Bowen?I do not see any obvious latchs,levers ect.I would like an adjustable rib and comb if possible on a Bowan.I live in Montana and even though I try to compete as much as my work schedule will allow I do not get to some of the larger shoots where I might beable to try one.Does anyone know if he has a demonstrater plan?I know some companys do,that was how I found my Kolar. Thanks George Jr.

9. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Wellllll, that explains it DBBill. Anyone that would drive a YELLOW pickup can't be trusted to give an honest opinion. LOL! Now, a red pickup, like mine, would be different. Seriously, I was shooting on the same squad with the proud owner of new adj. rib Bowen when the forestock came off and hit the concrete as he opened it. He had the damage repaired and the very next time he shot it, the thing came off again. He had traded a Silver Seitz for the Bowen (along with some serious cash, I suspect) and has now traded back for a new Silver Seitz. Obviously, everyone hasn't had that kind of experience, but all three of the ones I know did. That's too many for me.

Buz

10. buckshot

buckshot Active Member

Let me say, ive owned them all, but stayed with the Silver seitz for 14 yrs
    Ser# 55,
    but last Saturday i bought a titanium Silver seitz, with an adjustable #2 rib, release trigger, seems like its a lb and 1/2 lighter than my #55, and honestly kicks less than my old one with PFS, must be the Wilkinson choke work, and overbore that tames it down, moves much faster , i hope ill shoot it as well or better than #55, in the years of shooting the Seitz, it popped open when it rained and i was already shooting on line, the grease and water did get into the lock, but Jerry and Ritchie always fixed them to new condition, there service was the best ive ever received, as well Mel and Glen Hunting here at the Silver Dollar, they have fixed many other guns for me, i do have a Bowen for sale that needs a new home call me at 586-322-9282, Tom Nowak

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

There's one reason to buy a Bowen, and that's you will get what you think you are buying. It will shoot straight, produce full choke patterns, and if you want it to shoot 2 inches high - or 10 - at 40 yards it will.

He has an indoor range, a mechanical gun rest which removes the human element, and Shotgun-insight software, all remotely operated, which will which will determine where, exactly, your shot is going. It'll be straight, right to left, and as high as you specify.

I have bought literally dozens of guns many of which were not much good, and they include all the premium brands mentioned here, Several were worthless in spite of their 5 to 10 thousand dollar price-tags. I have barrels here with certified POI which shoot in entirely different places than specified.

In general people have little idea where their guns shoot, or even if they shoot straight. Getting everything right, and knowing it's right, and simply knowing what's going on is a foundation to build your next step in improvement on.

You are not just buying a gun, you are buying a lot of technology you can't get anywhere else at any price. Looked at in that light, they are cheap.

Neil

12. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

DB Bill with all do respect your comparison Alfermann---NASCAR should read Alfermann----Dodge viper with the venom package. I own both Alfermanns the quality and craftsmanship built into these guns are second to none. But like all guns there not for everyone. Last year at the Minn. state shoot I shot with Ithaca$$$grade he was shooting his new Bowen and I must say he had the best looking gun at the shoot. I talked to Bruce Bowen about his guns and I was impressed. Bruce makes top quality guns for sure. If for some reason i was going to switch guns which I am not I would probably go with a Bowen. Bruce looked at my Alfermann and complemented them about the top notch machine work Gary and Larry do.

13. LI

LI TS Member

I got a new Bowen last July and have put just under 5,000 shells through it. My forearm also came off in my hand shooting hdcp. one day but a quick phone call solved the problem. In fact, I have always had a very speedy response to any queries I have made of Bruce whether before or after the sale. I bought the Bowen because I liked the construction and the looks. I was treated very well at the plant when I went to be fitted in spite of Bruce being under the weather with some dental surgery. It also feels trimmer in my hands than any of the Silver Seitz/Alferman guns I handled. A month or so after getting the gun I broke a 98 (from 27) in the Nitro Hdcp. at the Grand so I'm quite pleased with it. I think there are a lot of great guns out there but for me it is a BB gun. Larry

14. antique

antique TS Member

great gun

15. bigben

bigben Active Member

Shoot both, they are very close and I'm sure any one you choose that will in the end, give you many hundreds of thousands of rounds service,my Seitz gun has been a joy to shoot as far as the Bowen and Seitz opening up after firing, a simple tired coil spring has to be replaced, and as keybear said, no big deal, it has nothing to do being wet or over lubed, both are notorious for being target crushers and some All Americans many discriminating shooters shoot both very very well, you choose! incinerate em!

16. BlackBelt

BlackBelt TS Member

I can comment on this issue - drawing from my experience. I currently shoot a Gold Seitz (made by Silver Seitz). Additionally, I just sold a Silver Seitz (#36X) about a month ago - which I shot for two years.

Before I purchased my first Seitz two years ago, I shot both the Bowen and the Silver Seitz - actually, I shot several of each. Beyond a doubt, I found that the Bowen definitely had MORE recoil when compared to an equally equipped Silver Seitz - shooting identical loads.

The BB gun is definitely one of the finest trap guns made. For me however, I chose the Silver Seitz and I have NEVER regretted my decision. Undoubtedly, each shooter will relate differently to the recoil issue. I'm just presenting my experience which is based upon owning two beautiful SS guns.

By the way - Silver Seitz has a new web site under construction - www.silverseitz.com

One other note - as Big Ben said above, the simple solution for a Seitz or Bowen breaking open is to have the coil spring replaced.

Terry Diener
    Kenmore, WA

17. k-gunguy

k-gunguy Member

If you want a super quality gun,that is EXTREMELY well made, will NOT brake open,shoots superbly, check out a Bill Cole. I love mine, needs service every 200.000 rounds. Check it out.
    GAZ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
alfermann shotguns any good
bowen gun for sale
bowen trap gun
bowen trap gun any good
bowen trap gun trapshooters

bowen trap guns

bowen trap shotguns
single barrel trap shotguns for sale---- bowens