1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

opinions on Beretta 391

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Just got a new Beretta 391 and was wanting some imput on their durability. Thanks

2. chuckles

chuckles Member

Best shotgun ever manufactured, the gun will, in all likely hood, outlive you and your children.

The number 2 and number 3 best All Around shotgunners in the World shoot Beretta 391's...

Scotty Robertson and Anthony Materassi

3. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Excellent. 5 stars out of 5.

4. 525Shooter

525Shooter Member

I love mine. I have had it for over 8 years and have used it for waterfowl, upland birds, trap, skeet and sporting clays. Durable as heck and have never had a malfunction. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine!!

5. brantman

brantman TS Member

had nothing but ejection problems with mine,got rid of it and bought a k gun and never looked back

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I have about 30K rounds through my 391. No problems.

I have retired it as my main competition gun due to the better trigger and simplicity of a hinge gun.

It is still fun to shoot, and the recoil is soft.

7. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

best target gun for the money

8. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

If you stay with 3 dram max. target loads,or lighter, they will function andd last fine. If you plan on shooting Heavy Oakley loads,1-1/4--1-3/8-- 1-1/2 they will not take the pounding. Its a proven fact at our club. Nobody shoots them anymore here!!

9. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

They are pretty durable in that nothing breaks, but they don't work very well. Mine doesn't feed & chamber shells very reliably from the magazine. Frustrating for doubles and for high volume bird hunting. It is the best looking auto and handles well but if it won't shoot.....?

The crummy performance of the 391 drove me to just bite the bullet and buy a Perazzi, now I keep the 391 for when I shoot in heavy rain or when I take a newbie to the range for singles, so really, it's no more versatile than my aluma-hyde coated H&R Topper which I bought for $12.

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I've owned nearly every auto ever made. Beretta 391 is a very good gun unless you like more weight, then I would find a Super X-1 and update it. They all require cleaning, but the 391 is more tolerant of residue.

1187's are good, but they can't take high volumn shooting like a 391. The Benelli sport has a crappy trigger and they have more recoil. The SX2 weighs a ton when stoked with shells and shoots flatter than it looks. The Brownings have had reliabilty issues. The only pain with the 391 is cleaning the gas system thoroughly.

Actually, I prefer the action of the Extrema (my duck gun). Soft shooting, easy to clean, shoots reliably in cold weather, and weight/balance is good.
    I've oftened wondered why Beretta doesn't shift to that action on all their guns.

11. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

The 303 and 390 were the best autos Beretta ever produced and that is not even questioned by the guys that now shoot for Beretta and are forced to shoot the 391. Keeping it simple was a problem for the Beretta development team for some reason. The 391's gas system is overly complicated for no reason.

12. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i will sell 10 303's to 1 -391! both great guns but the 303 has a "cult" following!! like bad303 said the 390 is a good one as well! the 2nd shell feeding problem that 391's can have , i believe a new shell lift/carrier for a 303(its something in the shape of it) , put on the trigger assembly fixes it!! why beretta wont admit they have a problem is beyond me!! that is the only complaint i have had>

13. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Wally i am told that Beretta developed the straight carrier for the WEuropen market and the shells they shoot overseas. And the correct fix on the 391 carrier is to get either a 303 or 390 carrier. That does solve the feeding issues but the gas systems must have been built by an engineer that wanted everyone to see how complicated he could make it. Thus "earning" his keep. The 390 may be the best all around auto and the reason they are even harder to find than the 303's.

14. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

back to the original thread question--durability of a 391?? i wudnt worry about it--i know a guy who has never cleaned his 391. and shoots trap every week! sometimes i think its a personal psychological thing----or unlucky!!!!!

15. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

wow great news i just bought a used A390ST sport, and looking forward to trying it out this coming monday

16. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

You all say the 390 is hard to find? The local walmart here in WV sells new ones for $570. Yeah they are field models but I wonder why they would still have them? I thought they were not made anymore?

17. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

The ones sold now at Wal-Mart are not the same gun as the older ones. The triggers are plastic housings i believe and they are not available with 30 or 32" barrels. I think the bolts and carriers are all balck as well. Be fine for hunting no doubt.

18. Loyac

Loyac Member

I own 303s, 390s, 391s and an ES100. My favorite is the 390. John

19. number five man

number five man TS Member

I have two 391,s The one I shoot almost all the time is DeVault conversion. He calls ot a 391 Elite. I have over fifty thousand shells through it and it has seen the normal wear and tare. I shoot a release trigger and the stock was made for me. I shoot it as well as any gun that I have owned and that includes Perazzi, K.80 and Kolar. I shoot mostly rem. gun clubs and they are usaualy 3dr 7 1/2s. I can shoot them all day with the 391. I wouldn't want to try it with a hinge gun. They have their draw backs like any gun, But I am well pleased with my 391

20. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I picked up a Teknys Trap about 6 months ago and love it. Shot 200 doubles this morning with 1 oz. reloads and it worked flawlessly. The felt recoil is less than my 1100's. I haven't had experience with the other Beretta semi models, but IMHO, this is a pretty nice gun. No Complaints.

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.