1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Beretta 391 Urika Trap Please?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rodbuster, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I was considering the purchase of a Berreta AL391 Urika Trap Optima. Do any of you fine gentlemen have an opinion on this shotgun? Possibly does anyone own one? Thank you in advance for your time, Rodbuster.

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving.

2. Erik W

Erik W Member

Not the easiest gun to clean.

3. Frye

Frye TS Member

One word....."Browning"

I've shot the gun you're considering and liked it but if you're looking at a new one, your not far from the price of an O/E. I started shooting with an 1187 Premier Trap and still have it but found the semi's a pain in the neck for trap. I got tired of cleaning it all the time and fiddling around with rubber bands and shell catchers. That gun'll git 'er done so if you're hearts
    set on it, I doubt you'll be disappointed with it. They don't come cheap in my necks of the woods so my recommendation would be to shop a little and shoot everything you can get your hands on before you buy.

4. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I shoot a 391 Urika Parallell target for trap and love it and if I could only have one gun (heaven forbid) it would be a Urika 391. It has a shell catcher made by T&S that works great. It cycles my 7/8 oz reloads with no problems.I give the gas system a good cleaning twice a year. IMHO and experience, your best bet and best value for your bucks would be a used 391 Urika Parallel Target. You will never go wrong. PM me if you have any more ???. jm

5. Trauma901

Trauma901 Member

I have 2 of them, a 30" and a 32". Perhaps the finest semi-auto available. I have the 1100, and it's nice. I've got the Benelli, also, nice gun. However, the Beretta is by far the best pointing and shooting gun I own, especially for 100 and 200 round shoots. Both of mine are set up for trap with adj comb and buttplates. Once you get the hang of cleaning them, they're no big deal. Got the process down to about 20 min per, soaking the piston overnight in Hoppe's is the trick. I'm actually looking to sell the 32". Email if interested.(drop the x's)

Doug

6. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

I have a 391 Urika trap with 30 inch barrel factoey case and choke tubes for sale. Mark Mauch

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The best auto ever made in my opinion. Contrary to what some say, it's really not that difficult to clean at all and the beauty of it is that you don't have to do it that often. In my case, I can go well over 2000 rounds before I feel any need to clean it.

8. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Thank you gentlemen for the advice. I think they are a pretty neat looking gun. It also seems that they give you several useful accesories when you purchase one.

Out of curiousity Sprinklerman, how much are you asking for your 391 and where are you located? Also sent an e-mail to Trauma901.

9. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

I shoot regularly with one and it is great, 25s became routine once I started with it. With the Rem 1100 trap looking so tacky with that goofy gold eagle on the receiver, aestheically, the Beretta was the choice for me. The cleaning isn't that bad, unless you decide to dissassemble the piston, which really isn't necessary. I use the T&S shell catcher which works flawlessly.

On the downside, the wood on most I have seen is really chinsey - completely unfigured wood that has a milky layer of cheap poly on it.

10. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

If cleaned before you shoot, then you should be able to shoot 300 shots without a hitch - singles, caps and doubles. Even if not, you won't need to clean until you get to doubles. I reload, so the shell catcher keeps me from having to bend over so much to pick up hulls.

If you do have to clean it, it will take about 5-10 minutes to get to the rod that extends from the magazine, clean the powder residue off, and reassemble. That will get you through bunches of rounds. Since you have an hour between singles and caps, usually, and then another hour before doubles, I don't see that time is the issue.

My Browning GTI and Browning BPS Trap guns kick pretty hard, as compared to the 391. When you clean your 391 (or 1100/1187) think of it as "caressing the parts of the gun that kisses your cheek" as opposed to not having to fiddle with a gun that punches you like a right cross.

Danny

11. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

Private message set

12. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

Solid buy for the money, it's advisable to get an adjustable comb, it's gotta fit!!! which is first, last and always in trap shooting
    I put probably 5000 through mine without a jam.

13. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago, bought a 391 Parallel Target. My opinion of it was doomed in the first half hour of ownership. Took it out of the box and the dealer and I had to use a mallet to get the forend, barrel, and receiver to mate. Shot it okay, but it had the annoying habit of not cycling properly...would lock up and not eject empties and the bolt would only open when pulled back with enormous force. One thought was that the chamber in the barrel was drastically undersized. After several weeks of frustration with assembly/disassembly and recycling problems, sold it for $725 and took a $250 bath and never looked back. A used Browning XT is the way to go...totally reliability and no cleaning problems. You do see a lot of used 391s for sale...wonder why. Best Regards, Ed

14. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

I also have a 391 Parallel Trap. Had a trigger job done and the action cleaned up. Very sweet shooting gun. Normally shoot nothing but Brownings. Also have the T&S shell catcher and it does work for singles.
    Comes with a very nice hard case and choke tube's.
    Mike Cunningham
    Groveland, CA

15. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I've decided to sell my DeVault Elite Conversion, Spears Release, 30" barrel, Wrights Chokes LM----M, IM, LF, T &C catcher Angle port cap, Cole Gas system springs, new self cleaning gas piston, Hard case that enables to carry gun assembled ( parts to make trigger pull), angleport choke wrench & cole wrench for removing gas system springs---$2000.00 firm The stock is English Walnut.

Please PM for contact info---will send pictures in a few days.

Lou

16. UGB25

UGB25 TS Member

Hi Lou,
    I'm about to purchase a Beretta 391 Teknys Gold Trap. What does the DeVault Conversion consist of? What is their website? Is your 391 back bored, extended forcing cone and angle ported?
    Tom

17. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

rodbuster...

Do you shoot a release? If so, I have a like new 32" 391 with a lot of extras... Spears release, add on high rib, Hissen Comb and adjustable pad/plate, Briley closer, hard case. $1500 Shoot me an email if interested.

18. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Good afternoon bridgetoofar, I wound up purchasing a 30",Urika 391 trap. I have been experimenting with the spacers (shims), in an attempt to get the gun to shoot flatter. I don't shoot a release, but I was kind of curious if a 32" barrel would make any kind of difference. I guess I am used to my 1100 shooting rather flat, and I am trying to replicate that.

Have a happy new year, Rodbuster.

19. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

The DeVault conversion would add an adjustable rib and do a new stock and forearm for you if you like with an adjustable comb. Go to Ohio and get fitted if AT ALL POSSIBLE. Dennis will do you great!!!!!

20. RED Z06

RED Z06 Member

635G, you have a PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
391 trap
add on high rib for brettea 391 urika

beretta 391 trap

beretta 391 trap for sale
beretta 391 trap gun
beretta 391 urika trap