1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Ammuntion Wanted

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I was wondering about the Wolf brand .223 ammunition. It is their 62gr FMJ in steel case with boxer primer. I can get some at a very reasonable price and ONLY want it for plinking. I have others that i use for times when accuracy is crucial. I don't reload so i don't care about the cases. What problems am i likely to encounter and what additional cleaning procedures should i do after shooting it? Also what is berdin primed? ---Matt

The gun is a Stag Arms 5.56mm AR15. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Boxer has one hole in the middle. All your reloads are like this. Berdan primed has 2 holes and can't be reloaded, generally.

Nothing wrong with it for plinking aside than probably going to be dirty to clean well.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It is okay for plinking, not accuracy ammo.

Nothing different about cleaning your gun - it is non-corrosive just like any other ammo you might use.

Berdan primers ignite by crushing against an anvil that is part of the case. The flash then goes through two flash holes one on either side of the anvil. This is a common priming method with foreign military ammo. This stuff is non-reloadable regardless of the case material.

Boxer primers have the anvil built into the primer itself and the flash goes through a single central flash hole. This commonly what you get with US military and commercial ammo.

4. grntitan

Thanks guys!! Thats what i was hoping to hear. Any .223/5.56 ammunition i should steer clear of?

Matt

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

I have a personal prejudice against WOLF ammo in general and .223 in particular. Many years ago I built several H-BAR AR-15's for fun and for use in matches. I shot the last one I built for a few months and then when I stopped shooting competitively I sold it to a buddy and gave him an ammo can full of assorted US manufactured SS109 ammo. This is the 62 gr steel core stuff and shot very well in this particular rifle. My buddy (GOD bless his stingy little heart) when it came time to buy more ammo decided to buy WOLF 62gr FMJ. In a session of rapid fire he locked the AR up tighter than a drum. It took the services of a gunsmith to remove the glued in case (lacquer coated steel case)and repair the bolt. Seems that the lacquer won't take the heat and melts causing the case to stick which either pulls the extractor through the rim (if you are lucky) or rips the extractor out of the bolt (usually). I won't use WOLF at all.

In all fairness to WOLF they now claim the steel cases are Polymer coated so this won't happen any more.

It's your call but for not much more you can get good brass case ammo and not have the worry.

The brass case stuff is also available in non-reloadable (berdan primed)(very little more than steel case)or reloadable (boxer primed) (most expensive).

--- Chip King ---

6. ML

ML Member

Wolf ammo is nothing but Russian JUNK.

7. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Don't know how good a price you have found but we have been selling PMC brass case 223 ammo recently for 295.00 plus tax and any applicable shipping. It would have to be a big difference for me to use the steel cases---but that is just my opinion.

8. grntitan

Deercreek---A friend has 20 boxes and wants $2.00/box 20. He sold his AR15 and didn't need it anymore. I felt that was a good price but just wanted to make sure there were no issues with it.

I have shot quite a bit of the PMC and it shoots really well out of my gun. If the price you quoted is for a 1000 rounds thats a pretty good price. I've seen that stuff sell for as much as $8.99/box 20. Best i found was $5.99/box 20. I just hate spending over $4.00/box for plinking.

Matt

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Your friend is giving you an exceptional deal. Take the ammo, pay him, tell him thanks and maybe buy him a beer or two.

10. grntitan

Wolfram---The 20 boxes are already in a ammo can in my loading room. LOL I knew it was a good price as i've seen it selling for $3.99/box. He lives next door so as soon as you guys ok'd it i ran over there before he changed his mind. LOL I've hooked him up on hulls and reloading supplies before so he was happy to give me a deal. Thanks all for the input guys.

Matt

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I won't shoot wolf in the Ar's, but the Ak eats them well.

12. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

13. deercreek

Matt,

I understand about your deal. The price I stated was for a full case (1000). When the PMC 62 gr came out last year is was a couple of dollars more per box but now it is about the same.

I just received more bad news today from one of our distributors. March 1st Remington will have a price increase but I do not yet know how much. This is in addition to the already announced steep price increase by Federal, Speer, CCI that will be effective may 1st.

Bryan

14. deercreek

Matt,

I understand about your deal. The price I stated was for a full case (1000). When the PMC 62 gr came out last year is was a couple of dollars more per box but now it is about the same.

I just received more bad news today from one of our distributors. March 1st Remington will have a price increase but I do not yet know how much. This is in addition to the already announced steep price increase by Federal, Speer, CCI that will be effective may 1st.

Bryan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.