1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on 20ga Chambermates/Sidekicks

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CalvinMD, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Im trying to decide if I would be satified with a set of the shorter chamber subgauge adapters over a set of full length sub-gauge tubes with their own choke system...I will be only be looking at 20gauge to be used in a 12gauge 28" Browning GTI...these will be used for casual clay shooting only or light hunting in a pinch..no serious competition...I'm looking for your opinions from those who have owned and shot them extensively as to pattern/performance/range etc...I am already aware of the disadvantage of the need for a very vigorous cleaning and inspection of the area forward of the chamber before switching back to 12ga ammo...I am ok with that due to the weight savings as well as the money..I'm not interested in the half tubes stinger types...thanks in advance for letting me pick your brains...CalvinMD

P.S. I'm only looking at 20 in a 12 to reduce down 1 gauge ..I already have 28 in a 12 subgauge tubes for that gun as i think 28 shorteys would leave too much room for gas loss and sloppy combustion of the powder...just thinking

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

20ga may or may not properly reset your triggers with 20ga in your GTI. If not, they will have to be converted to function properly.

3. CalvinMD

I'm good to go in the trigger dept...my 28gauge tubeset was a custom fitted ultrlight set and Briley worked the triggers to work with the light 28's at the same time..it has the nicest trigger now I've ever had on a Browning..and I surely love ALL of my GTI's

4. CalvinMD

really???...I was thinking they had so much room to rattle on down the barrel that they barely had any snot to hit anything once they got clear..I dont see how they could pattern worth a dang

5. CalvinMD

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Calvin

I have Seminole Chambermates in 20 gauge, and Briley Sidekicks in 28 gauge. They both work fine.

The Chambermates are a little nicer because the o-ring keeps the gases from getting back to the breech face of your gun. But you have to replace the o-rings often. I usually only get about 2-3 rounds of skeet out of mine.

The Sidekicks are OK as long as you seal the tapered part of them with a good helping of Teflon plumbing tape. That helps keep the gases from getting back to the breech face of your gun.

I don't think I score any different in skeet when I use them.

I like shooting skeet with a 28 gauge best.

7. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

I had a set of 12-20 Chambermates that I used in InvP barrels on my Special Sporting Clays and I could never keep them from partially backing out of the chambers with the ejectors even when using the oversized O rings and/or Teflon tape. Wasn't a showstopper, but an annoyance. With Sidekicks that was never an issue. Might add, I also used the Chambermates in my Beretta and 3200 and they held snug.

That said, the best tubes I ever had was a set of short 12-20 Companions that fit the Browning. They were about 15 inches long and had choke tubes. They were long enough that the powder burned clean and yet short enough that you never noticed any difference in weight or balance of the gun. Of course, like a dumb a$$, I sold them. Wish I had them back.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Oh, and with the short tubes, either brand, you MUST use premium shells like STS, AA, or Gold Medals. Cheapie hulls get stuck and won't eject, and you have to pull the entire thing out and knock the offending hull out.

Reloads are OK, but again, as long as you use premium hulls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how well do briley sidekicks pattern

seminole chambermates reviews opinions