1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions of Toyota 4-runner

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kgun_shooter, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I have been thinking about buying one of these vehicles but don't know of anyone else who had previously owned one. All comments on this vehicle would be appreciated.

2. VAMiket

VAMiket Member

I am in my 5th 4Runner, that should tell you what I think of them.

Sky Dog

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Very good small SUV. They hold up well to off road use but don't think about towing anything. Decent fuel economy and manuverable. All around good value.

4. docl

docl TS Member

We've had four 4Runners, very reliable, just look under one. For example look at the A-arms and compare with other models you may be considering. The A-arms alone made me a believer, then just compare things that are important to you. For me structure, fit, finish, resale etc. Lewis

5. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

how tall are you? I am 6'4" and didn't fit in one at all....I ended up fitting into an 09 Honda Pilot, and it tows just fine!

6. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

2003 with 92000 miles, never been to the shop except for normal maintenance. This is our second one....great...ours has full time AWD and V-8. GaryL.

7. LABS4U0

LABS4U0 TS Member

+1 for the Honda Pilot. More room if you are taller and it comes with the 3rd seat(8 passenger). Darren

8. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

A few years ago my family was looking for an SUV and we were between a Toyota Highlander, Toyota 4Runner, and Honda Pilot. We went with the Pilot and couldn't be happier. Never had any issues and we are approaching 80,000 miles. Put on a towing package and it works great. It will be driven until it dies at which point I'm sure my parents will buy another one. I've heard great things about the 4Runner, and we were close to buying one, then test drove a Honda Pilot. Do the same, test drive a pilot.
    -Trappy

9. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Hmmm.....check Consumer's reports in terms of Reliability...the 4 Runner is #1... Check most off Road Magazines, 4 runners compete....Honda Pilots are for suburban yuppies to drive to the rally, where they park their Hondas and climb onto Toyotas....the 4 Runner is the REAL DEAL...I have a 1990 that works like a clock...super reliable!....My wife has a 2004 with the full time 4WD Lexus V8....go to Gearhead blogs and see which is really number one.....

No contest....Toyotas are for real off roaders....Hondas are for metrosexual yuppies.....

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The people I know that have the Toyota 4Runners are happy with them, I am to tall(6'5) for one but once I get in it, I can get comfortable ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I own a salvage yard and do not have a 4runner motor left on the shelf? I often wonder why if foriegn cars are so superior I sell all my foriegn car motors within a few months? Bill

12. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Thanks for all the replies! I have test driven the Tahoe, Trailblazer, Envoy, Pilot, Montero, and the 4Runner. The Tahoe was just a little too big and the gas mileage was crap. The Trailblazer and Envoy were both good looking vehicles but the ground clearance was that of a car so forget about taking them offroad. I liked the Pilot, it ran smoothe and was ver nice inside but it was just too plain for the money. Now the 4Runner was probably my favorite but I never jump into anything without doing research. The best deal I got so far was $31,500 for an 08 model that had a lot of features with 2.9% fincancing. The 09's were great but Toyota won't go below 6% on the finance. Does $31,000 sound like a good deal or should I keep looking.

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

kgun, I'd say that price is about where most dealers would draw the line but I always seem to find a better deal with small dealers on the last couple of days at the end of a month when someone's hungry for a sale. We went to a Highlander from an 86 Camry and I thought it was the cat's PJs. The wife was the primary driver, though, and didn't like the car-like feel; it's on a Camry frame. So off we went to our guy and wrangled a 4Runner (built on the truck frame) that she "always wanted" and she's happy but it's not a bit comfortable for this aging and painful body. For me the 4Runner lacks head space, leg space, with seat all the way back no adult can sit behind me and so on. It is solid and apparently built like a tank but I'd not keep it were I the person deciding. The head cook won't admit it but she does more grunting and twisting to get into the 4Runner than others too.....Bob Dodd

14. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Good friend has a 2008 Ford Explorer that he loves. Only off road is when he is on his gravel driveway.

Eric

15. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Well kgun, if you haven't tried an Explorer it's worth a shot. Before we got our Pilot we had a 94' Ford Explorer that we are still very happy with it. Don't know about the newer ones, but we couldn't have been happier with our old one.
    -Trappy

16. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I own a 2008 Explorer
    It has been flawless so far
    It is the 2nd Explorer We have owned the 1st one went 155,000 with only normal repair work
    We paid 28,000 for it and it is a well loaded eddie Bauer model
    I am 6'3" tall and I fit fine
    Also it has the 3rd row seats (the toyota did not offer that )

Just my feeling but buy american when you can.....

17. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

So trappy, why didn't you buy another Explorer? I've only had two in the last 17 years and they are still both going. I'm giving the oldest one to my son when he goes to grad school in the fall. It should get him through another five years if the midwest salt doesn't kill it!

Steve

18. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

The Pilot was a much better car, had better gas mileage, WAY more room in the back seat, Explorers at the time weren't getting the best ratings either. So yeah.
    -Trappy

19. acre44

acre44 Member

Rust Buckets.

Buy AMERICAN!!!!! Unless you want the Japanese and Germans to soon be the ONLY vehicle you can buy and send your money back across the pond to support those foreign jobs that do a lot for the American economy. OK let me hear about how those vehicles are made in America, how much of the money stays here? How much goes back across the pond?

Be a part of the solution, not the problem. 'nuff said!

20. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

I have had 3 of them and NEVER again!!! There are much better choices in SUV's in that size. They all had problems, ride like crap, no leg room and not much power. I will not buy one again. If your looking for that class check out the Acadia, Pathfinder and possibly a explorer. Of all of them the Acadia gets my nod.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.